BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What to do with left over/extra parts?

+2
IcallhimGeorge
torkair
6 posters

Go down

What to do with left over/extra parts? Empty What to do with left over/extra parts?

Post  torkair December 18th 2009, 4:03 pm

I've pretty much dedicated myself to picking up an 85 F250 4x4 for the engine next month but I'm gonna end up with a ton of extra parts. My little brother has an 84 Bronco 4x4 thats in need of an engine as he managed to slag the 302 that was in it when the oil pump finally gave out and I was thinking of donating some of the leftovers from the F250 to help his cause of off-road maddness. As it stands the Bronco has a dead 302 and a 4x4 C6 in it, the F250 on the other hand has a stick shift bolted to the 460 in it which I dont plan on using and think my brother would like to eventually convert his bronco over to a BBF with a stick shift. Later down the road I want to pick up this 72 Tbird with a 429, I want other parts off the Bird but figured that with the motor mounts from the F250 that he could swap the 429 into his truck after giving it a good clean-up job. Mostly I dont want to waste what would otherwise be hard to find parts by sending them off to the scrap yard so any ideas you guys might have would be greatly appreciated!
torkair
torkair

Back to top Go down

What to do with left over/extra parts? Empty Re: What to do with left over/extra parts?

Post  IcallhimGeorge December 18th 2009, 5:39 pm

the front TTB axle in either truck is not very desireable for offroad. The rear axle is most probably a Sterling 10.25 (might be a D70 but unlikely - same answer applies though) and is a very strong axle. 35spline 1.5" shafts and huge ring and pinion. The transfer case is most likely a NP208. Nothing really wrong with it for a mild build. The mounts and stuff from the F250 will swap directly over to the Bronco for the simpliest swap.

You never know what little trinkets you may need off the 250 for the bronco....like something as simple as a headlight switch. However, you cant always keep everything waiting on something to break. Ask me how I know.

What you keep would really depend on what your brother considers "off-road madness". Trading the 250 in to the junk yard, after youve pulled the drive train of course, for a solid axle would be a good start....
IcallhimGeorge
IcallhimGeorge
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

What to do with left over/extra parts? Empty Re: What to do with left over/extra parts?

Post  cdbearde December 18th 2009, 10:17 pm

The transfer should be a Borg Warner 1345, I would also not be surprised if the rear is a D60 (1985, f-250)
cdbearde
cdbearde

Back to top Go down

Post  OldRedFord December 19th 2009, 6:14 am

FWIW the 1984 F250 I had, had a Dana 70 rear. Full floater.
OldRedFord
OldRedFord

Back to top Go down

Post  TorinoGT December 20th 2009, 8:54 pm

early to mid 80s Ford used SEMI floating sterlings, AND 8.8s in the rear of F250s... I dont know the year break downs or what options got you what axle... but any axle thats semi floating will be worth very little (if anything) a full floating Dana 60, Dana 70 or Sterling 10.25 could fetch you a hundred or two...

as stated above, the TTB front axle is valueless.... alot of folks so solid axle swaps to Dana 44s or Dana 60s...

Shane
TorinoGT
TorinoGT

Back to top Go down

Post  torkair December 22nd 2009, 1:22 pm

I spoke to my brother about his bronco the other day and found out that he had pulled a few parts off it to fix our moms 88 F250 so I guess he may have given up on it for the time being. I'll still be picking up this other truck and see what kind of fixes it might need to make it into a good "stuff" hauler. It's already got at least a class 3 tow package and being a long bed/extended cab should keep anything I tow with it fairly straight. Any ideas as to what I can do to it to get a bit more towing grunt out of it would be nice too, nothing major just maby an intake and carb swap or something as I'm more used to building for bawlz to the walls. Wish me luck with this beast! Neutral
torkair
torkair

Back to top Go down

Post  Greg_P December 22nd 2009, 1:56 pm

Not sure if this helps, but the '89 F250 I picked up recently has a Sterling 10.25 full floater in it.

Greg
Greg_P
Greg_P

Back to top Go down

Post  torkair December 22nd 2009, 6:43 pm

Greg_P wrote:Not sure if this helps, but the '89 F250 I picked up recently has a Sterling 10.25 full floater in it.

Greg

What was the rest of the drive train?
torkair
torkair

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down