BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Parts selection for blown application (Budget - Mild Boost)

+8
cstmwgn
dfree383
stanger68
cool40
Uglytruck
69F100
rmcomprandy
quarterflash
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Parts selection for blown application (Budget - Mild Boost) - Page 2 Empty Blown mild build.

Post  blown473 December 25th 2020, 11:12 pm

I've been running blown 385 series engines over 15 years now, first did a 8-71 blown 460, and now a 8-71 blown 521. What is the CC of your heads ? The compression will be determined by you head combustion chamber and your piston choice. In a mild build stock stroke the factory D3 heads and forged replacement dish top pistons give you around 8 to 1 which is perfect for gasoline. With a 6-71 you will need to spin the blower a little faster drive wise to make decent boost. With your stroked crank I'd still look for a forged dish top piston. You might contact Paul Kane / High Flow Dynamics on the forum as he has lots of piston sets he might have something you can use at a decent price, great guy to deal with. Buy some good head gaskets what ever you do, Cometic or something like Ford Racing with fire rings. Your 750 carbs set up for boost will run awesome that's what I used on both my engines. Many camshaft companies make blower grind cams, I went through Hampton Blowers who had Crower custom grind me a cam it's been fantastic and easy on the valvetrain. Get your distributor set up for a blower, too much timing is a bad thing.
blown473
blown473

Mark Miller likes this post

Back to top Go down

Parts selection for blown application (Budget - Mild Boost) - Page 2 Empty Re: Parts selection for blown application (Budget - Mild Boost)

Post  quarterflash December 26th 2020, 8:22 am

blown473 wrote:I've been running blown 385 series engines over 15 years now, first did a 8-71 blown 460, and now a 8-71 blown 521.  What is the CC of your heads ? The compression will be determined by you head combustion chamber and your piston choice. In a mild build stock stroke the factory D3 heads and forged replacement dish top pistons give you around 8 to 1 which is perfect for gasoline.  With a 6-71 you will need to spin the blower a little faster drive wise to make decent boost. With your stroked crank I'd still look for a forged dish top piston. You might contact Paul Kane / High Flow Dynamics on the forum as he has lots of piston sets he might have something you can use at a decent price, great guy to deal with. Buy some good head gaskets what ever you do, Cometic or something like Ford Racing with fire rings. Your 750 carbs set up for boost will run awesome that's what I used on both my engines. Many camshaft companies make blower grind cams, I went through Hampton Blowers who had Crower custom grind me a cam it's been fantastic and easy on the valvetrain. Get your distributor set up for a blower, too much timing is a bad thing.

The M-6049-SCJ Heads have a 72cc combustion chamber. Based on your input and several others I starting to see two clear paths.

Mild blown gas (as follows):

Block: D9TE-AB (std)
Crank: Ford stock Crank 3.85 Stroke
Rods: CRS6605F990 Eagle,429/460 Big Block Ford, 4340 Forged H-Beam 6.605" Rod, Pin End Bore 0.990 in.
Heads: M-6049-SCJ (72cc chamber) Exhaust Valve 1.76 in , Intake Valve 2.2 in
Pistons: TBD (0.990 in Pin seems to create a problem)
Cam: TBD
Manifold: BM-5056 429-460 FORD UNPOLISHED BDS INTAKE SATIN
Blower: 6-71
Injection: Enderle Bird Catcher

Mild (if that's possible) Blown Methanol:

Block: D9TE-AB (two available - .060 over or std) Wanted D0VE block but tired of looking locally
Crank: Eagle CRS446041402200 4340 Forged Crank 4.140 Stroke
Rods: GRP Alumimum 6.7
Heads: M-6049-SCJ
Pistons: TBD (Diamond > Budget) Outstanding website though
Blower: 6-71 (I know its small but "Budget - Mild Boost")
Injection: Enderle Bird Catcher Fuel will be high octane Gas

If Paul's on here I'd be happy to have him PM me about pistons he may have available.

Steve
quarterflash
quarterflash

http://www.dragboatfever.com

Back to top Go down

Parts selection for blown application (Budget - Mild Boost) - Page 2 Empty Re: Parts selection for blown application (Budget - Mild Boost)

Post  Paul Kane December 26th 2020, 3:00 pm

quarterflash wrote:I’m going cross eyed searching the internet trying to fill in the blanks “TBD” on this project. The parts in bold have already been acquired. Pistons are my biggest frustration. Haven’t even considered cam choice yet and rods seem easy after pistons are selected. Your input would be greatly appreciated!

Block: D9TE-AB (two available - .060 over or std) Wanted D0VE block but tired of looking locally
Crank: Eagle CRS446041402200 4340 Forged Crank 4.140 Stroke
Rods: GRP Alumimum 6.7
Heads: M-6049-SCJ
Pistons: TBD (Diamond > Budget) Outstanding website though
Blower: 6-71 (I know its small but "Budget - Mild Boost")
Injection: Enderle Bird Catcher Fuel will be high octane Gas

This engine will be an upgraded for 1978 Cole Hydro "Quarter Flash".

Thanks in advance for your help.

Steve
It appears you're attempting to build a blown 385 Series on a budget; those two words ("budget" & "blown") don't typically belong together.  Some of the listed parts I might use on a budget blower engine, and some I would not use on a higher powered blown engine and/or are not well suited for a blown stroker engine.  So if budget is the focus here--and you're stuck with the 6-71--I suggest the following:

Budget Blown 460 with 6-71:

Block: D9TE-AB (std)
Crank: Ford stock Crank 3.85 Stroke
Rods: CRS6605F990 Eagle,429/460 Big Block Ford, 4340 Forged H-Beam 6.605" Rod, Pin End Bore 0.990 in.
Pistons: Forged 460 flat tops with 0.990 in Pin (yes, they are available)
Heads: M-6049-SCJ (72cc chamber) Exhaust Valve 1.76 in , Intake Valve 2.2 in
0.093" copper head gaskets
(Final compression  ratio ~10.5:1)
Blower: 6-71, 15-20% overdriven
Injection: Enderle Bird Catcher
Methanol for fuel

You must cut/machine the length of a spacer sleeve down so as to fit past the timing cover seal and barely protrude forward of the seal, then flip the blower hub around so that the belt cog is up against the timing cover.

(There is more to the details of the build)

If budget is not an issue, then lose the 6-71 for something larger, 4-bolt the D9TE block, stroke the engine, etc.

Please call directly for any further details.
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

http://www.highflowdynamics.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2