BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How fast in unwelded axle tubes?

2 posters

Go down

How fast in unwelded axle tubes?  Empty How fast in unwelded axle tubes?

Post  Foxfire85 October 11th 2015, 1:20 am

Soooo do any of you have some numbers on how fast you've been with unwelded 8.8 tubes?

I just got my rear together. Team z strip series uppers, team z lowers, team z arb, strange pro race axles 33 spline, spool, and 4.30 gear.

Motor is relatively mild to what a lot of you are running. Somewhere between 10.5-11/1 compression. .530 lift cam, 280 duration. Ported, bigger valved c8's. Nothing fancy. Will be a footbrake car with a c6. Don't know what converter yet though. Probably won't until next spring when I actually have the money.

I'm just curious if I can get by with bracing to keep twisting and deflection down or if I need to have those welded to center section. I actually was going to have speed shop here in cincinnati weld them a few days ago but they said they didn't have the right pucks for the housing ends for the jig which I thought was weird seeing as to how common this rear end is, but I'm just exploring my options. Thanks in advance.
Foxfire85
Foxfire85

Back to top Go down

How fast in unwelded axle tubes?  Empty Re: How fast in unwelded axle tubes?

Post  yellowhorse7 October 11th 2015, 8:47 am

9.90's but that was eon's ago when it was a small block on a small kit. Never waited around until they did. With the torque of the BB I would be careful, even at your power level. That being said the 8.8 can take a TON of power if braced correctly, at least in my experience.
yellowhorse7
yellowhorse7

Back to top Go down

Post  Foxfire85 October 11th 2015, 10:17 am

yellowhorse7 wrote:9.90's but that was eon's ago when it was a small block on a small kit. Never waited around until they did. With the torque of the BB I would be careful, even at your power level. That being said the 8.8 can take a TON of power if braced correctly, at least in my experience.  

Yeahhhhhh, I feel you man. I think I know deep down I need to just pull it out and have it welded. Less of a hassle I'm sure than spinning or cracking a tube. Can you recommend proper bracing techniques for me? Even in addition to welding? I'd like this thing to live a while. It seems to be an argumentative topic for guys to want to say some bracing does nothing in certain configurations where in other configurations it can be very effective.

Thank you for the reply, btw
Foxfire85
Foxfire85

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down