BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DIVE 2 bolt main blocks/ Welding

5 posters

Go down

DIVE 2 bolt main blocks/ Welding Empty DIVE 2 bolt main blocks/ Welding

Post  Tore January 28th 2010, 3:17 pm

We all have talked about putting 4 bolt main caps on 2 bolt main blocks. Its kind of costly to have it done.
On the 2 bolt blocks you see how the web radiuses down and out to the edge of the pan rail. Has anyone ever thought about taking the block to a competent welder and have him raise the rails with weld where the outer bolts from the caps would fasten? Then machine it.I know cast iron is a bitch to weld but they have some good rod and techniques out there for welding cast? Open for discussion and opinions.

Thanks Tore
Tore
Tore

Back to top Go down

DIVE 2 bolt main blocks/ Welding Empty Re: DIVE 2 bolt main blocks/ Welding

Post  dfree383 January 28th 2010, 3:26 pm

To Expensive and Stresses the Base Metal, Not the best Idea IMO, Cheaper to just get a DOVE Block..............
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 January 28th 2010, 11:46 pm

you still have a weaker,thin web block too.i'd buy a new block,motorsport,eliminator,before i spent much on a stock block for 4 bolt swap.wish i'd got one anyway.you can spend more than you think on a stock block if it's a real high hp deal and wish you'd got a new one for another 6-800 bucks more.depends alot on what your doen with it.
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Tore January 29th 2010, 8:12 am

It was just an idea.
Tore
Tore

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 January 29th 2010, 10:06 am

Tore wrote:It was just an idea.

If their wasn't a large supply of factory and a selection of aftermarket blocks it may have some merrit, but with the formentioned its probably not viable. In alot of cases if you take a look at the best long term solution its sometimes better to spend a little upfront and get a better Piece rather than attempting to modify a production piece when the are excelent alternitives avaliable. but to each his own, some like to play around, others like to get to the point.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 January 29th 2010, 10:29 am

Didn't Paul Kane have a thread on the other site where he made shims to go under the outer edges and the block? I think they machined the edges flat to accept the shims.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Tore January 29th 2010, 11:28 am

I never saw that but that was a thought. I believe IDT-572 ( Blake ) mentioned he did that. But this was just a question I was tossing out thats all.

Thanks Tore
Tore
Tore

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Kane January 29th 2010, 4:41 pm

Tore wrote:We all have talked about putting 4 bolt main caps on 2 bolt main blocks. Its kind of costly to have it done.
On the 2 bolt blocks you see how the web radiuses down and out to the edge of the pan rail. Has anyone ever thought about taking the block to a competent welder and have him raise the rails with weld where the outer bolts from the caps would fasten? Then machine it.I know cast iron is a bitch to weld but they have some good rod and techniques out there for welding cast? Open for discussion and opinions.

Thanks Tore
Tore,

Blue Thunder and Programm main caps have a double-register that allows their caps to be fit to the standard webbing blocks which neck down next to the pan rail. That cast/unmachined area of the standard-webbed blocks is machined to accept the double-register cap's outter registers.

Or, if you want to install Milodon-style 4-bolt main caps (which are single-register caps intended for D0VE-A blocks), then you can do so using the method as shown HERE.

Paul
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

http://www.highflowdynamics.com

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 January 29th 2010, 10:26 pm

the only problem i had with that block was some cap walk,which is pritty normal for a 2 bolt when it spins high,but the biggest deal was the crack in the main webbing on #2 that went all the way to the cam.it was abused pritty bad for a long time and did'nt pop.i'm just thinken that a 4 bolt cap on a thin block is kinda like painting rust.
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down