BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Bolt On" 460 aluminum heads? Existing engine, thinking about new heads.

+3
Gregaust
rmcomprandy
danski0224
7 posters

Go down

"Bolt On" 460 aluminum heads? Existing engine, thinking about new heads. Empty "Bolt On" 460 aluminum heads? Existing engine, thinking about new heads.

Post  danski0224 May 17th 2020, 9:06 am

If I have a mildly warmed over 460 engine with D3VE-A2A heads, what are the best choices for an aftermarket head swap?

The engine was put together in 1991, and it still runs just fine, and I really don't want to redo the whole thing. Well, I would like to, but it comes down to extra money.

I don't remember all of the specs (and can't find the paperwork), but it was balanced, it has SVO roller rockers, and most likely flat top pistons (pump gas, likely 9.5 to maybe 10:1), which should be forged. I'd have to look at Comp Cams current offerings to make a best guess, but it is a hydraulic grind, pulls a good vacuum, and is most likely comparable to what would be called an "RV cam".

It isn't a radical build but it sounds nice and has been reliable.

A different cam is a possibility. I get that a lot has changed since mine was installed.

Based on what I have been digging through here, it appears that TFS and Edelbrock appear to be the only realistic choices without a piston swap.

Thanks.

danski0224

Back to top Go down

"Bolt On" 460 aluminum heads? Existing engine, thinking about new heads. Empty Re: "Bolt On" 460 aluminum heads? Existing engine, thinking about new heads.

Post  rmcomprandy May 17th 2020, 11:36 am

danski0224 wrote:If I have a mildly warmed over 460 engine with D3VE-A2A heads, what are the best choices for an aftermarket head swap?

The engine was put together in 1991, and it still runs just fine, and I really don't want to redo the whole thing. Well, I would like to, but it comes down to extra money.

I don't remember all of the specs (and can't find the paperwork), but it was balanced, it has SVO roller rockers, and most likely flat top pistons (pump gas, likely 9.5 to maybe 10:1), which should be forged. I'd have to look at Comp Cams current offerings to make a best guess, but it is a hydraulic grind, pulls a good vacuum, and is most likely comparable to what would be called an "RV cam".

It isn't a radical build but it sounds nice and has been reliable.

A different cam is a possibility. I get that a lot has changed since mine was installed.

Based on what I have been digging through here, it appears that TFS and Edelbrock appear to be the only realistic choices without a piston swap.

Thanks.

Edelbrock "big chamber" heads ...

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

"Bolt On" 460 aluminum heads? Existing engine, thinking about new heads. Empty Re: "Bolt On" 460 aluminum heads? Existing engine, thinking about new heads.

Post  Gregaust May 18th 2020, 4:18 am

I did a similar change , similar combo, removed ported D3 and went 95cc Edelbrocks . Picked up approx. 40 RWHP

Gregaust

Back to top Go down

Post  gt350hr May 18th 2020, 12:22 pm

AND lost 50lbs. The Trick Flow head is good too. The lower price Speedmaster leaves allot to be desired unless you buy them from a seller that "builds them" themselves.

gt350hr

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy May 19th 2020, 9:55 am

gt350hr wrote:   AND lost 50lbs. The Trick Flow head is good too. The lower price Speedmaster leaves allot to be desired unless you buy them from a seller that "builds them" themselves.

YES ... good castings ... terrible hardware.

If only Trick Flow made a "big chamber" head ...

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  wickettoby1 May 19th 2020, 1:14 pm

Hey Randy, what is so terrible about the hardware that’s delivered with the Speedmaster/Procomps ? Just wondering, I don’t plan on buying them now or in the future.

wickettoby1

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy May 19th 2020, 4:59 pm

wickettoby1 wrote:Hey Randy, what is so terrible about the hardware that’s delivered with the Speedmaster/Procomps ? Just wondering, I don’t plan on buying them now or in the future.

Some are good, some are bad quality, a lot will break or screw-up when you least expect it ... no consistency with any metallurgy or longevity.

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  wickettoby1 May 19th 2020, 5:24 pm

So have the valve's, springs, retainers, keepers, studs all shown to have premature failures?

wickettoby1

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy May 20th 2020, 11:55 am

wickettoby1 wrote:So have the valve's, springs, retainers, keepers, studs all shown to have premature failures?

Use whatever you want ... it's all a judgement call depending upon whose judgement you wish to believe.

Gain your own experience and go into business, sell hundreds of them and have 10% return because one thing or another screwed-up ... You may get lucky and be in that 90% so, gamble as you wish.

EDIT: Recalling that only the bare castings, spring seats and retainers didn't fail.

Last edited by rmcomprandy on May 20th 2020, 12:04 pm; edited 2 times in total

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  wickettoby1 May 20th 2020, 12:01 pm

I have no desire to use the Speedmaster/Procomp heads I was just curious to what component failures people were actually experiencing. FYI the 547 build that I completed (a copy of Sotts 557 build) last year uses AFR315's and I couldn't be happier with the AFR heads and the overall results.

wickettoby1

Back to top Go down

Post  the tree man May 23rd 2020, 9:08 pm

I have a couple buddies that had issues with the PC heads on BBC's. Both had a few valve stem tips flaking apart and chipping off. One was solid roller but the other was hydraulic with the lighter springs. Unfortunately,the solid roller guy didn't see the flaking until a teardown after the motor grenaded. A valve head broke off and fell in the engine. Had pieces of cylinder wall spit out the tail pipe. Tough day.
the tree man
the tree man

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt May 24th 2020, 9:12 am

Procomp rebrands their crap because they are nothing but problems, and then people ask what is wrong with Speedmaster. Rolling Eyes
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down