BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Burnout recommendation

+2
rmcomprandy
Dave De
6 posters

Go down

Burnout recommendation Empty Burnout recommendation

Post  Dave De April 18th 2016, 9:56 pm

I'm at the track last Saturday doing my 6 runs for my license. The second run which is a moderate run where I planned to lift at the 1000 ft mark and this happened to me as I rolled thru the water box in the right lane. The starter noticed some fluid in the left tire groove and mopped it up then used another mop with something else on it but never touched the right groove. I waited long enough that I had to back up in the water again. I did a regular burnout then went up to the line. When the light lit I let go of the TB button and the front end lifted moving right where if I stayed in it contact with the wall would have happened. I saved it by rolling out of it quickly.
The rest of the runs that day the car went straight as an arrow. I started to think that whatever was done to the left groove made it hook much better than the right for that correction where I was the next one thru.
When or if this happens again I want to do a burn out across the line to equalize the tire grooves. Am I correct with this thinking? My car can carry 50ft down the track and I dont want to have a wall experience.
Dave De
Dave De

Back to top Go down

Burnout recommendation Empty Re: Burnout recommendation

Post  rmcomprandy April 18th 2016, 10:38 pm

Dave De wrote:I'm at the track last Saturday doing my 6 runs for my license. The second run which is a moderate run where I planned to lift at the 1000 ft mark and this happened to me as I rolled thru the water box in the right lane. The starter noticed some fluid in the left tire groove and mopped it up then used another mop with something else on it but never touched the right groove. I waited long enough that I had to back up in the water again. I did a regular burnout then went up to the line. When the light lit I let go of the TB button and the front end lifted moving right where if I stayed in it contact with the wall would have happened. I saved it by rolling out of it quickly.
The rest of the runs that day the car went straight as an arrow. I started to think that whatever was done to the left groove made it hook much better than the right for that correction where I was the next one thru.
When or if this happens again I want to do a burn out across the line to equalize the tire grooves. Am I correct with this thinking? My car can carry 50ft down the track and I dont want to have a wall experience.

Personally, I think the fluid seen on the track which was supposedly mopped-up changed that groove by whatever they used to FIX it.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 April 18th 2016, 10:41 pm

Ive had um mop a small mess and spot spray vht... I burn through that shit and drag it way out .... Seems to work good
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave De April 18th 2016, 10:54 pm

richter69 wrote:Ive had um mop a small mess and spot spray vht... I burn through that shit and drag it way out .... Seems to work good

It seems like that's what was done. So when that happens to you, you burn it in across the line? I've never done that but will next time. Any special routine to burn it out across the line?
Dave De
Dave De

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick April 19th 2016, 1:56 am

Some tracks use lacquer thinner on the mop. It cuts the fluids on the track for cleanup, then dries quickly.

I expected wheelspin after a similar cleanup in my lane years ago. They mopped both grooves, tho. The Ranger dead-hooked and nearly tore my head off. Shocked
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE April 19th 2016, 3:28 am

If you can't get the track crews attention to mop both sides of the groove to try and make them as even as possible (and if your track allows burnouts across the line) then a rolling burnout across the line is pretty much the only thing you can do short of getting out of the car & moping the groove yourself.

Another time to think about doing a rolling burnout across the line is if it's the next round & you're the first pair of cars down the track after they have freshly sprayed both lanes.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt April 19th 2016, 9:06 am

I'm guessing it was what they missed in the right lane and not what they did to the left. I raced super gas and super street for years and never burned out across the starting line as per rules. If you have a line lock, there is no need for it anyway. I never cross the starting line in my dragster, but I do a very short, tire cleaning burnout only.
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 April 19th 2016, 9:46 am

I was gonna add what was just mentioned, if they spray the track right before my run i mash the gas and drift that bitch through there....
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave De April 19th 2016, 6:04 pm

maverick wrote:Some tracks use lacquer thinner on the mop.  It cuts the fluids on the track for cleanup, then dries quickly.

I expected wheelspin after a similar cleanup in my lane years ago. They mopped both grooves, tho. The Ranger dead-hooked and nearly tore my head off. Shocked

I think this is what happened but in the right groove. He must not have seen anything wrong with the right groove so he didnt touch it.

DILLIGASDAVE wrote:If you can't get the track crews attention to mop both sides of the groove to try and make them as even as possible (and if your track allows burnouts across the line) then a rolling burnout across the line is pretty much the only thing you can do short of getting out of the car & moping the groove yourself.

Another time to think about doing a rolling burnout across the line is if it's the next round & you're the first pair of cars down the track after they have freshly sprayed both lanes.    

Most tracks up here take a dim view of your burnout across the line unless you got a ProMod.

For sake of safety I'm going to follow Jon's rules and lay it down.
Dave De
Dave De

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 April 19th 2016, 7:02 pm

https://youtu.be/-khPXaMOQwc
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave De April 19th 2016, 7:48 pm

I've never seen that much water in the box.
I see your technique is too roll out of the box about 6 feet and let go of the line lock as soon as you hit high gear.
Dave De
Dave De

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down