BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

429 'Stock' Puller

+2
95lightiningguy
THE WOOD
6 posters

Go down

429 'Stock' Puller Empty 429 'Stock' Puller

Post  THE WOOD January 20th 2010, 6:35 pm

I was hoping to get your guy's opinions on a few things regarding the build that I'm going to start. Project: Driver/Occasional Tow Vehicle (close distances)/Occasional 'Stock' Pulling Truck. Here's what I have: 1970 429 going in a 75 Ford Crew Cab 4x4. I plan on using the stock bottom end. I know compression is going to be a little high, but for how much, I'll most likely really end up driving this truck, I'll deal with it. BUT, I have considered swapping pistons to get compression around 9:1 or so. As far as the bottom end goes, I planned on upgrading the rod bolts to ARP and possibly installing a HV oil pump and a windage tray, besides that, I plan on leaving it as is. I planned on having some port work done to the heads and possibly installing larger valves. The heads will be matched to the Performer RPM intake that I have. Carburetor is an 850 Race Demon. Headers are 2" primaries, 4" collectors. To pull in the 'stock' class, the engine has to pull 16-17" of vaccuum at idle so I will need a cam to achieve this. One cam that has been recommended is the VooDoo 61602. I would like to try and get to a 500 hp level, max rpm around 6,000 rpm's. Not sure if that is possible, but?? So my questions:

Besides what I listed (rod bolts, HV oil pump and windage tray) is there anything else that I should do to this bottom end?? Would a HV oil pump even be necessary?? Would spending the money on pistons to drop compression be worth the gains when driving it down the road??

Would larger valves benefit this engine, or would port work be enough for this build??

What are your guys opinions on this cam?? Are there any other suggestions on a cam to achieve what I need on this build??

Any other suggestions you guys may have?? I'm open to them, however, I'm trying to keep this build relatively cheap, and I don't want the truck to turn into something that is no longer driveable down the road, but I would like it to perform nicely when on the track.

Thanks for your input/suggestions!!
THE WOOD
THE WOOD

Back to top Go down

429 'Stock' Puller Empty Re: 429 'Stock' Puller

Post  95lightiningguy January 20th 2010, 8:32 pm

Not sure about everything else but I would find a 460 crankshaft, you can still use your rods and piston choices are alot better. Plus you get more cubes to play with. Just my 2 cents.
95lightiningguy
95lightiningguy

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty January 21st 2010, 9:39 am

I'd definately do the 3.85" crank and lose those heavy pistons. Yes port work on both sides of the heads will help a lot and make it more efficient to boot. Good luck Jamie, BTW I might go look at that ole CC in a day or two, I'l let you know. New paint on the puller is wicked cool. Laughing Cool
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  THE WOOD January 21st 2010, 10:02 am

Thanks for the info guys!! I have access to a couple 460 cranks so that is definately an upgrade that I could do. As far as pistons go, does anyone have any recommendations on what piston would best benefit this build?? Any suggestions on a cam??

Cool!! Let me know on the cc, and pictures are always good:)!! Thanks for the compliment on the puller!! (I think it turned out pretty good for a couple of drunk Bohemians doing it!!)
THE WOOD
THE WOOD

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 January 21st 2010, 10:18 am

If your going to lean on it I'd steer clear of the hypers and Cast Stuff, forged pistons are the way to go.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  THE WOOD January 21st 2010, 2:52 pm

Well, I really don't plan on babying it by any means. Is there a specific piston that would work good with this build to keep compressions in the 9:1-10:1 range?? Assuming that the heads/block are not milled/plained?? Just trying to get an idea of pieces I may use before I start putting together a solid parts list.

Back to the cam......does anyone have an opinion on one or is the one that I have listed a good viable candidate??

Thanks for the help guys!!
THE WOOD
THE WOOD

Back to top Go down

Post  cbsuperduty January 21st 2010, 4:29 pm

I got a Weiand Stealth intake that could be had for cheep... Don't know what other stocker parts that I have but you know that you are welcome to them.
cbsuperduty
cbsuperduty

http://yesdeeretruck.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 January 21st 2010, 5:38 pm

Speed pro makes a dished 460 piston that would work well for a reasonable $$ and Probe Pistons are a great bang for the buck also.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy January 21st 2010, 8:40 pm

Even with a 460 you're not gonna get there.
In order to make your horsepower goal you'll need a camshaft which will be "to big" to get the required 16" of vaccuum with that low of a compression ratio.
Over 500 lb/ft of torque is entirely possible though.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  THE WOOD January 22nd 2010, 9:59 am

I was kind of skeptical if 500 hp was achieveable with the limitations that I was putting on cam/compression. Torque is obviously good for what I'll be doing with it. Any guesses on what hp would be with the limitations I listed??
THE WOOD
THE WOOD

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down