BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thunderbolt clone

5 posters

Go down

Thunderbolt clone Empty Thunderbolt clone

Post  the tree man October 10th 2019, 10:32 pm

I've been working on and cruising a Vintage Burgundy,64 Fairlane 500,post,T-bolt clone for a couple years and it's getting close to where I want it. 466,dual quads and all the right stuff a clone should have. I'll try to post a couple pics. Had the motor out for improvements over the past couple winters and looking to finally step it up this winter to a level the car deserves. I was big into the 429/460 w/Cobra Jet heads back in the early 80's but there's been some significant improvements since then. Hoping to get some input here from everybody's experience.
the tree man
the tree man

Back to top Go down

Thunderbolt clone Empty Re: Thunderbolt clone

Post  the tree man October 10th 2019, 11:49 pm

Thunderbolt clone 20181110
the tree man
the tree man

68galaxie and hbstang like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  the tree man October 11th 2019, 12:19 am

Thunderbolt clone 20180310
the tree man
the tree man

hbstang likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  BBFTorino October 11th 2019, 12:35 am

Very nice!! That would be righteous with a SOHC Cammer!! But a 460 based killer just makes sense!!

BBFTorino

Back to top Go down

Post  wickettoby1 October 11th 2019, 11:18 pm

Nice Fairlane!! What’s the rest of the previous combo? What changes are you planning?

wickettoby1

Back to top Go down

Post  the tree man October 12th 2019, 10:11 pm

I posted some detail in Engine Tech. "Opinions on stroker"
the tree man
the tree man

Back to top Go down

Thunderbolt clone Empty Hello 'the tree man'

Post  unilover6163 June 9th 2020, 6:17 am

Hello the tree man,
regarding your post on Oct 10, 2019 you mentioned building the 466 BBF "With all the right stuff" including dual quads.
Can I ask what "all the right stuff to your motor might include?
I see your dual quad aluminum intake; Is it a Blue Thunder piece?
What are your engine block & cylinder head choices and what was done to them including rotating assembly?
I have a D0ve-A block with D0ve-C headsI want to rebuild for my 1963 F100 Unibody for Street driving, not for race use, and I am considering components based on others research and development.
Many thanks in advance, Pete

unilover6163

Back to top Go down

Post  the tree man June 9th 2020, 11:31 pm

I'll try to keep this short. The 460 that came with the car was disappointing at best. Took a couple seasons and two phases of unpleasant wrenching/significant changes to make it respectable. Long story. I should have just started over in the first place. Budget drove that chase and by the right stuff I meant more the cosmetics of the whole car rather than the engine particulars specifically. Post sedan,dual quads,teardrop hood,tow tabs,headlight intakes,decals,bag of snakes headers and the like. There's some great info and guys way more knowledgeable than myself as far as BBF engines on this forum and I got some nice input here as well as doing a ton of my own research,both internet and local know-it-alls. I will say as far as motor specs or components,if you're building a street motor on a decent but not extravagant budget there's lots of good middle of the road parts available that will serve you well. Roller cam is great but for street an aggressive SFT works just fine for significantly less scratch. There's no replacement for displacement. I have zero regrets stepping up to the 545. It was a big chunk of my budget but money well spent. I think the SCJ heads are a smokin' deal. The BT dual quad intake has a great retro appearance,looks OE and has lots of meat to work the ports and mine now performs excellent with some direction from members here;however.you better be up to speed on carb tuning to get a 2X4 to drive nice and work correctly on a driver. For a street guy I think all the blocks are fine but aluminium heads offer all sorts of pros over iron and are worth the cash to upgrade.

My current set up and I love it:
545 from Mark at Vigilante (Recommend)
SCJ heads w/replacement springs,retainers,keepers to match the cam
.655/.655 258/262 @ .050 (Sounds and runs great. I got the cam/lifters from Scott at Cam Research and he broke them in. In my opinion,a great idea for a paltry 60 bucks. http://www.camresearchcorp.com/camking/He also supplied the springs,locators,retainers,keepers to fit. The heights and lbs measured perfect for the SCJ heads/cam combo so I just assembled with no fuss. I've had 2 of his cams,both pre-run,and a buddy also has one,pre-run and we're both happy. Recommend.)
BT 2X4,600 VS Holleys
Stock distributor,locked out @ 30*,MSD 6A

Good luck.
the tree man
the tree man

Back to top Go down

Thunderbolt clone Empty fairlane

Post  hbstang June 10th 2020, 11:10 am

really nice fairlane!these cars are far more difficult to build than a early mustang.did you run at the track?
hbstang
hbstang

Back to top Go down

Post  the tree man June 11th 2020, 9:41 am

Not yet. I'll probably go at the end of the year so if there's a catastrophe I won't lose any croozin time this summer. The track will find the weakest link and I hate wrenching. The 460 in these cars is a horribly tight fit and everything is a real pain in the arse to service. Car was not as sorted as I thought when I bought it and over the past few years has chewed up way more resources,cash and time than I planned so I'm not sure I want to tempt fate now that it's so sweet. But like the bad dude said in Dirty Harry,"I gots to know!".
the tree man
the tree man

hbstang likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down