BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

p51 heads vs scj heads??? for money what one is the best

+7
cletus66
bruno
rmcomprandy
The Pope
dfree383
lghting94
5pointslow
11 posters

Go down

p51 heads vs scj heads??? for money what one is the best Empty p51 heads vs scj heads??? for money what one is the best

Post  5pointslow January 12th 2010, 10:41 pm

p51 heads vs scj heads??? for money what one is the best

i ve narrowed down to these to sets of heads , trying to figuare which ones to

get was gonna get some scj but then ive heard the p51s are realy nice for money ?
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

p51 heads vs scj heads??? for money what one is the best Empty Re: p51 heads vs scj heads??? for money what one is the best

Post  lghting94 January 12th 2010, 10:47 pm

I posted this same question a month or so ago and after much debating I called Lem and discussed my goals with him and would recommend you do the same he is very informative and knowledgable about these heads. Also you should fully decide what your plans are now and in the future.
Here is a link to that topic: https://www.429-460.com/engine-tech-f2/scj-s-or-p-51-s-t2473.htm
lghting94
lghting94

Back to top Go down

p51 heads vs scj heads??? for money what one is the best Empty Re: p51 heads vs scj heads??? for money what one is the best

Post  dfree383 January 13th 2010, 7:38 am

at the current price a set of SCJ's is hard to beat if you going to use them out of the box. definetly a big improvement over stock stuff.

The P-51 are a great upgade over the scj's also......... comes down to $$$$ IMO
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  The Pope January 13th 2010, 8:02 am

Food for thought:

- What are your long term plans for this engine?

- Will the SCJ's (ported/max effort) accomplish the long term plans?

- Will the P-51's satisfy your long term plans in an "Out Of The Box" set-up or will it take addisional work (porting/max effort) for them to satisfy your long term plans?

So is spending more $$$ for the P-51s a better buy (in the long run) or will the SCJ's do all that you want for less $$$???

Like I said, food for thought and as dfree383 has already mentioned "at the current price a set of SCJ's is hard to beat if you going to use them out of the box. definetly a big improvement over stock stuff."
The Pope
The Pope

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy January 13th 2010, 9:58 am

For some reason, people always want to believe that there is a BEST this and BEST that and BEST cylinder head ... that is the joke about the proverbial "brick shithouse".
BEST is defined by what will do the job at hand with nothing to be WASTED in the end.
Just about every different expectation and combination with have a BEST cylinder head ... for THAT purpose.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bruno January 13th 2010, 10:04 am

its all about application ....... its best to discuss your goals w/ your engine builder ..... there is no best like Randy said

www.OakleyMotorsports.com
www.Induction-Solutions.com
www.bfevansraceparts.com
www.ultimateconverter.com
www.keithfulpmotorsports.com
bruno
bruno

http://WWW.CKRME.COM

Back to top Go down

Post  cletus66 January 13th 2010, 12:37 pm

My neighbor builds engines, and had a few people switch from ported SCJ's to P51s when they came out. Most had zero improvement in et. This anecdotal evidence proves nothing, because there are too many variables involved, and who knows what kind of cork in the system or tuning screwup was causing the results. So there ya go. I am always happy to say nothing in my attempt to help. Embarassed Laughing
cletus66
cletus66

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 January 13th 2010, 12:57 pm

cletus66 wrote:My neighbor builds engines, and had a few people switch from ported SCJ's to P51s when they came out. Most had zero improvement in et. This anecdotal evidence proves nothing, because there are too many variables involved, and who knows what kind of cork in the system or tuning screwup was causing the results. So there ya go. I am always happy to say nothing in my attempt to help. Embarassed Laughing

Ported P-51's vs ported SCJ's of Ported SCJ's vs unported P-51's? Please clarify?
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  The Pope January 13th 2010, 1:43 pm

dfree383 wrote:
cletus66 wrote:My neighbor builds engines, and had a few people switch from ported SCJ's to P51s when they came out. Most had zero improvement in et. This anecdotal evidence proves nothing, because there are too many variables involved, and who knows what kind of cork in the system or tuning screwup was causing the results. So there ya go. I am always happy to say nothing in my attempt to help. Embarassed Laughing

Ported P-51's vs ported SCJ's or Ported SCJ's vs unported P-51's? Please clarify?

I had the same question. It was most likely Non-Ported P-51 vs Ported SCJ (may have been Max Efforted Ported SCJ). Suspect
The Pope
The Pope

Back to top Go down

Post  cletus66 January 13th 2010, 2:40 pm

dfree383 wrote:

Ported P-51's vs ported SCJ's of Ported SCJ's vs unported P-51's? Please clarify?

Several different scenarios. Too many variables to keep up with. Which is why I made sure to say, " This anecdotal evidence proves nothing." I was just relaying his general impression of both heads (many sets) in local guys cars with local guys tuning them and running them. Can you see how it would be very "non scientific" ? Laughing

Even Mr. Kaase mentioned that every few years they will play with the ports, test with the flow bench, and get no et improvement. Shocked
cletus66
cletus66

Back to top Go down

Post  jmayabb January 13th 2010, 3:34 pm

From what I have read and seen a P51 out of the box is what a max ported SCJ head is. The pistons are the same for both heads also. We are working on a 4 cylinder engine that uses a 460 type head and we chose the SCJ because of the cubic inches (243) and the camshaft limitations. The "best" head will not always perform the best because of different combinations. We felt the P51 was too big four our combo. There are a lot of factors to consider.
jmayabb
jmayabb

http://www.joesraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle January 13th 2010, 3:51 pm

All depends on the combo. For a street car the SCJs are probably the better option. Smaller ports to work with initially, bette rvelocity, etc...

For an all out drag car like mine the P51s were the better choice. I don't have the money to spend on changing a combo every year or two. I figured I'll spend a little more now on some P51s and run them for a few years. When I'm ready to upgrade the cubes from the 514 to say a 572, etc... it'll take minimal effort on the head side to do that.

That and I liked the out of the box numbers I can get with a set of the P51s. More bang for the buck in an all out race application IMO.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  5pointslow January 13th 2010, 5:46 pm

ive posted it several time gonna do a 545 hoppin 13.1 ish and hoppin to get car 9.00-9.50 in my mustang
this is gonna be a track only car with a glide
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 January 13th 2010, 5:51 pm

if your building a totaly new engine and don't have anything your reusing, A460 heads are a better bang for the $$$ IMO and have alot more potential in then than the conventional heads do.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  5pointslow January 13th 2010, 6:10 pm

whats the deal on the a460 heads valve shrouding ect....on my d1ve block with a .030 bore with a460 heads what head gasket would i use....considering its only a 4.390 not a real big bore
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  5pointslow January 13th 2010, 6:11 pm

for what im gonna do i think scjs or p51 would be fine but maybe im wrong, havnt got a cam yet either .....gotta call lem on that
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 January 13th 2010, 6:40 pm

Even with the shrouding the a heads have more potential and will go down the track faster IMO
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf January 13th 2010, 8:16 pm

dfree383 wrote:if your building a totaly new engine and don't have anything your reusing, A460 heads are a better bang for the $$$ IMO and have alot more potential in then than the conventional heads do.

Not to mention for those budget minded these pop up used all the time for a good price and would easily meet your goals.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans January 13th 2010, 8:25 pm

One's goals and budget dictate everything . One can spend a little to get lot or spend a lot to get very little . It's a matter of planing i.m.o.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jmayabb January 14th 2010, 10:21 am

5pointslow wrote:ive posted it several time gonna do a 545 hoppin 13.1 ish and hoppin to get car 9.00-9.50 in my mustang
this is gonna be a track only car with a glide

I would definitely go with the A460 heads on a 545. It should make around 900-950 HP.
jmayabb
jmayabb

http://www.joesraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down