BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

E85 question.....

+5
dfree383
Dave De
butterbean
the Coug
DILLIGASDAVE
9 posters

Go down

E85 question..... Empty E85 question.....

Post  DILLIGASDAVE December 12th 2014, 3:31 am

Am I correct in thinking that the mixed alcohol & gas in E85 separate out when poured into an E85 % tester, and that the separation line between the two fuels is what gives you the % line/mark on the tester?

If true does E85 also easily separate out while just sitting in the fuel cell, or a 5 gallon fuel jug, or a 55 gallon drum?
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

E85 question..... Empty Re: E85 question.....

Post  the Coug December 12th 2014, 9:45 am

Dave it doesn't separate but it is not good on carbs, it has a binder in it to make the ethanol stick to the gasoline. It is the binder that plays hell with everything, they do make a Enzyme stabilizer that I have to use to makes that Crap run without screwing up carbs....But in the End you still have to take the carbs apart and clean the jets if they act up...( at least on all the small engines around here)

If you try to Buy 100% gasoline forget that the Gov has made it ok to put up to 10% ethanol in fuel with out having to tell the public
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  butterbean December 12th 2014, 2:35 pm

The tester will tell you the % of the fuel when adding a little water and shaken, then you let it set for 1 minute and read the line on the tester, if you don't have a tester the snap-on tool guy sells them on the truck for 10 bucks, I've been using E-85 sense 2009 and have had good luck with it, but we don't have winter blend in south Florida (winter blend is 70/30) and I thing it does give the northern guys some trouble
butterbean
butterbean

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave De December 12th 2014, 11:14 pm

I've been using it for 4 years now and will convert my other engine to it next year. The test kits are used just like Butterbean said. I find that the water should be regular unfiltered tap water for the best visualization of the line that shows the concentration.
I only run my stuff when there are summer blends and the concentration has been within 2 percent of 85.
There are so many positive reasons to use E85 and very few negatives.
Dave De
Dave De

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE December 13th 2014, 4:36 am

D'oh, I missed the part about having to add some water to the % tester to make the separation line show up. Embarassed I guess it makes sense a fuel mix wouldn't work worth a siht if it could easily separate out on it's own just sitting there.  Laughing  

Thanks guys.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave De December 13th 2014, 10:41 am

We knew that you didnt consider adding water.
Alcohol is almost totally soluable in gasoline or in this case considering the 15% to 85% ratio its the other way around.

Pump gas alcohol content E10
The problem with E10 is that water and impurities attach to the alcohol, it seperates from the gas and that's when the damage begins. If the ratio of alcohol was higher there would be more capability to handle impurities before degredation. E15 or E20 may be better. There is talk about the maximum alcohol allowable content going up. We will see.
Dave De
Dave De

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 December 13th 2014, 1:19 pm

It's federally mandated to go up.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  FalconEh December 13th 2014, 8:08 pm

I use this to stop the "moisture in the fuel problems" and it has worked very well http://www.starbrite.com/en/startron
As for the Alcohol content, they do need a % of the fuel to contain gasoline to make it visible when burning, as alcohol burns clear. I am not sure what the minimum % requirement is to achieve this or if they can color the burn with something else.
FalconEh
FalconEh

Back to top Go down

Post  DFI429 December 13th 2014, 8:21 pm

FalconEh wrote:As for the Alcohol content, they do need a % of the fuel to contain gasoline to make it visible when burning, as alcohol burns clear. I am not sure what the minimum % requirement is to achieve this or if they can color the burn with something else.

LOL... And what facts/references do you have to support this?  As ridiculous as the Gov/EPA can be,  I can't see the combustion flame front color being in any consideration.. Hell, they'll only be happy once we have cold air coming out the pipes Rolling Eyes
DFI429
DFI429

http://home.comcast.net/~dfi429/

Back to top Go down

Post  FalconEh December 13th 2014, 8:39 pm

DFI429 wrote:
FalconEh wrote:As for the Alcohol content, they do need a % of the fuel to contain gasoline to make it visible when burning, as alcohol burns clear. I am not sure what the minimum % requirement is to achieve this or if they can color the burn with something else.

LOL... And what facts/references do you have to support this?  As ridiculous as the Gov/EPA can be,  I can't see the combustion flame front color being in any consideration.. Hell, they'll only be happy once we have cold air coming out the pipes Rolling Eyes

http://www.ethanolrfa.org/page/-/rfa-association-site/pdf/RFAE85FUELETHANOL090301.pdf?nocdn=1
FalconEh
FalconEh

Back to top Go down

Post  DFI429 December 13th 2014, 9:32 pm

FalconEh wrote:
DFI429 wrote:

http://www.ethanolrfa.org/page/-/rfa-association-site/pdf/RFAE85FUELETHANOL090301.pdf?nocdn=1

Your reference is direct to the independent RFA, where is the visible flame reference??.. Where is the government requirement for a visible flame??
DFI429
DFI429

Back to top Go down

Post  FalconEh December 13th 2014, 10:11 pm

DFI429 wrote:
FalconEh wrote:
DFI429 wrote:

Your reference is direct to the independent RFA, where is the visible flame reference??.. Where is the government requirement for a visible flame?

Really, pg 12 has a reference to appearance, kinda splitting hairs here but hey...What does DFI stand for or I do I have to guess? Rolling Eyes
FalconEh
FalconEh

Back to top Go down

Post  DFI429 December 14th 2014, 6:19 pm

FalconEh wrote:Really, pg 12 has a reference to appearance, kinda splitting hairs here but hey...What does DFI stand for or I do I have to guess? Rolling Eyes

Not trying to split any hairs at all.. just questioning your original statement "they do need a % of the fuel to contain gasoline to make it visible when burning".  I've never heard of such a requirement.  Page 12 of the reference sited is full of general statements, none of which answer the question.

And my forum username is irrelevant, so don't concern yourself.
DFI429
DFI429

Back to top Go down

Post  72mav December 14th 2014, 6:32 pm

Www.raceone85.com
72mav
72mav

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick December 14th 2014, 7:41 pm

I believe some sanctioning bodies (like sprint cars burning methanol) require an additive to the fuel to create a yellow flame. Otherwise, it's sometimes difficult to know if a crashed car is on fire, as the alcohol has very little visible flame. Safety issue.
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down