Crankshaft

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Crankshaft

Post  EverySparePenny on August 5th 2018, 10:30 am

Looking for suggestions on companies that offer short stroke crankshafts for these engines. Like 3.6"-3.7x"

EverySparePenny

Posts : 80
Join date : 2017-12-19
Location : Iowa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Crankshaft

Post  rmcomprandy on August 5th 2018, 10:35 am

EverySparePenny wrote:Looking for suggestions on companies that offer short stroke crankshafts for these engines. Like 3.6"-3.7x"

Any company who offers a billet.

rmcomprandy

Posts : 5149
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

View user profile http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Crankshaft

Post  Paul Kane on August 5th 2018, 1:22 pm

...or offset stroking a Commercial 429 truck forging for maybe half the cost of a billet (truck crank + machining).  Depends on your needs etc.
avatar
Paul Kane

Posts : 831
Join date : 2009-09-15
Location : San Francisco Bay Area

View user profile http://www.highflowdynamics.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Crankshaft

Post  cool40 on August 5th 2018, 1:31 pm

I have the factory steel 429 Paul is referring to and it's good piece.keep in mind the external balance on them.i had to pay pretty heavy to go internal with it. Just my experience. Cool
avatar
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 7168
Join date : 2009-08-31
Age : 47
Location : on the 1/8 mile dyno

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Crankshaft

Post  EverySparePenny on August 5th 2018, 1:33 pm

Goal would be 850 + horsepower at 8500 operating RPM

Sent from Topic'it App

EverySparePenny

Posts : 80
Join date : 2017-12-19
Location : Iowa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Crankshaft

Post  EverySparePenny on August 5th 2018, 1:35 pm

I may have stated that wrong I do not necessarily want Peak horsepower at 8500 but operating range will be north of 8500 I'm sure

Sent from Topic'it App

EverySparePenny

Posts : 80
Join date : 2017-12-19
Location : Iowa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Crankshaft

Post  Paul Kane on August 5th 2018, 1:43 pm

cool40 wrote:I have the factory steel 429 Paul is referring to and it's good piece...keep in mind the external balance on them.i had to pay pretty heavy to go internal with it...
The D9TE-6303-XX steel 429 truck forging is an internal balance crankshaft from the factory.

________________________________

EverySparePenny wrote:Goal would be 850 + horsepower at 8500 operating rpm
Depending on overall parts combo, hp, and application, it’s possible to build an 8500 rpm 850 hp engine with a 3.7ish stroked 4U cast 429 passenger car crank.  Of course the steel crank has superior virtues in such an engine....
avatar
Paul Kane

Posts : 831
Join date : 2009-09-15
Location : San Francisco Bay Area

View user profile http://www.highflowdynamics.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Crankshaft

Post  rmcomprandy on August 5th 2018, 2:06 pm

Paul Kane wrote:
cool40 wrote:I have the factory steel 429 Paul is referring to and it's good piece...keep in mind the external balance on them.i had to pay pretty heavy to go internal with it...
The D9TE-6303-XX steel 429 truck forging is an internal balance crankshaft from the factory.

________________________________

EverySparePenny wrote:Goal would be 850 + horsepower at 8500 operating rpm
Depending on overall parts combo, hp, and application, it’s possible to build an 8500 rpm 850 hp engine with a 3.7ish stroked 4U cast 429 passenger car crank.  Of course the steel crank has superior virtues in such an engine....

Certainly is, (the steel truck crank needs the flange shortened and the snout made smaller also. A lot of those type applications use big block Chevy snouts) ... if you have a core crankshaft, I know that Adney Brown at Performance Crankshaft does that kind of thing with the steel truck crankshaft all the time. 586 549-7557.

rmcomprandy

Posts : 5149
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

View user profile http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Crankshaft

Post  EverySparePenny on August 5th 2018, 2:55 pm

EverySparePenny wrote:Goal would be 850 + horsepower at 8500 operating rpm
Depending on overall parts combo, hp, and application, it’s possible to build an 8500 rpm 850 hp engine with a 3.7ish stroked 4U cast 429 passenger car crank.  Of course the steel crank has superior virtues in such an engine....[/quote]

It is a 4wd truck puller, we have a 473" rule and OEM iron head rule. The engine that just went south on me was a .060 over OE block that had been lifter bushed and crank journals line honed also was using the stock crank ground .010 .010.

Ran Ross pistons, eagle rods and a relatively tame tune up. This combo lasted through approximately 70 dyno pulls and 30 30+ second hooks over the last 2 seasons before kaplewy Friday night.

I do believe I have a 429 car crank in the garage but will need to look for sure.

EverySparePenny

Posts : 80
Join date : 2017-12-19
Location : Iowa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Crankshaft

Post  Mark O'Neal on August 5th 2018, 4:27 pm

Why would RPM be a goal?

RPM is the enemy.

Mark O'Neal

Posts : 185
Join date : 2009-08-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Crankshaft

Post  EverySparePenny on August 5th 2018, 4:32 pm

Wheel speed. The lower the gear the less driveline Carnage. Sport have become a 30,000 pound drag race

Sent from Topic'it App

EverySparePenny

Posts : 80
Join date : 2017-12-19
Location : Iowa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Crankshaft

Post  rmcomprandy on August 5th 2018, 7:33 pm

The combination which still works great for that scenario is the offset ground 460 crank, (3.900" stroke), with the connecting rod journal and rod for a 440 Mopar along with a 4.390" bore.

It is just under 90 feet per second piston speed at 8,300 RPM.

rmcomprandy

Posts : 5149
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

View user profile http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Crankshaft

Post  BBFTorino on August 5th 2018, 11:07 pm

These pulling trucks are kind of the opposite of a drag race vehicle, as a drag race vehicle typically see's the load decreasing as the RPMs climb.
The pullers start off at high RPMs, then get more and more load on them as the weight moves forward, and lugs them down.

BBFTorino

Posts : 648
Join date : 2015-12-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Crankshaft

Post  EverySparePenny on August 5th 2018, 11:10 pm

BBFTorino wrote:These pulling trucks are kind of the opposite of a drag race vehicle, as a drag race vehicle typically see's the load decreasing as the RPMs climb.
The pullers start off at high RPMs, then get more and more load on them as the weight moves forward, and lugs them down.

Very fair explaination

Sent from Topic'it App

EverySparePenny

Posts : 80
Join date : 2017-12-19
Location : Iowa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Crankshaft

Post  BBFTorino on August 5th 2018, 11:20 pm

There was a poster on here a while back, cannot recall his screen name right now, but he was a Midwest puller and his truck ( a 70's model Ford) was named "Shazzam", and he was using a factory 429 cast passenger car crank in it, although with lots of prep, I'm sure!!.....and screaming it at 9000+ for 30 secs. And it lived!!

BBFTorino

Posts : 648
Join date : 2015-12-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Crankshaft

Post  EverySparePenny on August 5th 2018, 11:32 pm

I could be down with that party

Sent from Topic'it App

EverySparePenny

Posts : 80
Join date : 2017-12-19
Location : Iowa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Crankshaft

Post  Mark Miller on August 6th 2018, 12:25 am

BBFTorino wrote:There was a poster on here a while back, cannot recall his screen name right now, but he was a Midwest puller and his truck ( a 70's model Ford) was named "Shazzam", and he was using a factory 429 cast passenger car crank in it, although with lots of prep, I'm sure!!.....and screaming it at 9000+ for 30 secs. And it lived!!


Sounds like Brett Powell? Smile

Mark Miller

Posts : 1361
Join date : 2009-09-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Crankshaft

Post  EverySparePenny on August 6th 2018, 12:28 am

Mr. Powell is who I was kind of thinking but I was thrown by the truck name

Sent from Topic'it App

EverySparePenny

Posts : 80
Join date : 2017-12-19
Location : Iowa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Crankshaft

Post  BBFTorino on August 6th 2018, 12:59 am

Yes!! Mr. Powell

BBFTorino

Posts : 648
Join date : 2015-12-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Crankshaft

Post  Straubtech on August 6th 2018, 5:46 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:
Paul Kane wrote:
cool40 wrote:I have the factory steel 429 Paul is referring to and it's good piece...keep in mind the external balance on them.i had to pay pretty heavy to go internal with it...
The D9TE-6303-XX steel 429 truck forging is an internal balance crankshaft from the factory.

________________________________

EverySparePenny wrote:Goal would be 850 + horsepower at 8500 operating rpm
Depending on overall parts combo, hp, and application, it’s possible to build an 8500 rpm 850 hp engine with a 3.7ish stroked 4U cast 429 passenger car crank.  Of course the steel crank has superior virtues in such an engine....

Certainly is, (the steel truck crank needs the flange shortened and the snout made smaller also. A lot of those type applications use big block Chevy snouts) ... if you have a core crankshaft, I know that Adney Brown at Performance Crankshaft does that kind of thing with the steel truck crankshaft all the time. 586 549-7557.

X2 on Adney Brown's work.

Straubtech

Posts : 293
Join date : 2015-03-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Crankshaft

Post  Lem Evans on August 6th 2018, 6:48 pm

BBFTorino wrote:There was a poster on here a while back, cannot recall his screen name right now, but he was a Midwest puller and his truck ( a 70's model Ford) was named "Shazzam", and he was using a factory 429 cast passenger car crank in it, although with lots of prep, I'm sure!!.....and screaming it at 9000+ for 30 secs. And it lived!!

Shazzam is not Bret Powell.



Lem Evans

Posts : 7153
Join date : 2008-12-03
Location : Livermore , Ky

View user profile http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Crankshaft

Post  Lem Evans on August 6th 2018, 6:50 pm

Mark Miller wrote:
BBFTorino wrote:There was a poster on here a while back, cannot recall his screen name right now, but he was a Midwest puller and his truck ( a 70's model Ford) was named "Shazzam", and he was using a factory 429 cast passenger car crank in it, although with lots of prep, I'm sure!!.....and screaming it at 9000+ for 30 secs. And it lived!!


Sounds like Brett Powell? Smile

Sorry wrong guy. Brett is not shazzam.

Lem Evans

Posts : 7153
Join date : 2008-12-03
Location : Livermore , Ky

View user profile http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Crankshaft

Post  Doug Rahn on August 6th 2018, 7:25 pm

Lem Evans wrote:
Mark Miller wrote:
BBFTorino wrote:There was a poster on here a while back, cannot recall his screen name right now, but he was a Midwest puller and his truck ( a 70's model Ford) was named "Shazzam", and he was using a factory 429 cast passenger car crank in it, although with lots of prep, I'm sure!!.....and screaming it at 9000+ for 30 secs. And it lived!!


Sounds like Brett Powell? Smile

Sorry wrong guy. Brett is not shazzam.

It was Dan something or other, but I do remember his screen name was Truckpulr.
avatar
Doug Rahn
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 1670
Join date : 2009-08-07
Age : 67
Location : Springfield, GA

View user profile http://www.cardomain.com/ride/228081

Back to top Go down

Re: Crankshaft

Post  Lem Evans on August 6th 2018, 7:26 pm

Doug Rahn wrote:
Lem Evans wrote:
Mark Miller wrote:
BBFTorino wrote:There was a poster on here a while back, cannot recall his screen name right now, but he was a Midwest puller and his truck ( a 70's model Ford) was named "Shazzam", and he was using a factory 429 cast passenger car crank in it, although with lots of prep, I'm sure!!.....and screaming it at 9000+ for 30 secs. And it lived!!


Sounds like Brett Powell? Smile

Sorry wrong guy. Brett is not shazzam.

It was Dan something or other, but I do remember his screen name was Truckpulr.

Dan Homa?

Lem Evans

Posts : 7153
Join date : 2008-12-03
Location : Livermore , Ky

View user profile http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Crankshaft

Post  Doug Rahn on August 6th 2018, 7:34 pm

Lem Evans wrote:
Doug Rahn wrote:
Lem Evans wrote:
Mark Miller wrote:
BBFTorino wrote:There was a poster on here a while back, cannot recall his screen name right now, but he was a Midwest puller and his truck ( a 70's model Ford) was named "Shazzam", and he was using a factory 429 cast passenger car crank in it, although with lots of prep, I'm sure!!.....and screaming it at 9000+ for 30 secs. And it lived!!


Sounds like Brett Powell? Smile

Sorry wrong guy. Brett is not shazzam.

It was Dan something or other, but I do remember his screen name was Truckpulr.

Dan Homa?

That's it, damn good memory Lem.
avatar
Doug Rahn
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Posts : 1670
Join date : 2009-08-07
Age : 67
Location : Springfield, GA

View user profile http://www.cardomain.com/ride/228081

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum