BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Life Span of Valves

+4
DaveMcLain
IDT-572
dfree383
JACKAZZFLATZ
8 posters

Go down

Life Span of Valves  Empty Life Span of Valves

Post  JACKAZZFLATZ September 12th 2016, 3:27 pm

SO, coupla weeks ago, had some problems at the track.  Gave away another race due to breakage.
According to the tell tale on the tach, it never saw 6300 rpm.  Life Span of Valves  Img_1610
I've been running these A-heads for about 8 yrs, is there an "end of life" expectancy for valves ?  OR just this one  ?
JACKAZZFLATZ
JACKAZZFLATZ

Back to top Go down

Life Span of Valves  Empty Re: Life Span of Valves

Post  dfree383 September 12th 2016, 4:36 pm

No they don't last forever......
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 September 12th 2016, 4:39 pm

Sounds like about 8 years................ Rolling Eyes Sorry couldn't help myself, it's I've been around the Coug to long. Twisted Evil Razz
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveMcLain September 12th 2016, 7:27 pm

An intake valve broke so I would be really looking at the valvetrain especially the springs.  What do the keepers on the other valves look like?  Are they all polished up from "fretting"? Sometimes too a valve can be very slightly bent then each time it closes the spring forces it against the seat and it flexes it back and forth. Over time the fatigue breaks the stem.

DaveMcLain

Back to top Go down

Post  jones September 12th 2016, 8:11 pm

This is one thing I would like to understand. The possible causes of valve failure other than piston to valve contact. Could a weak or broken valve spring caused it?

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 September 12th 2016, 8:38 pm

jones wrote:This is one thing I would like to understand. The possible causes of valve failure other than piston to valve contact. Could a weak or broken valve spring caused it?
absolutely ! A weak spring allows the valve to bounce on the seat which is far worse than high spring psi. Not saying this is the case here .........
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy September 12th 2016, 10:00 pm

jones wrote:This is one thing I would like to understand. The possible causes of valve failure other than piston to valve contact. Could a weak or broken valve spring caused it?

I am guessing you must think there is no such thing as metal fatigue...?

The more stress it is required to absorb, especially in tensile cycles ... the shorter the lifespan will be.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jones September 13th 2016, 12:35 am

rmcomprandy wrote:

I am guessing you must think there is no such thing as metal fatigue...?

The more stress it is required to absorb, especially in tensile cycles ... the shorter the lifespan will be.

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  gt350hr September 13th 2016, 10:45 am

Far too many guys rely on "buzz words" . There is quality stainless material and then there is stainless material. Some guys only hear "stainless" and feel good about it. Just like the word forged. Some builders cycle them out by hours , others by laps or miles , and others by "seasons". Most stainless valves are made in Brazil or China , but some are still made here. Manley and Ferrea offer some excellent valves.

gt350hr

Back to top Go down

Post  JACKAZZFLATZ September 13th 2016, 4:13 pm

Thankx for the comments and suggestions. The valves were the ones originally supplied with the heads. Ya, they've been thru a valve job, or two.
I really shouldn't bitch, and i'm not, it's just racing.
The springs were new at the beginning of the season, i'd havta check the log book to see how many runs actually.
When the covers were pulled, all the stems were in place, no broken springs. Just .250+" of lash on #7 Intake.
Like Blake says, this one was only good for 8 years. Must be kinda like rear gears, mine are only good for 2 years. Another hard lesson !
JACKAZZFLATZ
JACKAZZFLATZ

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down