BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BG 400 fuel pump

+4
richter69
Tech @ BG
bruno
63boxtop
8 posters

Go down

BG 400 fuel pump Empty BG 400 fuel pump

Post  63boxtop November 14th 2009, 1:06 pm

mine took a crap for the 2nd time in 5 years, last time i sent it to them and the rebuilt for about $150, are they still in business or did they file for bankrupcy, i thought i saw a discussion on them a while ago

rick

63boxtop

Back to top Go down

BG 400 fuel pump Empty Re: BG 400 fuel pump

Post  bruno November 14th 2009, 9:41 pm

the BG rep is on here from time to time i will foward this to him and see if we can get a responce

www.OakleyMotorsports.com
www.Induction-Solutions.com
www.bfevansraceparts.com
www.ultimateconverter.com
www.keithfulpmotorsports.com
bruno
bruno

http://WWW.CKRME.COM

Back to top Go down

Post  Tech @ BG November 16th 2009, 11:39 am

63boxtop wrote:mine took a crap for the 2nd time in 5 years, last time i sent it to them and the rebuilt for about $150, are they still in business or did they file for bankrupcy, i thought i saw a discussion on them a while ago

rick
Still here repairing pumps as usual. With all the complaining on some of the boards regarding the amount we were charging we went back and looked at what our competitors charge and found we were a lot cheaper on some of the parts as we have not adjusted them in 15 years or better. There will be a price increase coming on some of the parts as a result of this so the sooner you get it in the better. Same procedure as before and right now they are trying to turn everything around in 7 business days or less once it hits the door.

Tech @ BG

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 November 16th 2009, 12:17 pm

So how much is a rebuild?
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Tech @ BG November 16th 2009, 12:20 pm

richter69 wrote:So how much is a rebuild?
Depending on what it needs right now the prices are set at 125.00 for a full bottom end rebuild and 54.00 for a motor. If it does not need everything then it will be less depending on what parts are actually needed.

Tech @ BG

Back to top Go down

Post  63boxtop November 16th 2009, 8:08 pm

thats not bad , mine will be heading your way via ups tomorrow

rick

63boxtop

Back to top Go down

Post  342g November 16th 2009, 11:14 pm

Repair it your self, o-ring sets are only 12.00 bucks, easy fix.
342g
342g
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  63boxtop November 16th 2009, 11:38 pm

its actually a motor problem so basically i get a new pump for $175, not sure if its my set up or just these pumps but the same exact thing happened about 5 years ago and they hooked me up in no time at all

rick

63boxtop

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf November 17th 2009, 12:30 am

63boxtop wrote:its actually a motor problem so basically i get a new pump for $175, not sure if its my set up or just these pumps but the same exact thing happened about 5 years ago and they hooked me up in no time at all

rick

So is 5 years the typical lifespan for one of these pumps? I ask because the noisy old blue pump has been in my Pinto since the 80's. BG 400 fuel pump Fresse
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug November 17th 2009, 8:24 am

jasonf wrote:
63boxtop wrote:its actually a motor problem so basically i get a new pump for $175, not sure if its my set up or just these pumps but the same exact thing happened about 5 years ago and they hooked me up in no time at all

rick

So is 5 years the typical lifespan for one of these pumps? I ask because the noisy old blue pump has been in my Pinto since the 80's. BG 400 fuel pump Fresse

my old blue pumps have been running since 1977, I keep a lower rebuild kit just in case... But all I ever did to it was take it apart and clean it out and make sure the screan was clear.....

Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  63boxtop November 17th 2009, 10:10 am

he had said that my input and out put lines wern't big enough but i'm using -10 on both sides so who knows

rick

63boxtop

Back to top Go down

Post  Tech @ BG November 17th 2009, 10:20 am

jasonf wrote:

rick

There are plenty of guys out there with them that have used them for longer then 5 years but like everything else no two situations will be the same. If you have been using a blue for 20+ years and it has not been repaired then consider yourself lucky.

Tech @ BG

Back to top Go down

Post  Tech @ BG November 17th 2009, 10:20 am

63boxtop wrote:he had said that my input and out put lines wern't big enough but i'm using -10 on both sides so who knows

rick
A -10an inlet line will cause cavitation over time and damage the pump.

Tech @ BG

Back to top Go down

Post  Tech @ BG November 17th 2009, 10:21 am

rick
Basically that would be the case if it needed everything. If not then you are only charged for the parts that it does need.

Tech @ BG

Back to top Go down

Post  bosshoss November 17th 2009, 1:30 pm

I have been running the BG 400 now for over 10 years. I have to say that they were the first guys to build a good single high volume pump for racing. However I think they have been surpassed in the last few years by the magna fuel and others. Still a decent pump but not the industry leader they once were.

As for rebuilding yourself yes the bottom O-ring is easy, I found that out when the last rebuild I got back from BG did not even have one. Went down to my industrial supply store and bought 2 spares for a couple of bucks. The top seal on the motor shaft however seems to be propietary... at least I havent been able to find a replacement yet. I have had the seal fail,,, start to leak gas 3 or 4 times now over the years. In a pinch I take the pump apart smear silicone grease on the seal and put it back together, works for a little while but doesnt last. Only problem I ever had with the motor was a bad bearing, easy fix standard skf bearing easy to replace.

Other issue is the cheesy adjustable bypass assembly. I tried adjusting, I tried shims, I tried several times but I could never get the thing to create enough back pressure to create the 28-30 lb pressure at the pump they claim it can make. Finally I just plugged it and went to a return line system with a QFT regulator at the front of the car.

This is just my experience, I realize this is probably the most common pump in use today and works very well in a lot of situations. In fact I still use it, just carry a hot spare.

Currently running rear mounted pump,-12 suction line, -10 to front reg, -10 return to the rear mounted tank, feeds a 900hp, A460 head Super Gas car best et 8.31 @ 165.

dkp
bosshoss
bosshoss
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  342g November 17th 2009, 2:38 pm

bosshoss wrote:I have been running the BG 400 now for over 10 years. I have to say that they were the first guys to build a good single high volume pump for racing. However I think they have been surpassed in the last few years by the magna fuel and others. Still a decent pump but not the industry leader they once were.

As for rebuilding yourself yes the bottom O-ring is easy, I found that out when the last rebuild I got back from BG did not even have one. Went down to my industrial supply store and bought 2 spares for a couple of bucks. The top seal on the motor shaft however seems to be propietary... at least I havent been able to find a replacement yet. I have had the seal fail,,, start to leak gas 3 or 4 times now over the years. In a pinch I take the pump apart smear silicone grease on the seal and put it back together, works for a little while but doesnt last. Only problem I ever had with the motor was a bad bearing, easy fix standard skf bearing easy to replace.

Other issue is the cheesy adjustable bypass assembly. I tried adjusting, I tried shims, I tried several times but I could never get the thing to create enough back pressure to create the 28-30 lb pressure at the pump they claim it can make. Finally I just plugged it and went to a return line system with a QFT regulator at the front of the car.

There is a company that sells the o-rings, I have bought them a few times, I will see if I can find the web-site.

This is just my experience, I realize this is probably the most common pump in use today and works very well in a lot of situations. In fact I still use it, just carry a hot spare.

Currently running rear mounted pump,-12 suction line, -10 to front reg, -10 return to the rear mounted tank, feeds a 900hp, A460 head Super Gas car best et 8.31 @ 165.

dkp
342g
342g
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  63boxtop November 17th 2009, 7:44 pm

guess i'll upgrade my inlet to a -12 and see iff that gets me some more life out of it

rick

63boxtop

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down