BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

distributer

+4
bbf-falcon
schmitty
Greg_P
Fat Fender 460
8 posters

Go down

distributer Empty distributer

Post  Fat Fender 460 January 2nd 2010, 1:00 pm

Has any one used one of these distributer that is on e-bay to change it to an hie. this is the link where it is for sale on e-bay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/FORD-351-351C-429-460-CLEVELAND-HEI-DISTRIBUTOR-6506-R_W0QQitemZ370285119993QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item5636b689f9
Fat Fender 460
Fat Fender 460

Back to top Go down

distributer Empty Re: distributer

Post  Greg_P January 2nd 2010, 1:03 pm

WTF? Why would a guy put that giant ass stupid looking distributor on a Ford?

A factory Duraspark II will work great for your application, and then you won't have that giant birthday cake sitting there on the front of your engine.

Of course, you have to hook up 4 wires to make the duraspark run, but if you can do that you've got it made.

Greg
Greg_P
Greg_P

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty January 2nd 2010, 2:39 pm

X2 I'm with Greg on this. The Duraspark is a great dizzy and I can't think of anything that the HEI can do any better, plus the D/S has a built in spark retard for starting. Cool
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon January 2nd 2010, 5:31 pm

Fat Fender 460 wrote:Has any one used one of these distributer that is on e-bay to change it to an hie. this is the link where it is for sale on e-bay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/FORD-351-351C-429-460-CLEVELAND-HEI-DISTRIBUTOR-6506-R_W0QQitemZ370285119993QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item5636b689f9

John, they are right about the duraspark. Take the duraspark and give it to Randy when you see him at the gym. Tell him I said to set it up for you. Works just as good as any other. Grab you a 6AL MSD box and stick on it and your in business Wink

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

distributer Empty I see the light

Post  Fat Fender 460 January 2nd 2010, 11:09 pm

well i guess i came to the right place for answers to my questions, thanks for helping me to not make a big mistake in making fire for the 460. quite honestly im not sure what i was thinking (cheap i guess). well thanks for the input so quickly fellows. i think that im going to pick a reman distributer at advanced auto, does that sound like a better plan? Shocked
Fat Fender 460
Fat Fender 460

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty January 3rd 2010, 12:47 am

Get with The Mad Porter (Scotty J) and get one of his reman dizzies and it will be a lot better than anything you could get at a local parts store. Cool
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  The Mad Porter January 9th 2010, 4:09 pm

Over the course of the last 8 or so years i have sold many hundreds of remanned duraspark dizzys with a recurve on my dist machine.

Very few failures or issues of any sort. I have seen few instances where an msd dizzy made any more power than a properly prepared duraspark.
I draw the line for upgrade to a good aftermarket unit at about 650 to 700 hp.

Cool
The Mad Porter
The Mad Porter

http://www.reincarnation-automotive.com

Back to top Go down

Post  72puller January 9th 2010, 7:25 pm

I am curious at what RPM an upgrade to aftermarket is needed. All I've ever used in my pulling truck is a locked Durasprark with a 300+ accel ignition and coil. My motor should have 600+ HP and turns mid 7,000 rpm. Would I see anymore RPM and/or power with a MSD dist. and a different box?

Dennis
72puller
72puller

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty January 9th 2010, 11:22 pm

Dennis, I have been using a stock box and locked out dizzy on my mudder for a couple of years and many were sceptical of it being able to handle 13:1 C/R and 6k + rpm. My only trouble was hot starts and I put on a Digital 6+ MSD box with start retard. Does it run better, you bet. I'm going to put an MSD dizzy in this winter too, because I am having issues with the cap wanting to tip to the rear and it shears off the rotor and destroys the cap and rotor. I can find no reason for this. I have put on three different caps and have no idea what is causing it, so I'm going with an MSD Pro Billet hoping to cure the problem. Cool
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori January 9th 2010, 11:39 pm

schmitty wrote:Dennis, I have been using a stock box and locked out dizzy on my mudder for a couple of years and many were sceptical of it being able to handle 13:1 C/R and 6k + rpm. My only trouble was hot starts and I put on a Digital 6+ MSD box with start retard. Does it run better, you bet. I'm going to put an MSD dizzy in this winter too, because I am having issues with the cap wanting to tip to the rear and it shears off the rotor and destroys the cap and rotor. I can find no reason for this. I have put on three different caps and have no idea what is causing it, so I'm going with an MSD Pro Billet hoping to cure the problem. Cool

Is it your cap moving or the rotor? Maybe the bushings are getting loose?

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty January 9th 2010, 11:43 pm

billandlori wrote:
schmitty wrote:Dennis, I have been using a stock box and locked out dizzy on my mudder for a couple of years and many were sceptical of it being able to handle 13:1 C/R and 6k + rpm. My only trouble was hot starts and I put on a Digital 6+ MSD box with start retard. Does it run better, you bet. I'm going to put an MSD dizzy in this winter too, because I am having issues with the cap wanting to tip to the rear and it shears off the rotor and destroys the cap and rotor. I can find no reason for this. I have put on three different caps and have no idea what is causing it, so I'm going with an MSD Pro Billet hoping to cure the problem. Cool

Is it your cap moving or the rotor? Maybe the bushings are getting loose?

Bill
Shaft feels tight, and cap snaps down good and I can't make it tip off with normal hand pressure. I can force it off if I push hard enough, but I doubt that it gets that much force during a run through the pits.
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle January 10th 2010, 1:24 pm

Is the rotor tight? Maybe it's loose and contacting the cap...?

Get a Duraspark and you'll be fine. I had one that ran in my 13:1 357 SBF at 8500... You can even run the Duraspark box if it's just a cruiser. Those are very easy to hook up too. I'm sure the Duraspark box is cheaper than a MSD box as well.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down