BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Motor plate preference

+8
gmsmkr
jbozzelle
D. Sea
cool40
HorsinAround
Mike R
69F100
69BOSS
12 posters

Go down

Motor plate preference Empty Motor plate preference

Post  69BOSS January 27th 2015, 1:09 pm

I have a 69 Mustang with a Mustang II suspension and will be installing motor plates. I know a lot of you here have experience with using motor plates, so I am wondering if there is a brand preference, and for the mid plate steel or aluminum?

Staci
69BOSS
69BOSS

Back to top Go down

Motor plate preference Empty Re: Motor plate preference

Post  69F100 January 27th 2015, 1:30 pm

Call Keith Fulp 1-678-458-2033 he make some nice motor plate and mid plates he can also custom make you one.
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike R January 27th 2015, 8:53 pm

X2 for Keith, hell of a nice guy and his parts and prices are second to none

Mike R

Back to top Go down

Post  HorsinAround January 28th 2015, 10:02 am

Mike R wrote:X2 for Keith, hell of a nice guy and his parts and prices are second to none

"hell of a nice guy" Geez not sure I'd go that far. lol seriously though, I'll 3rd this because he is super to work with. Especially with custom orders.
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

http://www.frontpagefab.com

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 January 28th 2015, 11:02 am

X4 for Keith! I have a steel mid plate but aluminum works fine also just thicker. Cool
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  D. Sea January 28th 2015, 1:54 pm

My Setup ---> Aluminum front late and steel (nearly same thickness as the stock block plate) mid plate with fore-aft limiters.
D. Sea
D. Sea

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle January 29th 2015, 11:57 pm

Yep. Give Keith a call. He's wheelie58 on here. I sent him my AutoCAD file of my midplate, he tweaked it a bit, added the starter location and sent it out to the laser to get cut all while on vacation! That's customer service!!!

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Motor plate preference Empty Thanks for replies

Post  69BOSS February 1st 2015, 4:06 pm

Thanks for your responses and the referral to Kieth.

I contacted Kieth, a nice person to talk with and knowledgeable. He emailed drawings of his plates. They look good, better than the generic stuff out there. I especially like the design of the mid plate. I think I am going to use the steel mid plate so I don't have to use a spacer for the converter.

I will be sending the car off to the fabricator in April. He is going to smooth the firewall and inner fenders, install a manual rack and the engine plates and fab up a set of headers. I am leaning toward using the stiletto rack.

The engine is a 71 CJ block, 545 CI, ported BT heads, victor intake, 1150 dom. It should make a little power.

Staci
69BOSS
69BOSS

Back to top Go down

Post  gmsmkr February 2nd 2015, 8:04 pm

Question Not to hi jack your thread but can somebody please post a pic of there mid limiter set up.
gmsmkr
gmsmkr

Back to top Go down

Post  BigRigTech February 3rd 2015, 2:55 pm

Kieth made me a custom plate for my Mustang based off my design requirements. Really easy to work with on the design, it fits great and the price was good too.
BigRigTech
BigRigTech

Back to top Go down

Post  BigRigTech February 3rd 2015, 3:03 pm

these are when I was making mine. Pretty simple but it works. I plated the area I needed the mounts to be welded to. I welded 3/8" nuts to the back of the tabs to make installing the engine easier.

Motor plate preference 10869488_10152890559985867_4021997448657461035_o_zpsx0mkyhi2

Motor plate preference 10338767_10152478356010867_5589019947512510675_n_zpslz7xaeei
BigRigTech
BigRigTech

Back to top Go down

Post  Wheelie58 February 16th 2015, 9:49 am

I was cruising the forum and found all of the nice comments.
Many forum members have my front and mid plates and also gone through the custom plate process with me.
If it has a BBF bolt pattern on it, and you can dream up a size and shape, I can make it.
As I bring the motor plate work to my own in-house CNC mill this year, it will make the process smoother.
Thank you all !
Keith Fulp
President - Keith Fulp Motorsports
678-458-2033
Wheelie58
Wheelie58

http://www.keithfulpmotorsports.com

Back to top Go down

Post  HorsinAround February 16th 2015, 3:19 pm

Keith, Why don't you get a CNC plas or laser. The thought of finding a source that could give me timely response for all my custom metal designs just gets me all giddy. lol.

Actually it is something I am investigating for myself.
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle February 17th 2015, 11:38 am

Keith made me a plate while he was on vacation a few weeks ago...

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Wheelie58 February 20th 2015, 7:41 am

[quote="HorsinAround"]Keith, Why don't you get a CNC plas or laser. The thought of finding a source that could give me timely response for all my custom metal designs just gets me all giddy. lol.

Actually it is something I am investigating for myself.[/quote

Allan,
The CNC Plasma machines are affordable and work for many things, but the finish lacks the appearance and precision that a laser has. A large production laser is over $200,000. The shop that lasers all of my parts currently is shopping for a new one in the $400,000 range.
I usually get fast turn around with my current vendor, who happens to be a buddy. He gives me a fair price and I have lots of flexibility and access to his shop. I will just keep outsourcing the laser work. There are several laser shops around here to choose from also.

I did recently purchase my own 3-axis CNC milling machine. It is a very heavy duty production machine that I rescued from repo and now have ready to run. It has a 40" X table travel, making it great for motor plates and mid plates. It has enough room for a BBF block. All along, I have been using the big 4-axis CNC mill at Engine Systems. He keeps it busy with engine block work, and some times I had to wait to use it. Now, I will be able to just walk out in to my own shop and whittle out parts instead of driving 40 miles.

Thanks,
Keith

Wheelie58
Wheelie58

Back to top Go down

Post  HorsinAround February 20th 2015, 9:19 am

Wheelie58 wrote:
HorsinAround wrote:Keith, Why don't you get a CNC plas or laser. The thought of finding a source that could give me timely response for all my custom metal designs just gets me all giddy. lol.

Allan,
The CNC Plasma machines are affordable and work for many things, but the finish lacks the appearance and precision that a laser has. A large production laser is over $200,000. The shop that lasers all of my parts currently is shopping for a new one in the $400,000 range.
I usually get fast turn around with my current vendor, who happens to be a buddy. He gives me a fair price and I have lots of flexibility and access to his shop. I will just keep outsourcing the laser work. There are several laser shops around here to choose from also.

I did recently purchase my own 3-axis CNC milling machine. It is a very heavy duty production machine that I rescued from repo and now have ready to run. It has a 40" X table travel, making it great for motor plates and mid plates. It has enough room for a BBF block. All along, I have been using the big 4-axis CNC mill at Engine Systems. He keeps it busy with engine block work, and some times I had to wait to use it. Now, I will be able to just walk out in to my own shop and whittle out parts instead of driving 40 miles.

Thanks,
Keith

That is good to know. We have 3 4 axis CNC mill's and 4 CNC wire edm's at work but it's difficult to get my projects in. For some reason they think production stuff comes first lol.
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

Back to top Go down

Post  70FB February 21st 2015, 10:07 am

gmsmkr wrote: Question Not to hi jack your thread but can somebody please post a pic of there mid limiter set up.

Here is mine. Coan supplied the plate,spacers and all to attach the BBF-Powerglide.
Motor plate preference 1-5-2014016_zpsc1dca948

Front plate is one of Keith's that he custom cut. Awesome piece.
Motor plate preference 0315140002_zpsd08dab41

Don't forget a limiter too.
Motor plate preference 0405141819_zps5c1753bb
70FB
70FB
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Wheelie58 February 21st 2015, 10:49 am

That looks nice!
Thanks
Keith
Wheelie58
Wheelie58

Back to top Go down

Post  gmsmkr February 21st 2015, 11:41 am

That does look nice thanks for posting Cool
gmsmkr
gmsmkr

Back to top Go down

Post  Doug Rahn February 22nd 2015, 6:47 am

Wheelie58 wrote:
HorsinAround wrote:Keith, Why don't you get a CNC plas or laser. The thought of finding a source that could give me timely response for all my custom metal designs just gets me all giddy. lol.

Allan,

Thanks,
Keith

8)Cool, maybe one day I'll have to get you to whittle out one like this for me.  Wink
Motor plate preference RearMP_zpsac23d096
Doug Rahn
Doug Rahn
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/228081

Back to top Go down

Post  Wheelie58 February 28th 2015, 9:00 am

Doug,
That is a beautiful drawing!
Looks like like an aircraft person designed it....:-)
Keith

Doug Rahn wrote:
Wheelie58 wrote:

Allan,

Thanks,
Keith

8)Cool, maybe one day I'll have to get you to whittle out one like this for me.  Wink
Motor plate preference RearMP_zpsac23d096
Wheelie58
Wheelie58

Back to top Go down

Post  Doug Rahn February 28th 2015, 3:25 pm

I did have an Engineer friend at work help with the design, his numbers said it's just as strong as a solid plate, just lighter. Solid one would weigh 11.2 lbs. and my version weighs in at 7.7 lbs., plus mine looks cooler Cool Smile
Doug Rahn
Doug Rahn
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/228081

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down