BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help with a problem on oiling?

4 posters

Go down

Help with a problem on oiling? Empty Help with a problem on oiling?

Post  75bike January 16th 2014, 10:36 pm

I have a ticking noise on the right bank of my 460 in my super cab truck with an auto- sounds like near the front. I just pulled the right valve cover, started the engine, and seems like there is no oil coming out of the rocker through the pushrods on most of the positions. Only 2 or 3 shows any oil coming out. What do I need to check? I warmed it up for a short time. I looked at all of the rockers while it was idling and a ll seem to be moving up and down ok. Any suggestions where I start?
My oil pressure guage does move up upon startup and acts the same way as always. I dropped the pan about 6mo ago and replaced all of the rod bearings.

Thanks for your help.

Bob
Tucson

75bike

Back to top Go down

Help with a problem on oiling? Empty Re: Help with a problem on oiling?

Post  dfree383 January 16th 2014, 11:25 pm

Time for a real rebuild, bearings in place is rarely a long term success
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  LivermoreDave January 17th 2014, 7:23 am

Do you have a mechanical reference of oil pressure before and after the tick? In case the application is high mileage the oil pressure may be a bit low at idle. If the engine speed is raised above idle does the oiling improve? Considering the oiling does improve above idle and the engine's odometer is high, add a quart of transmission fluid into the engine's oil base, maybe a tarnished lifter.

On another note, if the rod bearings warranted replacement maybe the main bearing are in need of replacing as well. A worn bearing or excessive main bearing clearance will effect the amount of oil that bleeds off the main bearing as well the amount of oil that finds it's way to the rod bearing.

Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 January 18th 2014, 1:34 am

If you can locate the ticking rocker or rockers, I would remove the and check for excessive wear at the fulcrum. I have had the problem and it caused not enough lifter preload. I would also check the pushrod for straitness and make sure the oil feed hole through the pushrod is clear, just to be safe, while it is out. If you can idle the engine down with the valve cover off and use a stetascope, or a steel rod you may be able to find the offending lifters quicker. If not you can losen the rockers one at a time and check them all like adgusting a mech. cam, sort of. You need at least 1/4 turn on a hyd. cam after 0 lash on the nut. You may get lucky and it is something very simple and cheap to repair.  Also take heed from LiverMooreDave's post above, very good suggestions also. Good Luck.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down