BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Breather on a street car?

5 posters

Go down

Breather on a street car?  Empty Breather on a street car?

Post  jasonf August 14th 2014, 1:50 pm

If I have a pcv valve do I need a valve cover breather as well? This is a street car.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Breather on a street car?  Empty Re: Breather on a street car?

Post  Lem Evans August 14th 2014, 3:36 pm

PCV on one and breather on the other is the way I'd do it.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon August 14th 2014, 4:36 pm

X2

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf August 14th 2014, 10:44 pm

Thanks Lem and Rick. That is what I typically do but here is my problem. The faux FE windsor in my Tbucket is getting a makeover. I have some 58-60 FE valve covers on it and they have no provisions for either of a pcv valve or oil cap. I added a small hole on the passenger side for the pcv valve but I was hoping to minimize the ugliness so to speak. Not to mention the tops of the valve covers are rounded and I am worried to big of a hole may make it hard to get a good seal on a breather. I won't know till I drill a hole and try.  Shocked 

Breather on a street car?  20140814_115040_zps6p8zxjr7
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon August 17th 2014, 3:57 pm

Holy shit Jason,that is one cool lookin Motor (sorry Lem ) I love it. I think some of the oem intakes on the old FE's had a breather tube in the intake. Cool lookin ride brother.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  466cj August 17th 2014, 3:59 pm

If you are not using a mechanical fuel pump I'd modify a fuel block off plate and add one there. You can also add it to the intake manifold. The PCV in the SEFI 5.0L engines had the PCV in the back of the intake manifold. They had a cylinder with shredded metal in it under the PCV I guess to keep the oil out. The breather hooked into the oil filler tube on the valve cover.

You could also add a tube to the side of the valve cover and run a hose to remote breather. Many just run to inside the air cleaner, but does not look like an option with those air cleaners.

Of course you could add a moon eye's breather to the valve cover side. Would be period correct look.

http://www.mooneyesusa.com/MOON-Breather-s/271.htm

Breather on a street car?  Breathers-jpg

466cj

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf August 17th 2014, 8:34 pm

466cj wrote:If you are not using a mechanical fuel pump I'd modify a fuel block off plate and add one there. You can also add it to the intake manifold. The PCV in the SEFI 5.0L engines had the PCV in the back of the intake manifold. They had a cylinder with shredded metal in it under the PCV I guess to keep the oil out. The breather hooked into the oil filler tube on the valve cover.

You could also add a tube to the side of the valve cover and run a hose to remote breather. Many just run to inside the air cleaner, but does not look like an option with those air cleaners.

I never thought of using the fuel pump plate. I just might try that.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf August 17th 2014, 8:47 pm

bbf-falcon wrote:Holy shit Jason,that is one cool lookin Motor (sorry Lem ) I love it. I think some of the oem intakes on the old FE's had a breather tube in the intake. Cool lookin ride brother.

Thanks Rick. The early ones did indeed have a oil filler in the front of the intake. I'm going to try just the pcv valve and add a breather if need be.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon August 17th 2014, 10:49 pm

jasonf wrote:
bbf-falcon wrote:Holy shit Jason,that is one cool lookin Motor (sorry Lem ) I love it. I think some of the oem intakes on the old FE's had a breather tube in the intake. Cool lookin ride brother.

Thanks Rick. The early ones did indeed have a oil filler in the front of the intake. I'm going to try just the pcv valve and add a breather if need be.

That will definitely work. Wink 

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  57custom August 30th 2014, 10:07 pm

Looks like a windsor that you have adapted those neat valve covers too. And an air gap dual quad this is really a darn nice looking engine. Smile
57custom
57custom

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf August 31st 2014, 9:31 am

57custom wrote:Looks like a windsor that you have adapted those neat valve covers too. And an air gap dual quad this is really a darn nice looking engine. Smile

It sure is. Thanks.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down