BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pro-system SV-1 carb and nitrous tunning

+4
PRO SYSTEMS
Induction-Solutions
bruno
jones
8 posters

Go down

Pro-system SV-1 carb and nitrous tunning Empty Pro-system SV-1 carb and nitrous tunning

Post  jones December 19th 2009, 10:50 pm

Saw my first new Pro-system single barrel carb tonight on a nitrous car!! Huge nitrous backfire!! I know there are alot of variables but it's something I like to keep my eye on before I purchase one. I think allot of people are doing the same. Which the outside temprature was around
35 degrees. Like I said alot of variables, I am just wondering in general.
PS. The reason I posted this hear, so Steve might see this and share any thing about any knowledge about nitrous sytems and these new carbs.

jones

Back to top Go down

Pro-system SV-1 carb and nitrous tunning Empty Re: Pro-system SV-1 carb and nitrous tunning

Post  bruno December 21st 2009, 12:10 pm

Thats some cold air ......... a recipe for nos back fire .... i hope he enough heat in the motor

www.OakleyMotorsports.com
www.Induction-Solutions.com
www.bfevansraceparts.com
www.ultimateconverter.com
www.keithfulpmotorsports.com
bruno
bruno

http://WWW.CKRME.COM

Back to top Go down

Pro-system SV-1 carb and nitrous tunning Empty Re: Pro-system SV-1 carb and nitrous tunning

Post  jones December 21st 2009, 1:34 pm

We had our Santa Claus Shootout and it was cold, but we still had pleanty of low 6 and high 5 sec passes. None of the fuel injected street cars had problems running 6.0's just the carburated car. I think we had 18 6 sec street cars (ac and full interiors) and one low 7 sec car (my brothers Honda)

That's why I need my truck to run low 6's and be streetable!

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  Induction-Solutions December 28th 2009, 11:24 am

I haven't talked to anyone yet about what happened here ??? But if I had to take a guess at this I would guess it was a starting line backfire ?? I hate to see cold weather as it does increase the chances and the numbers of backfires.. When it's 35 degrees out the engine looses heat at a rapid rate compared to a warmer day. Then you add the fact that the engine is pulling in a lot cooler intake charge as well as the added cooling from the nitrous and the additional fuel..

When the combustion chamber doesn't have enough heat in it, the fuel charge becomes even more dense and harder to light. It becomes more prone to blow out the spark or load up the plenum and ports with raw fuel, and boom... The hotter the intake air, the engine temp, as well as the chamber temp the better the fuel vaporizes and the easier it is to light these fine vapors...

I really try and preach as it gets cooler out hold more temp in the engine and pay attention to the engine temp.. When it's in the 30's out I would sure like to see at least 150 to 160 degrees in the enigine depending on how big a hit.. You'll be surprised at how much heat loss you have the cooler it gets.. just my two cents.. SJ

Brooksville, Fl. 34604
Shop 352-593-5900
Cell 815-341-8853
www.InductionSolutions.com
Induction-Solutions
Induction-Solutions
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

http://www.InductionSolutions.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jones December 28th 2009, 12:21 pm

Thanks,

Like I said there could be a lot of factors as to why and not one the carbs fault. (I guess my lack of nitrous knowledge)

Yes, he was leaving the line and a giant fireball about 15' out.

Which I am still interested in the carb (quoted a 1080-1100 true cfm). I just hear a lot of people that say "watching and waiting".

jones

Back to top Go down

Pro-system SV-1 carb and nitrous tunning Empty SV1 info

Post  PRO SYSTEMS December 28th 2009, 3:05 pm

HI Folks,

I was sent a link over here.

I also was unaware of the SV1 being involved in an explosion until now. I looked through my records and contacted the owner of the carb involved and he said it was another issue (not carb related).

The reason they did not contact us was the carb was not the culprit and was ALSO undamaged and they love its performance, so they did not feel the need to bother us. Nice folks. : )

Anyway, the SV1 survived its first trial by fire (literally). The SV1 is designed to handle Nitrous explosions, with it's very thick throttle blade, throttle shaft and the boosters designed to resist damage. Everything did its job and despite blowing the hood off the car, the SV1 idled right back down and runs perfectly.

The SV1 showed them a gain of a THREE tenths in on track performance! It also gained .03 in the 60 foot times on a motor only test (this was compared to a stock dominator...not a modified one ... so don't expect that all the time). The owner states the SV1 runs much cleaner and really cleaned the engine right up.

Thanks for the E mails folks, hope this helps you out.

I told them if they wished to expand upon the details they were certainly welcome over here at the 429-460.com forum.

Nice place you got here. : )

Patrick James
PRO SYSTEMS

PRO SYSTEMS

Back to top Go down

Post  jones December 28th 2009, 3:26 pm

Thanks Patrick and welcome to the board. (This is Josh Jones by the way) Everyone was real hush around the car and the talk around the crowd happens to be the new carb since he was the first one for everyone to see a car with one.

I hope my post wasn't taken out of context as I wasn't knocking the carb, just wondering if Steven had noticed any quarks in nitrous setup between a SV-1 and a traditional setup.

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  PRO SYSTEMS December 28th 2009, 3:33 pm

I thought it was very factually written. Good job. It says a lot about the folks on this board. : )

Patrick James
PRO SYSTEMS

PRO SYSTEMS

Back to top Go down

Post  jones December 28th 2009, 3:47 pm

Wheew!!! Well it's good to have you join and I hope you visit us from time to time. I know majority of the people on this forum (460ford days) and 98% try to be serious when it comes to the engines and not BS or tell big fish stories.

I was kind of wondering if the single venturi changed the playing field with the perimeter plate systems or the bar type?

Ps. or the Defuser type system SpeedTech uses. Sometimes I walk all around a question trying not to limit the wealth of knowledge and end-up confusing people! LOL

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  lance flake December 28th 2009, 3:56 pm

i have to say the carb in question right out of the box cranked and idled like it had been on the engine forever. i have used many of patricks carbs and the all work flawlessly. i was tied up at the shop and didn't get to go with my customer to try this new set up. i think the backfire was due to cold weather and the bottle heated pulling to much out of the battery. i think it had to be jump started in the stageing lanes. we have found some issues with the msd box as well and got a new digital 7 to install. like was said this carb picked up 3 tenths from previous carb on engine and would actually idle in all the time even cold. thanks for a great product again patrick and all the folks at pro-systems.

lance flake

Back to top Go down

Post  jones December 28th 2009, 4:02 pm

lance flake wrote:i have to say the carb in question right out of the box cranked and idled like it had been on the engine forever. i have used many of patricks carbs and the all work flawlessly. i was tied up at the shop and didn't get to go with my customer to try this new set up. i think the backfire was due to cold weather and the bottle heated pulling to much out of the battery. i think it had to be jump started in the stageing lanes. we have found some issues with the msd box as well and got a new digital 7 to install. like was said this carb picked up 3 tenths from previous carb on engine and would actually idle in all the time even cold. thanks for a great product again patrick and all the folks at pro-systems.

HAHAHAH, should have figured you had something to do with that car! Welcome to my hideout!

PS. Patrick you need to give this guy a cookie, he has had nothing but good things to say about your carbs. As I have yet to hear anything bad about any of them yet.

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  lance flake December 28th 2009, 4:51 pm

thanks bud. yea we got a few grimlins to sort out but i think it's gona be allright. i keep forgeting about the new site over hear usually to busy anyway to hangout much in the net. sure wish i coulda been with them at the track but it just didn't work out. no dout on the pro-systems carbs thats for sure. when you can call a guy on saturday night at the track to ask some questions and get advice you can't get any better than that. if all performance parts companies were as professional as pro-systems bunch this great sport would be so much better.

lance flake

Back to top Go down

Post  jones December 28th 2009, 5:21 pm

lance flake wrote:thanks bud. yea we got a few grimlins to sort out but i think it's gona be allright. i keep forgeting about the new site over hear usually to busy anyway to hangout much in the net. sure wish i coulda been with them at the track but it just didn't work out. no dout on the pro-systems carbs thats for sure. when you can call a guy on saturday night at the track to ask some questions and get advice you can't get any better than that. if all performance parts companies were as professional as pro-systems bunch this great sport would be so much better.

I know it; I use to want a SpeedTech nitrous system until they explained to me that I would never be able to get in touch with them! They explained to me that they were "racers" and wouldn't be around to "answer the phones" until Tuesday-Thursday. At first that sounded ok then I got to thinking if I had a problem at the track or need a part delivered next day on Friday. They didn't offer any cell phone numbers and was hard as hell to get up with just to order a system. From what I have learned so far these two guys are jam up.

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  windsor December 28th 2009, 6:12 pm

Good stuff! I really find these carbs interesting. If I don't end up going EFI, I think I'll try one. Heard really good things about PS.
windsor
windsor

Back to top Go down

Post  Induction-Solutions December 28th 2009, 10:27 pm

Just a quick follow up to the days post... Great to see Patrick join the board, as well as great to get a few details on what all was going on.. I always kind of have to laugh as anytime a car belches fire out the carb, it's always a "nitrous backfire".. Evil or Very Mad

Seems it could never be a low voltage signal to the MSD and it shutting down, or a hung open intake valve due to a failed spring, or maybe a rotor out of phase and causing a misfire... Anyway..... Wink

Great to see a little info on things as well as looks like a few friends found each other too.... Thanks guys for making this such a great place to hangout.. Thanks, Steve

Brooksville, Fl. 34604
Shop 352-593-5900
Cell 815-341-8853
www.InductionSolutions.com
Induction-Solutions
Induction-Solutions
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

http://www.InductionSolutions.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bruno December 29th 2009, 11:23 am

Patrick is there any problem with anti-reversion with that big of a blade ?

www.OakleyMotorsports.com
www.Induction-Solutions.com
www.bfevansraceparts.com
www.ultimateconverter.com
www.keithfulpmotorsports.com
bruno
bruno

http://WWW.CKRME.COM

Back to top Go down

Post  PRO SYSTEMS December 29th 2009, 12:06 pm

Actually the booster design on the SV1 is not really subject to reversion. I imagine you could still work on reversion plates under the opening to see if you can redirect pulses if needed...that is an area that some manifold companies like MME and Wilson are testing right now.

But as far as making the carb rich, the SV1 is not really effected by reversion. Unless its REAL bad and then there is nothing you can really do about that...but fix the engine). But typical mild reversion is not an issue.

You see, on a 4150 or Dominator carb when air backs up and goes the opposite way past the booster it "double hits" the booster. Think of the air oscillating inline with the opening of the booster (this opening on 4150 and Dominator carbs is on the side of the booster and vacuum is created during both directions of this oscillation). This draws fuel out of the booster and makes it real rich during this oscillation. The lip on the booster edge acts as a "gurney flap" and makes some pretty good signal in the opposite direction.

The SV1 booster feed holes are out of the bottom (instead of on the side), so when reversion comes up it "stops the fuel" and it restarts instantly, as on the SV1 the fuel rests above the opening "waiting to respond" when the air changes back to the proper direction.

Thanks.

Patrick James
PRO SYSTEMS

PRO SYSTEMS

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 December 29th 2009, 12:31 pm

Is there an alcohol version of this carb and if so has any testing been done with it?
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  PRO SYSTEMS December 29th 2009, 1:37 pm

Yes there is an Alky version. That surprised the heck out of us as ALKY carbs from just about everyone make the same amount of power. So our Dominator had a good decade of development into it to get ahead of folks and we really thought we couldn't beat it. The SV1 beat it on the second pull. What that did was prove the single blade/venturi layout is also responsible for making power. As atomization means nothing on alky so that SV1 advantage was gone. On average it was up about 8-10 h.p. and 8-10 lbs of torque over our Dominators. The fuel curve was identical, but atomization did come into play as once again the SV1 wanted to be leaner than a four barrel carb and once again it made more power with less fuel. Truthfully, this carb is just one surprise after another. Call CJ at SMRE (231.773.8150) some time and ask him about this carb....he does most of the dynoing lately (he is local to us so we use him when we need something tested quick). The engine just sounds so different and runs so smooth whenever we install one compared to a four barrel.

Patrick James
PRO SYSTEMS

PRO SYSTEMS

Back to top Go down

Post  rampage January 12th 2010, 5:13 pm

I would love to have one of these carbs.. From what i have heard Pro systems is the way to go and Patrick James knows his stuff..

Whats up Lance

rampage

Back to top Go down

Post  jones January 12th 2010, 6:18 pm

Patrick, do you have someone running this carb on a blow-thru setup yet?

jones

Back to top Go down

Pro-system SV-1 carb and nitrous tunning Empty Blow thru

Post  PRO SYSTEMS February 13th 2010, 9:27 pm

New Era Racecraft dynoed the SV1 Blow thru carb on Thursday. Its a 572 c.i. Pro Charged street engine, the SV1 made 41 h.p. over a competitors carb at the same boost, both carbs jetted for max power.

The SV1 achieved 1572 h.p. on 91 octane pump gas. New Era states, unlike the competitors carb the SV1 rolled in the throttle... cleanly with a perfect fuel curve AND would idle comfortably at only 700 rpm! They were amazed!

Patrick James
PRO SYSTEMS

PRO SYSTEMS

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down