BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newbie Here

2 posters

Go down

Newbie Here Empty Newbie Here

Post  Dixiefried1 April 28th 2023, 11:02 am

Hello All

Haven’t been on here in several years. Trying to help my ex father in law out with his 1976 F150 Step Side. He put in a 460 out of another truck about 10years ago. Motor was rebuilt by a guy he met at our local track. It’s bored .30 over with flat top pistons and Dove C heads that were gone through. He put in a cam that I have no idea what it is. Motor has overheated since day 1. So rather than fix the issue he just kept adding electric fans and an extra battery for cranking. I built the C6 with the kit he was told it needed. I believe it has a 3-3500 stall converter. Rear was redone by me with 4.11 gears. Truck weighs somewhere between 3000-3200 lbs. He’s 74 and wanted to try and play around at the track in Gainesville with it. All I want to do is help him smile a little bit. So with that said I’m going to buy some SCJ heads from one of the vendors on here with pistons to match. Replace the cam with one that better suits what he’s doing and a different intake to go along with everything. This thing will never meet the street. It’s just something for him to mess with. The truck only gained .2 in the 1/8 swapping from the old 400 to the 460. So with SCJ heads and pistons, better cam, intake and carb to match, what would be a guess on a realistic power number. Whenever he gets tired of it or to old to do it I’ll take the heads and use them myself on something if the time comes. Only reason I’m buying them to start with. Any help, guidance or insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Brian

Dixiefried1

Back to top Go down

Newbie Here Empty Re: Newbie Here

Post  supervel45 April 28th 2023, 12:11 pm

Welcome back. Nice to see someone racing /helping their father inlaw too.

Here's a 466 build to ponder with the SVO SCJ's. There are plenty of others also.

Are you positive that 1976 is down to 3,200 pounds, seems awful light without a lot of fiberglass?

https://www.429-460.com/t23410-466-aluminum-scj-cylinder-heads

If you want to spend a little more money on pistons and fuel here's another one. Like the OP said the Dyno maybe have been a little optimistic but, the time slips don't lie.

https://www.429-460.com/t14025-473-scj

With a SFT I would say 650HP is more realistic with stockish SCJA's on a build like the above in the first link.

PS: On the heating problem maybe the head gasket backwards?

supervel45

Back to top Go down