BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nitrous vs Roots Blower

2 posters

Go down

Nitrous vs Roots Blower Empty Nitrous vs Roots Blower

Post  XF-66 October 6th 2015, 3:28 pm

Last season I crewed on a Dragboat team. We won our division championship in the Lucas Dragboat series. We ran a BBC with a BDS 6-71 huffer. I had no experience tuning with a blower and by the end of the season I was pretty impressed with a blowers ability to either dial up or down boost for changing conditions at the track a tooth at a time.

I'm in the process of building a lake hotrod/bracket V-drive dragboat. I'd like to blow my 533 BBF, but the crank snout could become an issue over time. Hence the Nitrous questions.

My motor is a pump gas deal with 10:1 Kasse SCJ heads with bowl work. It has Icon dished pistons, Weiand tunnel ram ported with a couple 750's on top. I will upgrade the carbs latter on to a larger pair. Cam specs. SFT @.050 267-272 lift 658-678 lsa 110. Open dry header. Motor should make horsepower in the high 600's to very low 700's NA.  The block is an factory iron block with all forged internals, so I'd like to limit the horsepower to 800 or so.

I'm looking for a plate system than rather a fogger setup for now.  This way the wife and I can enjoy boating on the weekend with NA horsepower, then when at the track I could squeeze a little more out of the engine. I'm running an old school magneto and understand I need to step up to a CD box for better ignition control.  

So my question is....

With a nitrous system, are finite adjustment possible? Say I need to pull a tenth out of my ET, or even add a tenth. Is this possible? How adjustable are plate systems with jets? I won't need anything over 175 real hp. Also is a additional fuel tank needed to run a higher octane fuel to prevent detonation at the horsepower level I plan on running?  

I am totally green to Nitrous.
Nitrous seems like a nice way to add a little more to one's setup as long as you don't go "Toooo" overboard.

TIA

Art

XF-66

Back to top Go down

Nitrous vs Roots Blower Empty Re: Nitrous vs Roots Blower

Post  supervel45 October 6th 2015, 4:29 pm

Yes you can tune the plates to any HP you like. You will need higher octane fuel for a 175HP shot but, you could drain your tank, and use it when you race. If you want to use it at other times a second tank would be more economical for fuel costs.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  XF-66 October 6th 2015, 11:41 pm

supervel45 wrote:Yes you can tune the plates to any HP you like. You will need higher octane fuel for a 175HP shot but, you could drain your tank, and use it when you race. If you want to use it at other times a second tank would be more economical for fuel costs.

Good idea! The hull has a ten gallon T-tank and I can run it with a couple gallons or three in it at a time. Boat is fired at the most for a minute total. It's a ten to eight second run. All I'd have to is just top it off before a run. I'd leave nothing in the tank during it's down time, SOP is to drain all fuel from the tank and float bowls at end of day.

Thanks...

I just read where a fogger uses less to make more power. Is that true? Seems like this would be a much cleaner and more accurate "Tune" setup.

XF-66

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 October 7th 2015, 6:48 am

The fogger makes a little more power because it distributes the fuel more evenly to each cylinder, and I think being closer to the intake valve helps. The plate seem to cool the whole intake charge more and make better low end power. In theory the fogger would be more tuneable because you have a jet at every cylinder and you could balance the engine if some cylinders are leaner than others. As for as controlling total power out put compared to a plate system, I don't see where it would matter.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down