BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advice 1963.5 Falcon

+4
jasonf
airford1
DILLIGASDAVE
JTaylor76
8 posters

Go down

Advice 1963.5 Falcon Empty Advice 1963.5 Falcon

Post  JTaylor76 July 3rd 2016, 1:32 am

Hello everyone,
I have a 1963 1/2 Ford Falcon 2Dr HT that we're building. Getting reading to put a new front clip on it, and will be replacing the torque boxes and smoothing the firewall at the same time. Have a couple different engine options to choose from, and will need to be ordering a new front end for it pretty soon. One engine option I have is a stoked 351W build. The other option is an already built 460 and would end up being less than the 351 build. I'd really like to go with the 460, but since this will be more my wife's car than mine, was worried about it being too much for her. Should have added we're wanting to build it as a street and strip car. Don't need to stick her in her first drag car doing wheel stands... what do you all think? So, ultimately I need to decide which front end to get and with what options. I've looked at the two front ends offered by Rod and Custom that I have seen mentioned a couple times on here. I tried to look at Fatman's but his site confused me as to what I needed to order. I have also shopped Heidts. Would love to hear what you all have to say... any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Josh.

JTaylor76

Back to top Go down

Advice 1963.5 Falcon Empty Re: Advice 1963.5 Falcon

Post  JTaylor76 July 26th 2016, 12:12 am

Thanks Guys....so very helpful.....

JTaylor76

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE July 26th 2016, 4:11 am

Meh, never wanted to mess with that over priced (IMO) Rod and Custom or Fatman stuff so I can't offer an objective opinion. Besides that "crusing/street rod" type front suspension might not really be the best front suspension for a drag car, just sayin'.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  airford1 July 26th 2016, 4:46 pm

Put a 5.0 in it with A/C and just upgrade the front coil springs with Coil overs, power disc from a Granada and let your wife enjoy it. Find room in the Garage and build a Drag Car. You will be happier.
airford1
airford1

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf July 26th 2016, 11:06 pm

My friend has a 64 with a generic MII in it and he really likes it. More strip than street with a supercharged 347. Heidts seems to really get them low if that is any interest. Once you do the MII you can do whatever engine you want. A 460 if you already have it but starting fresh I would favor a small block.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper July 27th 2016, 12:15 am

JTaylor76 wrote:Thanks Guys....so very helpful.....

I actually never saw the post. Sorry man.

A local mechanic actually just used a kit from Progressive Automotive and it was really good quality.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  JTaylor76 July 27th 2016, 3:03 am

Thanks for jumping in guys.. I appreciate the advice.

I did compare the Heidts MII for with the Rod and Custom kit, and to me it looks like the R&C is the better buy...but admittedly I don't have as much experience as all of you. The car came with a 289 and a C4. We considered rebuilding it, but wanted more than just something average...So that's why we were looking into the 351W and then when the 460 came available for a cheaper price, that really peaked our interest. As mentioned, this is to be a street and strip car. Something for my wife and I to cruise around, maybe take to a few car shows and be something people are excited to look at....but then we can take it to Gateway and do some racing. I will be attending Frank Hawley's Super Gas class in September, and hoping that will prepare me for my own first foray into racing. Other than having fun, I'm also wanting to learn as much about drag racing as I can, because my son Matthew (6yo) is now in his second year of Jr. Drag Racing and shows tremendous promise. He's already won a major event this year, has a perfect light, and stays in the .1xx's and .0xx's. I know I'm asking for a lot in one car, but that's where we are. I'd like to be able to build another car specifically for drag racing, but it's just not in the budget.

So, over the past few days I've gotten the second torque box cut out, and the cowl pulled off, and the floor pans cut out where they needed to be. Today we sandblasted it, and in the next few days we'll be finishing up the front end rust repair, smoothing the firewall, and mounting the front clip and torque boxes. I'd sure like to hear some more opinions on engine and front suspension options. Since I am leaning toward the 460 right now...what are the pros and cons? If you know a good deal on a front end kit, let me know... as mentioned, at this time I'm leaning toward the Rod and Custom kit with the adjustable ride height and power rack.

Again, appreciate you guys taking the time to respond, and look forward to speaking with you all more about this build. Thanks in advance!

Josh.

JTaylor76

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE July 27th 2016, 5:35 am

airford1 wrote:Put a 5.0 in it with A/C and just upgrade the front coil springs with Coil overs, power disc from a Granada and let your wife enjoy it. Find room in the Garage and build a Drag Car. You will be happier.

Pretty much agree with this. The whole "street AND strip" 1/2 & 1/2 compromise deal in the end often leaves people wishing they had done things differently. But having said that it should be mentioned that a "street/strip" combo is not the same as a "Pro Street" deal. With a Pro Street combo you pretty much know it's going to be a rough riding combo often not having even half-way decent street manners.

IMO make her car a low buck "learning deal". Keep the stock front suspension & rebuild it, trim the tops of the shock towers back a little, use a mild pump gas small block (302 or 351W) with a C-4, and either simple slapper bars or CalTracs. Then when that's done build some form of a dedicated drag car with struts & a healthy 460.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf July 27th 2016, 10:28 pm

My buddy with the 64 had set a 460 in his car when he installed the MII and he said there was lots of room. I would definitely do the MII regardless just for space and convenience. Once the space is there you can change to any other motor down the road when priorities change. If you smooth the firewall out you can gain an extra 1" of room. A C6 maybe a problem with the small tunnel but nothing that can't be overcome and it sounds like you already have the tools and ability.

Advice 1963.5 Falcon IMG00028-1
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  res0rli9 July 30th 2016, 10:37 pm

Here's some.
http://martzchassis.net/mustang/1965-68-1969-72-mustang-suspension-systems/
http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  airford1 July 31st 2016, 12:33 am

jasonf wrote:My buddy with the 64 had set a 460 in his car when he installed the MII and he said there was lots of room. I would definitely do the MII regardless just for space and convenience. Once the space is there you can change to any other motor down the road when priorities change. If you smooth the firewall out you can gain an extra 1" of room. A C6 maybe a problem with the small tunnel but nothing that can't be overcome and it sounds like you already have the tools and ability.

Advice 1963.5 Falcon IMG00028-1
That is a picture of a 5.0
airford1
airford1

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle July 31st 2016, 11:11 am

I'd send a pm to 61oon on here. Daniel Jones is his name. He's got a Falcon that he's done some major work to. May be good to bounce your ideas off him.

What's your fab skills like?

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf August 8th 2016, 12:06 am

[quote="airford1"]
jasonf wrote:My buddy with the 64 had set a 460 in his car when he installed the MII and he said there was lots of room. I would definitely do the MII regardless just for space and convenience. Once the space is there you can change to any other motor down the road when priorities change. If you smooth the firewall out you can gain an extra 1" of room. A C6 maybe a problem with the small tunnel but nothing that can't be overcome and it sounds like you already have the tools and ability.

That is a picture of a 5.0

Yes but the smoothed and pushed back firewall doesn't care what engine is in front of it.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  BBFTorino August 17th 2016, 12:07 am

For a street & strip car, I would go with the 351 stroker. As much as we all love the 429/460, it is a heavy motor and will make the light weight Falcon very nose heavy.
A lighter, high powered small block will be nimble and fast!!
It also wont take up all the room under the hood.
I have the R&C kit in my Torino with a 460, and it is a very well built kit!! It is sturdy and simple. You may just have to play with different spring rates to get the desired ride quality you seek.

BBFTorino

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down