BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rebuild gasket set

+3
BOSS 429
Gregaust
JBR-3
7 posters

Go down

Rebuild gasket set Empty Rebuild gasket set

Post  JBR-3 October 23rd 2019, 3:33 pm

Last edited by JBR-3 on October 17th 2020, 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : .)

JBR-3

Back to top Go down

Rebuild gasket set Empty Re: Rebuild gasket set

Post  Gregaust October 24th 2019, 6:28 am

I agree on the Printoseal , not a fan at all.
But the felpro blue type small port intakes work nice or I use the Victor Reinz gaskets

Gregaust

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 October 24th 2019, 11:50 am

I CAN NOT BE THE ONLY ONE who knows how to install the 1231 intake gaskets, ALL the std layout  port heads get thses gaskets, NEVER A FAIL,EVER. This is a great gasket.  

On the dyno we have used the SAME gasket over 4 or 5 times changing intakes .
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy October 24th 2019, 5:58 pm

BOSS 429 wrote:I CAN NOT BE THE ONLY ONE who knows how to install the 1231 intake gaskets, ALL the std layout  port heads get thses gaskets, NEVER A FAIL,EVER. This is a great gasket.  

At least 10 or more times, I have had those gaskets separate right at the print-o-seal line; probably being caused by over-torquing. Sometimes they sucked air or oil and other times not. Once they leave you ... you have no control how tight people make their intake bolts. They seal very well until they don't.
That is part of the reason that Fel-Pro added a steel lamination and added an "S" to the Cobra-Jet part number.

Don't try to make a claim there have been no problems by anybody else out in the field from whatever cause.
If you like them, then use them ... that is totally your prerogative.
Other people, as well, are entitled to voice past issues; self caused, or not.

Simply call Ford Performance Parts and ask them about the failures throughout the years on crate engines where they have had calls about separated intake gasket issues after a few years. AGAIN, they have little control over how tight people make their intake bolts.

So, in essence ... you are one of the only people who know how to install them to have no issues; keep doing whatever you're doing.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 October 24th 2019, 10:28 pm

Don't try to make a claim there have been no problems by anybody else out in the field from whatever cause.  < never said there was no prob, I HAVE SAID NONE OF MY GUYS HAVE HAD ONE FAIL, IN FACT WE HAVE NEVER HAD ANY INTAKE GASKET FAIL

If you like them, then use them ... that is totally your prerogative. < I DO AND WILL
Other people, as well,  are entitled to voice past issues; self caused, or not. < NEVER SAID TO ANYONE NOT TO VOICE A BAD ISSUE WITH THEM

Simply call Ford Performance Parts and ask them about the failures throughout the years on crate engines where they have had calls about separated intake gasket issues after a few years. THEN THEY ARE DOING SOMETHING WRONG

AGAIN, they have little control over how tight people make their intake bolts.< RIGHT

So, in essence ... you are one of the only people who know how to install them to have no issues; keep doing whatever you're doing.[/quote] <WE WILL

Look plenty of my guys have reinstalled an intake with 1231s after a cam change,or after an little oil seep( silicone) out the back after 3 or 4 years, still never a prob with the gasket it self. After using these gasket's for years, ( selling over 30+< not 100% sure of the num JUST THIS YEAR) And THOSE GUYS not having a prob either I'd have to say SOMEBODY IS DOING IT WRONG is all Im saying.

I mean come on execpt for on here I dont even know anyone who has has one fail . If none of mine, none of my guys, or the guys I sell to have had one fail Id say something else is wrong,and it needs looked over to what has happpened.
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller October 24th 2019, 10:55 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:
BOSS 429 wrote:I CAN NOT BE THE ONLY ONE who knows how to install the 1231 intake gaskets, ALL the std layout  port heads get thses gaskets, NEVER A FAIL,EVER. This is a great gasket.  

At least 10 or more times, I have had those gaskets separate right at the print-o-seal line; probably being caused by over-torquing. Sometimes they sucked air or oil and other times not. Once they leave you ... you have no control how tight people make their intake bolts. They seal very well until they don't.
That is part of the reason that Fel-Pro added a steel lamination and added an "S" to the Cobra-Jet part number.

Don't try to make a claim there have been no problems by anybody else out in the field from whatever cause.  
If you like them, then use them ... that is totally your prerogative.
Other people, as well,  are entitled to voice past issues; self caused, or not.

Simply call Ford Performance Parts and ask them about the failures throughout the years on crate engines where they have had calls about separated intake gasket issues after a few years.  AGAIN, they have little control over how tight people make their intake bolts.

So, in essence ... you are one of the only people who know how to install them to have no issues; keep doing whatever you're doing.

Randy,X2 on your first paragraph I had that problem 3 or 4 different times with the CJ Port Gaskets didn't know they were using a steel Lamination in them now thanks for the info!!Smile Although the last 3 or 4 times I've had my intake off I've used the Mr.Gasket Ultra Seals IIRC without any problems!!

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller October 24th 2019, 11:00 pm

BOSS 429 wrote:

Don't try to make a claim there have been no problems by anybody else out in the field from whatever cause.  < never said there was no prob, I HAVE SAID NONE OF MY GUYS HAVE HAD ONE FAIL, IN FACT WE HAVE NEVER HAD ANY INTAKE GASKET FAIL

If you like them, then use them ... that is totally your prerogative. < I DO AND WILL
Other people, as well,  are entitled to voice past issues; self caused, or not. < NEVER SAID TO ANYONE NOT TO VOICE A BAD ISSUE WITH THEM

Simply call Ford Performance Parts and ask them about the failures throughout the years on crate engines where they have had calls about separated intake gasket issues after a few years.  THEN THEY ARE DOING SOMETHING WRONG

AGAIN, they have little control over how tight people make their intake bolts.< RIGHT

<WE WILL

Look plenty of my guys have reinstalled an intake with 1231s after a cam change,or after an little oil seep( silicone) out the back after 3 or 4 years, still never a prob with the gasket it self. After using these gasket's for years, ( selling over 30+< not 100% sure of the num JUST THIS YEAR) And  THOSE GUYS not having a prob either I'd have to say  SOMEBODY IS DOING IT WRONG is all Im saying.

I mean come on execpt for on here I dont even know anyone who has has one fail  . If none of mine, none of my guys, or the guys I sell to have had one fail Id say something else is wrong,and it needs looked over to what has happpened. [/quote]

Reread what Randy said he said they could have been overtightening the Intake bolts Hell maybe I was but I DID have PROBLEMS with them 3 or 4 different times Changed to MR.Gaskets no more problems tightening them the same way as with the Fel Pro Gaskets now Head Gaskets never any problems with the Fel Pro's!!

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  stanger68 October 25th 2019, 12:42 am

I’ve used fel pro for more times than I can count. I’ve never had a gasket nor work because of the gasket quality. I too have never heard anything bad about fel pro in general until I joined this site. I don’t get it. What are you guys doing to your gaskets today make them fail???? Victor Reinz are good also. I’ll never use mr. gasket valve cover gaskets again. You might as well not have a gasket at all.

stanger68

Back to top Go down

Post  jpierce55 October 25th 2019, 3:41 pm

I had a set of Fel-pro gaskets that did not seal 20 years back, the speedshop recommended the Ulta Seals, a very fine product, you can't judge the intake gasket by the vc gasket Wink. That said, I never tried another set of Fel-pro gaskets on the intake again as far as I remember.

jpierce55

Back to top Go down

Post  JBR-3 October 26th 2019, 11:11 pm

Last edited by JBR-3 on October 17th 2020, 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : .)

JBR-3

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller October 27th 2019, 12:10 am

JBR-3 wrote:What about using a thin film of grease on the blue print-o-seal "o-ring" so they wouldn't tear
when the intake is torqued down ?
How are you guys installing the print-o-seals so they work ?

X2 on your questions!! Smile

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy October 27th 2019, 9:40 am

JBR-3 wrote:What about using a thin film of grease on the blue print-o-seal "o-ring" so they wouldn't tear

ALL brand print-o-seal gaskets are not the same.

The Fel-Pro gaskets in question are Teflon coated on the print-o-seal side.
Simply tighten them SNUG ... don't over-torque them.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller October 28th 2019, 10:57 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:

ALL brand print-o-seal gaskets are not the same.

The Fel-Pro gaskets in question are Teflon coated on the print-o-seal side.
Simply tighten them SNUG ... don't over-torque them.

Thanks

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down