BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bracket Camshaft ???'s

5 posters

Go down

Bracket Camshaft ???'s Empty Bracket Camshaft ???'s

Post  Tennessee Bullitt January 13th 2010, 9:48 pm

Ok here is what I have? I wanted to run by you guys to get some real world feed back. When would a single patter cam work for a engine setup? I made a slight change on my motor where I done away with N2o till I get a better block. I am looking for a good bracket setup. Would a cam like the comp 306 vs the Lunati 61643 be a better choice? My motor is the same.........

SCJ heads, mild bowl and cleanup work by me
13.33 compression
T/R with 2 holly carbs
521 cubes
No more than 6,800 rpms
Race fuel

Converter will be based on my camshaft. I wanted to hear from someone other than the cam companys.
Tennessee Bullitt
Tennessee Bullitt

Back to top Go down

Bracket Camshaft ???'s Empty Re: Bracket Camshaft ???'s

Post  IDT-572 January 13th 2010, 10:40 pm

Call Lem.
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs January 13th 2010, 10:42 pm

IDT-572 wrote:Call Lem.

Good advise, X2.
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 January 13th 2010, 10:44 pm

I've bracket raced with a bunch of different cams, seems to me the rest of the package matters more........traction, fuel type, transmission etc.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 January 13th 2010, 10:54 pm

Tennessee Bullitt wrote:Ok here is what I have? I wanted to run by you guys to get some real world feed back. When would a single patter cam work for a engine setup? I made a slight change on my motor where I done away with N2o till I get a better block. I am looking for a good bracket setup. Would a cam like the comp 306 vs the Lunati 61643 be a better choice? My motor is the same.........

SCJ heads, mild bowl and cleanup work by me
13.33 compression
T/R with 2 holly carbs
521 cubes
No more than 6,800 rpms
Race fuel

Converter will be based on my camshaft. I wanted to hear from someone other than the cam companys.

Is the T/R just for the wow factor, or are you thinking better for power?
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs January 13th 2010, 10:57 pm

Is the T/R just for the wow factor, or are you thinking better for power?

Good question. Not the ideal setup for a 521" bracket engine. Victor and a dommy would be more consistent.
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 January 13th 2010, 11:05 pm

T/R has its place, a good single 4 setup is easy, consistant, and fast.............although I hear some have good bracket success with 2 alky carbs.............single is just easier IMO.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 January 13th 2010, 11:19 pm

Everybody likes to do there own thing.......... He may already have the T/R. What you guys said was what I was going to say. A Victor with a single carb I think would make a better, cleaner package for the engine he is building. It takes a butt load of engine to max out a ported Victor and a 1250 4500 carb. JMHO
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Tennessee Bullitt January 13th 2010, 11:28 pm

The T/R has some wow factor, but mostly for power. I have tossed around the idea of a single plane setup, I hate doing last chance crap. I am just getting worried since all my build progress has evolved so far that now making more power and having lots of top notch parts with the price tag of everything, I don't wan't to destroy all from having a factory 2 bolt d1ve block, I don't have splaied caps or anything. Just a fresh block ready to go with main studs. I am saving for a A460 or a SCJ block later. I could not justify putting so much money I don't have in it. It's not so much I want a dedacated bracket motor it's if I run N/A if a different cam more sutied for bracket racing would be better to do bracket races if I go to them, along with running at our local street fights to see who has the baddest machine.
Tennessee Bullitt
Tennessee Bullitt

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs January 13th 2010, 11:40 pm

Make the call to Lem. He can custom design you a cam for little more than the two choices you mentioned. And his cam will outperform them both, hands down. Camshaft isn't the place to cheap out. I wouldn't sweat the two bolt block either. It will be fine.
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 January 14th 2010, 12:06 pm

I have a little more to say on this. If it's a bracket deal , have Lem grind you a cam buy a used 4500 victor and a used 1050 Holley if it's a trans break deal or a 4150 victor with a big 4150 Holley if it's a foot break. It will be a bunch easier to tune and be more consistent.
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug January 14th 2010, 12:17 pm

Bullit get with Lem and have him spec you out a Roller it will be more easy on springs and you do not have to break it in and Hope like hell it doesn't wipe the lobes..... He can build you one with not so much lift so it will not be a radical roller, you can find used Rollers here and there for around $150 and if you ever decide to upgrade you already have lifters.....

JMHO
Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down