BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Absolute maximum rod side clearance , have one rod .010 thinner.

3 posters

Go down

Absolute maximum rod side clearance , have one rod .010 thinner. Empty Absolute maximum rod side clearance , have one rod .010 thinner.

Post  ED468 January 16th 2016, 1:21 am

I bought a set of used Eagle h-beams for a 351w about a yr, ago. Just now getting them checked and noticed one cap has been switched ,that don"t really bother me if resized but its staggered .010 and will add that clearance to one journal after machined flat. I would think it be better to use it on the last journal possibly. Its a budget street motor, but if close to .030 rod clearance on one journal is no good then i might buy one new rod if i can get it close to same weight. I think I know its a no go lol,I suspect it would be under .030 side clearance, but done out $250. Just like to be sure .,,,Ed

Last edited by ED468 on January 16th 2016, 3:02 am; edited 1 time in total

ED468

Back to top Go down

Absolute maximum rod side clearance , have one rod .010 thinner. Empty Re: Absolute maximum rod side clearance , have one rod .010 thinner.

Post  cool40 January 16th 2016, 2:00 am

Run it...
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Absolute maximum rod side clearance , have one rod .010 thinner. Empty staggerd cap

Post  ED468 January 16th 2016, 3:17 am

Are u saying machine each side till flat and run it .010 more side clearance. If I only needed to do on side flat , maximum width be stock, I just be worried about the step in middle eating into other side of rod , but top outer half of rod might run fine on the outside of crank, would taper step back to keep from wearing crank. Through a 466 together a few yrs ago with a used cam from friend with lifters in order still with only 75 passes and had a few lifter go down ruining motor. I've never had a cam go down before and it should of been already broke in/work hardened, now I'm gun shy on cutting corners. But might never get done as broke as my a$$ is. Will be mostly street and running HV pump. Getting old and don't trust ny judgement anymore Rolling Eyes  Thanks guys for you comment. I will buy a new if anyone thinks It wont last. Thanks Cool 40, just like one more oppinion before i start putting together, want it done by spring if possible Smile

ED468

Back to top Go down

Absolute maximum rod side clearance , have one rod .010 thinner. Empty Re: Absolute maximum rod side clearance , have one rod .010 thinner.

Post  rmcomprandy January 17th 2016, 1:46 am

I have run over .100" with piston guided rods but, have seen lots of normal engines with .040" or so which ran just fine.

MINIMUM side clearance is more important ... which should be 4 times the bearing clearance.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Absolute maximum rod side clearance , have one rod .010 thinner. Empty clearance

Post  ED468 January 17th 2016, 2:50 am

Thanks again RANDY !! I was pretty sure the oil was metered by the bearing clearance and side clearance wouldnt effect it too much, But read it both ways and wanted to be sure. Now I wont loose no sleep...Smile

ED468

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 January 17th 2016, 2:02 pm

ED468 wrote:Thanks again RANDY !! I was pretty sure  the oil was metered by the bearing clearance and side clearance wouldnt effect it too much, But read it both ways and wanted to be sure. Now I wont loose no sleep...Smile
i had a bearing problem and had to turn the crank,ended up with extra side clearance but never noticed any issues with it. The old stroker I had made from a stock crank and 300 six rods had a hell of a bunch.between the rods and solid lifters it sounded almost like a Chevy! Razz
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down