BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thermostat bolt removal

4 posters

Go down

Thermostat bolt removal Empty Thermostat bolt removal

Post  Kobelco December 15th 2022, 6:22 pm

Before I get flames tossed at me, it is a 1992 E w 460 real pain to work on the top end. I need to replace the thermostat but the bolts will not turn. Distributor is probably stuck also. I have my ideas on how to loosen the bolts but I can not have anything get damaged in the surrounding area. Spraying the bolt heads with penetrant will probably not do anything. So please post some suggestions thanks.

Kobelco

Back to top Go down

Thermostat bolt removal Empty Re: Thermostat bolt removal

Post  BBFTorino December 15th 2022, 7:25 pm

If possible, get a small hand held propane torch and heat the area where the bolts thread into, and gently work the bolts back and forth.
If you cant get the heat in there, try working the bolts back and forth just as they are.
If they break off, then you get the fun of drilling and using an easy-out extractor!

BBFTorino

Kobelco likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  2 wicked December 15th 2022, 8:30 pm

Do u have a air hammer? If u can get it in there, rattle the head of the bolts a few ratatats. Or a punch and hammer. The shock will usually loosen the corrosion. Good luck, cory

2 wicked

Kobelco likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  zbob December 15th 2022, 9:36 pm

supperzilla. had the local goofball recommend it to me. laughed, whatever. pounded on a 70 year gun part for a hour with no luck. hit it will the supperzilla, the stuff works. wtf...fwiw....zbob

zbob

Mark Miller and Kobelco like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Kobelco February 1st 2023, 1:44 pm

I drilled the bolt bosses on  the housing not intake, it was so rusted they would have snapped. No way to use a torch without melting other surrounding hardware.  $15 for a new housing.  Anti Seize goes a looong way.

Kobelco

Mark Miller likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down