BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5.4 Triton

+2
TravisRice
Nevs
6 posters

Go down

5.4 Triton Empty 5.4 Triton

Post  Nevs January 5th 2010, 10:37 pm

Anyone have any knowledge on the 5.4? I've got one in my 2001 Supercrew and have been very happy with it. However, during the recent cold snap, I've noticed a problem when I start it in the morning. I'ts always garaged, although the garage isn't heated and when I first start it the oil pressure gauge doesn't move and the red oil light comes on. I use the recommended 5W20 oil, change it every 3000 miles(Mobil1), and don't recall this happening in previous winters. Once it warms for a couple of minutes the gauge begins to work and the light goes out, no noises, etc. It's been 20*-25* below for the last couple of weeks in the morning, so I've just chaulked it up to that. Just don't want to tear something up. My local Ford dealer says not to worry, it has pressure, the oil is just too thick to reach the sender. Is this good advise or do I have a larger issue? Any thoughts? Idea
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

5.4 Triton Empty Re: 5.4 Triton

Post  TravisRice January 5th 2010, 10:41 pm

If it has been that cold, I would invest in a plug in dipstick just to ease my mind a little. I know it's not the technical answer but that is some pretty cold mornings. You would be safe for sure that way.

For what its worth.
Travis

TravisRice
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs January 5th 2010, 10:43 pm

TravisRice wrote:If it has been that cold, I would invest in a plug in dipstick just to ease my mind a little. I know it's not the technical answer but that is some pretty cold mornings. You would be safe for sure that way.

For what its worth.
Travis

Thanks, Travis, I hadn't thought of that, I had considered a block heater, but an dipstick heater is a good idea. I'll check into one tomorrow.
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 January 5th 2010, 11:33 pm

A guy at work last winter was haveing the same problem his was the sending unit it only did it when it was real cold , my buddy at the ford dealer ship told me to have him change the sending unit, and i changed it out for him and his problem went away he said the sending unit does that at time on them in cold weather something about the valve in them stick until the oil tins up alittle don't now if its true or not but his problem went away after putting the new one on and it a pain to get to right above the filter in a hard place to get to
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 January 5th 2010, 11:50 pm

oil sending unit.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  John I. January 5th 2010, 11:58 pm

I wouldn't worry about it. Up here where I camp, I've seen guages not move for close to 30 seconds on some of the bad assed mornings. You're trying to force syrup into a hole the size of a **** hair, and it takes a while to accomplish it.

John I.
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs January 6th 2010, 12:05 am

I'll get the sending unit changed. Thanks, guys!
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  61coon January 7th 2010, 12:17 am

About that block heater......I was changing my oil on my 99 F-150 and noticed what looked like a little extention cord going to my freeze plugs.It got my curiosity up,so upon further inspection i found a plug-in behind the front bumper and it came from the factory that way.Don't know if it was for certain year models or region specific vehicles or what,but you might want to take a look for something like that.It's worth a shot.I live in Tennessee and really don't need to plug it up,but the other night I did just for kicks and grins.Next morning it was 8 deg.F and my heat got warm really quick.I thought that was kinda cool. Smile---RED
61coon
61coon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down