BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pit trans cooler

4 posters

Go down

Pit trans cooler Empty Pit trans cooler

Post  HorsinAround April 8th 2016, 2:36 pm

Does anything need to be done to the C6 to use an external trans cooler? I have seen some that have a pump and run through plate and fin coolers with fans and connect with couplers. This seems like a great way to cool the trans but only if it will cool the converter as well.
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

http://www.frontpagefab.com

Back to top Go down

Pit trans cooler Empty Re: Pit trans cooler

Post  Frank Merkl April 8th 2016, 7:22 pm

no way to to circulate the oil in the converter without the motor running . we run a fan under the car and have the lower part of the trans bell cut off and 4 - 2 1/2" holes cot in the top of the bellhousing and if were pressed for time with heat in the trans we'll spray water on the converter and trans pan with a weed sprayer
Frank
Frank Merkl
Frank Merkl

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper April 8th 2016, 11:10 pm

We use an electric leaf blower with a downspout elbow duct taped to the end to turn the air up.

Works great.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE April 12th 2016, 4:55 am

HorsinAround wrote:Does anything need to be done to the C6 to use an external trans cooler? I have seen some that have a pump and run through plate and fin coolers with fans and connect with couplers. This seems like a great way to cool the trans but only if it will cool the converter as well.

If you're talking about the external pit trans coolers like the Pro Mods use IIRC on a LencoDrive or 'Glide you can either (A) just circulate the fluid sitting in the pan (out to the cooler & back, but no converter cooling). Or (B) pull from the pan out to the cooler, & return back to the trans tapping into the cooler line/cooler line bypass (both pan & converter cooling). Might work on a C-6 if the C-6 trans front pump & valvebody will allow fluid flow to be pushed/pumped backward through the converter by the external cooler pump.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  HorsinAround April 12th 2016, 8:18 am

Frank Merkl wrote:no way to to circulate the oil in the converter without the motor running . we run a fan under the car and have the lower part of the trans bell cut off and 4  - 2 1/2" holes cot in the top of the bellhousing  and if were pressed for time with heat in the trans we'll spray water on the converter and trans pan with a weed sprayer
Frank
Got any pictures? I would like to do this also but don't want to sacrifice integrity of the stock bell.
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Merkl April 12th 2016, 10:49 pm

this is what I do on all my race trany's
Frank

Pit trans cooler 20160412_203723_zpsstbdvydi
Pit trans cooler 20160412_203704_zpstqltnjbq
Frank Merkl
Frank Merkl

Back to top Go down

Pit trans cooler Empty Re Pictures

Post  HorsinAround April 13th 2016, 11:38 am

Thanks for the pictures Frank. I am going to do this to the C6 I have on the bench right now, and will do it to the one in the truck when I drop it out next time.
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper April 13th 2016, 4:51 pm

The holes like that are SFI legal as well on an SFI case if you do it within their guidelines. We do them to all ours as well for turbo cars and higher horsepower builds unless the customer request otherwise.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down