BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Comp Roller lifter lessons

3 posters

Go down

Comp Roller lifter lessons Empty Comp Roller lifter lessons

Post  kjett May 6th 2019, 9:03 am

Just thought I'd share some of my headaches I've been dealing with to let others know in advance what to check. Long story, but last year I sent a set of my comp roller lifters back to Comp to get rebuilt. They found a pair was bad and replaced them. I didn't really think anything about it at the time when we put the motor together, but now see a difference. Anyway, we have been hunting down an over-oiling issue on the top end of my new engine. Found a new issue on Eliminator blocks that most would never see because I'm stubborn enough to not run bushed lifters. That issue is make sure you check the front and rear 1/4" lifter galley plugs to ensure they are threaded deep enough to seal and not bleed oil past! We found the rear plug needed to be tapped 1-1/2 turns deeper and use a .325 long plug for the galley restrictor. Then on the re-assembly and we decided to check oiling with just the lifters in we found this:

https://youtu.be/8WbnoUUgMA8

After seeing that, we went through all of the lifters and the 2 new (the date code on them are different from the rest) have the oiling hole in a different location causing a constant feed:

https://youtu.be/Vq_AMl1liAM

To end this long post, just don't get in too much of a hurry and check everything!
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Comp Roller lifter lessons Empty Re: Comp Roller lifter lessons

Post  Lem Evans May 6th 2019, 9:36 am

They clearly sent you the wrong part.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  away May 6th 2019, 9:39 am

Yes my guess would be that you got a small block ford comp lifter. Small ford and big ford oil holes are 90 degrees different from each other.
away
away

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans May 6th 2019, 9:44 am

away wrote:Yes my guess would be that you got a small block ford comp lifter.  Small ford and big ford oil holes are 90 degrees different from each other.

My thoughts too.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  kjett May 6th 2019, 9:48 am

That's what we are thinking too, just after having them sit for a year and opening a sealed box you'd expect everything to be right. Fortunately, I had another set (always keep a spare set handy) that I robbed a pair out of to get the motor back together for the dyno. Just wanted to share with everyone to not get in too much of a rush and CHECK EVERYTHING.
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  away May 6th 2019, 9:50 am

Cool glad you got it figured out for sure!
away
away

Back to top Go down

Post  kjett May 6th 2019, 9:55 am

Going to order a set of bushing roller BAM lifters soon and swap out the Comps, just need to get this thing on the pump to order converter and drop in the new truck so I can finish it up. After this mess, I'm done with Comp, but they will get slightly used because I want to go racing!
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down