BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Friday night cruise spot.

+14
windsor
fastford600
schmitty
Northwest outlaw
69F100
jasonf
kjett
cletus66
Old blue Racin Team
OldRedFord
billandlori
maverick
bird of prey
richter69
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Friday night cruise spot. Empty Friday night cruise spot.

Post  richter69 December 10th 2009, 11:52 pm

Well here is another one of those sappy "tell us about yourself as a kid" threads.....sort of.

Before I could drive I had an older stepbrother who had a 67 Chevelle, 283 and a 4 speed, pretty damn fast back then, won many a street race. Back then air depot was "the spot" back then, would take an hour to get down the thing. lots of fast cars, lots of action.

The deal got shut down and 12th street in Moore was the "place to be" now. I aquired one 69 mustang coupe and yanked the worn out 302 for a 289 with an Erson Viking cam, hooker headers, ported '66 289 heads, torker intake, 650 double pumper, stock c4 with a B&M shift kit, 5.14 gears, and a worn out set of 28 x 10.5 slicks. Ran 14 flat.

Burnt me a lotta gas up and down that street, and sorry Coug, did a lot of street racin as well. Good thing my dad was an OKC cop, got me out of a whole lot of trouble.............

I never went to the prom, in fact that night I wore out a 67 Camero........3 outta 3.

So whats your story? we all got one considering the type of site we're on.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Friday night cruise spot. Empty Re: Friday night cruise spot.

Post  bird of prey December 11th 2009, 12:07 am

i was up and down air depot a lot with my 73 mach 1 with a 30 over 429 that i built myself. with cragar n 50 15s. joh did you ever go out to what was called the n nationals? just outside of jones.
bird of prey
bird of prey

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick December 11th 2009, 12:43 am

1970. I won a '64 Chevelle ragtop in a title for title race that was set up by my friends shooting off their mouths. My hometown was split by a river....that set up a lot of East vs. West side rivalry. My friends knew of a guy on the West side with a 327 Chevelle. They bragged to him about my '62 Fairlane. He laughed at my 289 inches...it had ported '65 heads with 2.02 Chevy valves, "MuscleParts" (remember them?) solid cam, tubes, T-10, etc. Smack talk escalated to the point where we were racing for titles (I never did that before or since.). I had never met this guy before, but by the time we met, we hated each other's guts.

When the race went off on a Friday night, we were both on slicks. We had quarter mile stripes painted on the road outside of town. When I reached the second set of stripes, the Chevelle was well behind me. As I cleared the next intersection, there was a Michigan State Trooper sitting at the stop sign. With a helluva head start, I ran like a rabbit, going cross-furrow through the potato fields to get away. They caught the Chevelle, took its owner to jail and put his car (my car) in the impound lot. Mad Somehow, I never found the nerve to tell the cops I had won that car. When the guy got out of jail, he kept his car, I kept my freedom. I was cured......Never felt the need to do that again. Rolling Eyes

P.S. Isn't that the way "Pinks" is supposed to play out?.....except for the cops, I mean. Wink
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori December 11th 2009, 1:01 am

We all used to cruise through the old A&W when it was still a drive in. Everybody would give it a bit of a rip when they left and the cops would actually stay away for the most part. Not many got too stupid with the rip-snortin so it was cool. Then they shut down the drive in and the cruise night has bounced all over town and now there is only three or four cruise nights Crying or Very sad

I had my 72 Mach 1 then and it got alot of looks from the Chevy guys but there wasn't much street action then.

Years ago this town used to be known as a real car town. There was a guy with a 55 Chev with a motor supposedly built by Smokey Unick (sp), nobody ever got a look under the hood!! He won a TON of money with that car.

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  OldRedFord December 11th 2009, 2:10 am

Cruise night? We have none. Friday night cruise spot. Icon_cry
OldRedFord
OldRedFord

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 December 11th 2009, 9:17 am

bird of prey wrote:i was up and down air depot a lot with my 73 mach 1 with a 30 over 429 that i built myself. with cragar n 50 15s. joh did you ever go out to what was called the n nationals? just outside of jones.
Never went, but knew about it lol. GM is where we used to race a whole lot.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Old blue Racin Team December 11th 2009, 9:59 am

Okay i get the feelin im the young gun on this site, of a bunch of old men lol

but we didnt have a cruise night, but i rode in trucks, my first one was a 88 ranger with a 2.9 v6, and me bein into muddin and all, and that truck wasent much for speed, but u coulndt stop it in the mud, so we had organized mud/trtail rides, then i sold the ranger and picked up a 88 F-150 with the 351w c6 4x4, and ive had it every since, but it was heavy and wouldnt go like the ranger would
Old blue Racin Team
Old blue Racin Team

Back to top Go down

Post  cletus66 December 11th 2009, 10:29 am

Back in the mid 80's I was stationed at the Defense Language Institute in Monterey, CA. On the weekends we would go over to Salinas, and the streets would be jammed from one end to the other with bad @$$ cars. I had several cars over the 1 1/2 years I was there, but the most pitiful was a sky blue Mustang II with a tapping 4 cylinder. If I revved it up too much, a rocker would pop off and I would have to yank the valve cover and use my tire iron to pry the thing back under the cam. Embarassed I finally got rid of that and bought a 1 owner '67 Fairlane 500 with a 289/auto and AC. I think it was 700 bucks. With a set of chrome wheels and some dual exhausts, I wasn't fast, but that car was SHARP !!

At the time, I always wondered why the nicest cars were driven by old guys. Now I'm older, and I understand. Back then, I was bringing home 236 bucks on the 15th and 30th. Laughing Laughing Tough to build a fast car with that. Mad Mad
cletus66
cletus66

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 December 11th 2009, 10:45 am

I hate to admit, but before the Mustang i had a 64 Chevy short wide with a 283, power pack heads, 3/4 cam (lol) muncie 4 speed...............she run pretty good for what it was. Sold the truck to build the 289..................
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick December 11th 2009, 11:24 am

Laughing Laughing Jon said, "3/4 cam". Laughing Laughing Haven't heard that term in a while Laughing .
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  kjett December 11th 2009, 11:32 am

As much as I hate to admit it, back in 88, when I was 16, I had an 83 Trans Am that kept having problems with the junky 305. My best friend's Dad worked for a GM diesel shop and hooked me up with a sweet deal on a 454 crate motor that had been ordered and mostly paid for by a shop employee that was fired and never came back for the motor. So, cheap crate motor in hand and a bunch of driveline changes later, we shoe horned that big block into the TA! After a few weeks of cruising around in the car, it seemed every time i got to a stop light the guy next to me wanted to do a little street light drag racing. I got my 1st ticket when I was at a light and a Buick Grand National pulled up next to me with all the windows tinted. They rapped the throtle a little letting me know they wanted some of my TA, so when the light turned green I launched that thing as hard as I could actually pulling out in front of the Buick. About a 1/2 mile later, the buick pulled in behind me, turning on the blue lights! Yep, I was the dummy that drag raced a cop in an undercover car and never realizd it until it was too late. My parents had to go to court for the reckless driving charge and tried to help me out by saying that I was baited. Needles to say, I got a huge fine, point on my brand new license and the keys taken away (by my parents) for a few months... Evil or Very Mad
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf December 11th 2009, 12:53 pm

We used to go down to the A&W on 118th ave in Edmonton. It would pack up friday and saturday night so you had to get their early or park a few block away. Everyone would do a little burnout when they left and the cops pretty much stayed away. I remember one time there was a few races set up so everyone left and went down to Hwy 16 and shut the place down. There was cars lined up on both sides of the roads heading east and half the road westbound for a full 1/4 mile. Cars just pulled up in pairs and kept going for probably 15 minutes till the cops showed up. Everyone just got in their car a left. For those that aren't familiar hwy 16 would be comparable to shutting down I10 for some races. Eventually we got some head pig that hated cars and they had a big crackdown pretty much killing all street activity. The funny thing is A&W hated it because they would be packed and not everyone would buy their product. They would come out and chase cars away occasionally. The last couple years they have been trying to promote the whole "cruise to A and dub" thing to get some customers.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 December 11th 2009, 3:00 pm

We had cruise nights friday and saturday nights we could bark a tire the cops wouldn't say anything unles you were just spinning everytime you took off from the redlights .We would sit on the street corns or the little parking lot along Grant Street .Grant Street was the main street running through town with all the fast food joint on.Now they will lock you up for riding around town like that and wonder why the teens get into so much trouble they have to go out of town to have fun now or go out to the country and have big parties with drinking and dop. Jimmy (aka BBFmustang) you still remember those days on Grant Street back in the day.We had a couple places to do some road racing but I got cought 1 night raced a guy in a comaro from texas out ran him 2 times back to back.Like a crazy man I let him talk me in to racing him again should have stayed in town but went back out ran him again out run him and the law but he turned me in.They got me after I got back to town and that ended my racing on the streets.I had a 73 Mercury Montego MX it had that rare 400 clev in it. It was yellow with a brown vinyle top we all called it the yellow banana.Bring back some good old days thinking about the yellow banana Jimmy you remember it it had a case of cancer over the rear wheel. It was a old Ky car my dad bought when he live in Ky after him and moma got devorced.Lem might have done some work on it why it ran so good who knows.

JIM
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Northwest outlaw December 11th 2009, 3:54 pm

We didnt have one set spot but a few on Fri it was the track LACR in Palmdale CA and Sat night is was Kevin's Burger on De Sota or out in the high desrt and then off to many streets back then we ran all small block camaros and mustangs so good old time.
Northwest outlaw
Northwest outlaw

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty December 11th 2009, 3:54 pm

Pretty darn boring little town here, same old cruise lane as has always been. We used to sit in the parking lot of a grocery store and tell lies and try to impress the young ladies. I had a 66 Bronco with a 289 3 on the tree and used to get in some trouble, traded up to a 78 F150 with a 351M 4 sp. used up that motor and 4 more. Ended up with a 390 in it at the end. Running SOB with that ole 390 in it, could pull rubber in 3 gears no problem. Chased the heck out of coyotes and such. Had a 351C in it for a while too, and had a turkey challenge me with his IROC, we did some corners around town and he never could pull away from my old Ford. When we got done playing cat and mouse, he said he couldn't believe some old POS F150 could run like that. Got kicked out of town by the local PD one time, they said that if they saw me in town in the next 30 days for anything but gas and groceries they were gonna pull out the book and keep writing till they ran out of paper. Dad and mom weren't impressed. My wife started dating me when I first had that ole truck and she does have some good memories of chasing coyotes and mud runnin in it. Cool Had a 74 Poncho Gran Prix with a 455 4bbl that was a hoot to drive too, topped out at around 150mph. Was late for a deal at school one time and was running down a 2 lane black top, topped out, saw the cop lights over a hill and backed off the loud pedal, lucky he was already writing a ticket to another guy. He saw me a couple days later and asked me how fast I was going when I went past him. Told him the truth and said I wasn't sure, but the speedo went to 85 and it was still pegged when I coasted past him. He laughed it off and said "Be safe and don't ever let me see that car anywhere over 55, or your gonna get a ticket. Good times to be a kid for sure, I'd have been in jail if I did that stuff nowadays. Cool
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 December 11th 2009, 10:55 pm

The late 80's................... SRV was clean and sober and at the top of his game, gas was cheap............I burnt up about 20,000 packs of Marlboro reds along with 3 or 4 KIX cassette tapes.............. Laughing
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  fastford600 December 11th 2009, 10:58 pm

richter69 wrote:The late 80's................... SRV was clean and sober and at the top of his game, gas was cheap............I burnt up about 20,000 packs of Marlboro reds along with 3 or 4 KIX cassette tapes.............. Laughing

20,000 packs now iknow why you the faibo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! do u love all them miles u got? plus 5000 bic lighters.lmao
fastford600
fastford600

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 December 11th 2009, 11:05 pm

dude I got a big ass Marlboro tent in the attic from all the miles............. Laughing

I quit cold turkey 12 years ago and to this day do not crave a smoke, in fact I run people off in our area in the shop when they come back there to light up, cant stand the smell...........my allergies are terrible anyway.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  windsor December 12th 2009, 4:12 am

Early 90's in St. Pete and Tampa, my buddies and I would hit every weekend at one of the few car 'show' spots, and then head to the street races on Gandy blvd/bridge. Sometimes would be a few hundred cars out there. My buddy had a 65 stang with a 351 that ran pretty well...me, an 85 that liked to smoke too much out the tail pipe. We concentrated on his car more and had some infamous races I don't really condone street racing anymore....but man those were good times!
windsor
windsor

Back to top Go down

Post  cletus66 December 12th 2009, 9:27 am

richter69 wrote:dude I got a big ass Marlboro tent in the attic from all the miles............. Laughing

I quit cold turkey 12 years ago and to this day do not crave a smoke, in fact I run people off in our area in the shop when they come back there to light up, cant stand the smell...........my allergies are terrible anyway.

I haven't smoked in 5 or 6 years. I have a 500 dollar bet with Ellen. I want one right now !!! Shocked
cletus66
cletus66

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori December 12th 2009, 10:35 am

cletus66 wrote:
richter69 wrote:dude I got a big ass Marlboro tent in the attic from all the miles............. Laughing

I haven't smoked in 5 or 6 years. I have a 500 dollar bet with Ellen. I want one right now !!! Shocked

Same here!!! I quit about 8-9 years ago. Smoked 1/2 to a full pack a day of the "Green Death" Export "A" for years.

I quit cold turkey and would love to have one (then another and another...).

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 December 12th 2009, 10:43 am

2 pack a day average, add another if we went to the bar. Got on a Lucky Strike non filter kick for 6 months, chest hurt too bad and had to stop that.......... Very Happy

I remember as a kid we used to play with the King Edward cigar boxes at my grandparents house, they were plenty. Now my grandpa is healthy as a horse, except for his failing lungs and the oxygen tank he is strapped too, I doubt he makes it much longer..........

Sorry for jacking my own thread,............. Very Happy
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori December 12th 2009, 11:33 am

An older buddy of mine said they used to race around a corner here in town. Its a four lane street that goes into two lanes around the corner. The winner made the turn, the looser ended up on the court house lawn Shocked He took the corner so hard one night his buddy was sitting on the floor crying, and his Porta Walls got tore off.

They were racing on a back country road and his shifter linkage jammed. He was under the car unjamming it when a cop rolled up asking him if he was street racing. "Oh no Sir!!" The cop noticed the slicks and wanted him to come to the station to get a better look at them. "I'll be right there!!" Runs home to the shop zips the slicks off and throws on the street tires. Presto!!

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  BBFmustang December 12th 2009, 12:05 pm

[quote="69F100"]We had cruise nights friday and saturday nights we could bark a tire the cops wouldn't say anything unles you were just spinning everytime you took off from the redlights .We would sit on the street corns or the little parking lot along Grant Street .Grant Street was the main street running through town with all the fast food joint on.Now they will lock you up for riding around town like that and wonder why the teens get into so much trouble they have to go out of town to have fun now or go out to the country and have big parties with drinking and dop. Jimmy (aka BBFmustang) you still remember those days on Grant Street back in the day.We had a couple places to do some road racing but I got cought 1 night raced a guy in a comaro from texas out ran him 2 times back to back.Like a crazy man I let him talk me in to racing him again should have stayed in town but went back out ran him again out run him and the law but he turned me in.They got me after I got back to town and that ended my racing on the streets.I had a 73 Mercury Montego MX it had that rare 400 clev in it. It was yellow with a brown vinyle top we all called it the yellow banana.Bring back some good old days thinking about the yellow banana Jimmy you remember it it had a case of cancer over the rear wheel. It was a old Ky car my dad bought when he live in Ky after him and moma got devorced.Lem might have done some work on it why it ran so good who knows.

jim i was thinking about grant while reading this theard sure does bring back memories.It is a shame they dont allow it anymore we didn't hurt anything had some fun
BBFmustang
BBFmustang
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 December 12th 2009, 9:40 pm

so true jimmy
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next