BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ok truck guys i need advice come on in heros need motor advice also

+2
bb429power
frank13
6 posters

Go down

ok truck guys i need advice    come on in heros    need motor advice also  Empty ok truck guys i need advice come on in heros need motor advice also

Post  frank13 November 14th 2010, 7:58 pm

found this thing locally,

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/ctd/2040058172.html

what do i look for, any clue about the issue the owner talks about,,,,is this a good diesel to get?

Last edited by frank13 on November 14th 2010, 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
frank13
frank13

http://www.frankskinkracing.com

Back to top Go down

ok truck guys i need advice    come on in heros    need motor advice also  Empty Re: ok truck guys i need advice come on in heros need motor advice also

Post  bb429power November 14th 2010, 8:04 pm

Rust rust rust rust rust, look everywhere for it. Under the carpet around the floor pans, ca mounts, tailgate, wheel wells, quarters, door jams. Look out for it, it is tricky to find a lot of times. Don't worry about being picky, if your buying it, you have every right to make sure what you're getting is a good deal.

The price seems low, maybe there is something else wrong? A lot f times the picture glorifies it, but you never know until you look at it. Go check it out, it could be one of those rare, really great deals you come across.
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

ok truck guys i need advice    come on in heros    need motor advice also  Empty Re: ok truck guys i need advice come on in heros need motor advice also

Post  jasonf November 14th 2010, 9:10 pm

What are you looking for Frank? My dad had one of those brand new and it was so gutless it could barely get out of it's own way. If you just need cheap transportation I guess it is worth the gamble that the fuel line is the "only" problem but for $580 bucks you can't expect a lot either. It really depends what your needs are but I would buy a gas job myself.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  frank13 November 14th 2010, 9:12 pm

im not really looking at all, but if its a good deal i will jump on something...may just pick it up fix it and flip it to make some cash....i would love a good truck to be a tow rig...,maybe get it and pop a stock 460 in her....
frank13
frank13

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty November 14th 2010, 10:44 pm

I personally wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole again. I had one for here on the farm several years back, and gutless is a huge understatement, especially with the auto. The tires look completely bald, so there is about $600 missing, and as far as dropping a BBF in there, you will need a different trans and whole lot of work to get the fuel system switched. Just my .02. Cool
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power November 14th 2010, 10:51 pm

So in other words, stay away from the 6.9?
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 November 14th 2010, 10:52 pm

worked on a few, had to get out my history book to do it though......... Laughing

If you got it for cheap might be ok for a beater, not sure there is much money to be had in flippin' it............
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  frank13 November 14th 2010, 11:09 pm

ok so that one is off the list!
frank13
frank13

Back to top Go down

Post  Diggindeeper November 14th 2010, 11:26 pm

although now a days you can rebuild a whole IDI for about 50 bucks Laughing
That particular one would take some work and money to make something out of it. More than its worth, unless you really like those trucks and don't mind spending some cash on them. They are not powerful, and without a turbo they lack as schmitty said. But with a turbo they'll surprise you. THey're easy to work on, and easy to fix. The Return lines and glow plug controller in the early ones are the biggest problems.
the one i had rust was not a problem, even up north here as the thing always liked to leak something and it had a nice coat of oil underneath it.

My opinion is different then some, as i Loved my old IDI. mine was a 7.3 cw/ turbo, and an E4OD

Diggindeeper
Diggindeeper

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down