BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

solid roller lifter recommendation

+8
CHARLIEB
kim
fordguy69
CDMBill
68galaxie
Lem Evans
cool40
dirt_worker
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

solid roller lifter recommendation - Page 2 Empty Re: solid roller lifter recommendation

Post  CHARLIEB June 9th 2014, 12:07 am

This is a good topic :
I have anybody heard or used Comp Cams Sportsman Solid Roller Lifters 96838B-16. The ones I listed with part number come with Bronze bushing axle. Comp Cam offers two version of the Sportsman lifters in Bronze bushing or Needle Bearing Axle.

Right now I have the Comp Cams Endure-X Roller Lifters 836-16 but was thinking about sending them back for the Sportsman with Bronze bushing.

Any though or comment on these lifters?
CHARLIEB
CHARLIEB

Back to top Go down

solid roller lifter recommendation - Page 2 Empty Re: solid roller lifter recommendation

Post  CDMBill June 9th 2014, 8:22 pm

I haven't used those particular lifters so I can't comment on them. My reason for changing from the needle bearing lifters to bushing style was two different failure events one which may not have started at the lifter and one that definitely did, but the result was the same, needle bits all over the place, particularly on the upper side of the piston skirt whoch resulted in an over bore and new pistons each time.

Eventually stuff will break, and while I haven't lost a bushing lifter yet, my thinking is that even if it seizes or something similar it will do less damage than the needles.

The sound you hear is me knocking wood.

CDMBill

Back to top Go down

Post  dirt_worker June 11th 2014, 11:37 pm

I ordered the Crower bearingless lifters today...
Cheap insurance imo Smile
dirt_worker
dirt_worker

Back to top Go down

Post  CHARLIEB June 12th 2014, 10:02 pm

CDMBill wrote:I haven't used those particular lifters so I can't comment on them. My reason for changing from the needle bearing lifters to bushing style was two different failure events one which may not have started at the lifter and one that definitely did, but the result was the same, needle bits all over the place, particularly on the upper side of the piston skirt whoch resulted in an over bore and new pistons each time.

Eventually stuff will break, and while I haven't lost a bushing lifter yet, my thinking is that even if it seizes or something similar it will do less damage than the needles.

The sound you hear is me knocking wood.

Hello bill, I think I'm going to exchange the comp cams 836-16 for the ones that are a step above the ones I have listed. My builder said the ones I have now will work wirh the cam profile he will spec out and I will be able to drive it on the street and be durable. I 'm not going to take that chance and have needles everywhere in the motor. I'm going to spend the extra money to be on the safe side.
CHARLIEB
CHARLIEB

Back to top Go down

Post  CHARLIEB June 12th 2014, 10:05 pm

dirt_worker wrote: I ordered the Crower bearingless lifters today...
Cheap insurance imo Smile

I hope your lifters serv you well with your build.
CHARLIEB
CHARLIEB

Back to top Go down

Post  dirt_worker June 14th 2014, 11:47 am

Wow..these bushed Crowers are nice!
dirt_worker
dirt_worker

Back to top Go down

Post  norm June 14th 2014, 11:18 pm

Do yours have the groove from the oil band to the oil hole already? I had to put a small groove on mine and have seen some that were grooved from the factory.
norm
norm

Back to top Go down

Post  tfsbbf466 June 15th 2014, 2:38 pm

Are all if these bushing-less lifters still $1000 plus? If I ever go back to a roller again this is my one and only choice. I'll never run a needle bearing solid lifter again.

tfsbbf466

Back to top Go down

Post  dirt_worker June 15th 2014, 6:06 pm

Yup...........but $1000 is cheap compared to the damage caused by a failed needle bearing.
dirt_worker
dirt_worker

Back to top Go down

Post  dirt_worker June 20th 2014, 9:32 am

Comp lifters on the left..crowers on the right.solid roller lifter recommendation - Page 2 20140617_194009_zpsnlpyj7ns
dirt_worker
dirt_worker

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 June 20th 2014, 10:37 am

Got to watch the bigger wheels they do change the cam specs.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty June 20th 2014, 10:45 am

dfree383 wrote:Got to watch the bigger wheels they do change the cam specs.
And pushrod length may need to change too
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  dirt_worker June 20th 2014, 11:01 am

I didnt change wheel size.
dirt_worker
dirt_worker

Back to top Go down

Post  CDMBill July 3rd 2014, 11:30 pm

.904's have a .810 wheel, .937's have an 8.50 IIRC. My engine builder didn't have BBF tooling for .937 so .904 was it. I would go the bigger size if I could have. Cam is spec'd for the .810"

CDMBill

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next