BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mismatched parts for DD?

4 posters

Go down

Mismatched parts for DD? Empty Mismatched parts for DD?

Post  psquare75 December 29th 2009, 5:44 pm

So That other '77 Cougar I got is now here.

https://www.429-460.com/general-discussion-f5/so-i-am-getting-yet-another-car-t2207.htm

I received all the receipts for it, as well. Like $13K worth. Mechanically, here's what I have.

Figure the car is 4400# or so.

Engine: C9VE block .040 over. internally balanced with football rods, forged pistons (2404? I don't have the receipts here at work) and Total Seal rings. C9VE heads. ported on the exhaust side to remove the thermactor bumps and improve flow. Low to mid 9s compression.
Mild Crane cam, 260/272 .487/.518.. 112 center. Comp Cams Magnum roller tips, Weiand Stealth intake, Holley 750 w/vacuum secondaries
Ignition is a Mallory Unilite dizzy with a Pertronix ignition conversion. Hooker Super Comps (1 7/8" primarys) 3" pipes to 3" converters and 3" short Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers, out to 2.5" pipes.

C6 has a 'few extra clutches', a generic 'shift kit', and an E4OD swap, along with a nice and beefy deep finned aluminum pan. Stock converter from a Lincoln.

Rear end. 2.47:1 Embarassed

Rear tire is 28" tall.

Haven't driven it yet except to park it. Surprisingly, it's a little quicker than I thought it would be.. I have a Performer intake and a center chunk with 3.25:1 gears in it. If I swapped these parts and put a trailer hitch, would I be able to tow my house* around and have a nimble daily driver?

*My house is not on wheels, it was for imagery.
psquare75
psquare75

http://www.reklessracing.net

Back to top Go down

Mismatched parts for DD? Empty Re: Mismatched parts for DD?

Post  torkair December 29th 2009, 7:02 pm

swap in those 3.25 gears, they'll suprise the hell out of you (might want to look into some wider rear rubber at that point too).
torkair
torkair

Back to top Go down

Mismatched parts for DD? Empty The gears will deffinitely help.

Post  fordman460 December 29th 2009, 7:22 pm

The performer intake should help below 3000rpm for cruising and to get the "nimble daily driver".
fordman460
fordman460

Back to top Go down

Post  cletus66 December 29th 2009, 9:43 pm

I would run it for a while as-is to get a good feel for it. You might be surprised. I have heard some bad Unilite stories, so maybe keep a spare Duraspark around. We had a 78 Tbird with a 351m. I loved the way that car drove and rode, but that 351 would keep running backwards for a couple minutes as you were walking away. Shocked Laughing
cletus66
cletus66

Back to top Go down

Post  psquare75 December 30th 2009, 10:37 am

Laughing

This one isn't exactly boat like, Poly bushings, stiff springs and shocks tend to take up and see saw leaning. I should be getting plates for it next year ( in a week). I have to admit I was impressed when it came through on a trailer, enduring 20 degree temps, and it fired up immediately.

I actually emailed the PO last night. He said he based it on this build from an old Super Ford article. He said he wished it had a Performer, and if he were doing it again, it would.

http://www.460ford.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97311

Oh. It's got Rhoades lifters in it as well (I dug through my receipt box).
psquare75
psquare75

http://www.reklessracing.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down