BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A couple questions on water and fuel pumps

+2
bruno
torkair
6 posters

Go down

A couple questions on water and fuel pumps Empty A couple questions on water and fuel pumps

Post  torkair February 5th 2010, 1:11 am

I've pretty well settled on getting an electric water pump and fans for my build but I'm not too sure what particular brand to get. I'm also thinking about going with an electric fuel pump over a mechanical one but the trouble with replumbing the car and running the wires out back to it have got me a little sketchy as to which way to go and would like some input either way.

My build thus far (on paper)

1050 dommy
Victor (matched to heads)
d0ve heads (mild port work and CJ valves)
'79 block (.030 over)
stock crank (3.85 stroke)
Forged pistons with enough dish to get an 11:1 cr
Production rods
Solid roller cam Duration 274/280, Lift .650/.657 (open to suggestions here, but it's close to what I want)
1.73 Roller rockers (most likely scorpions)
long tube headers

My power goals are an honest 600 hp/tq but I figure once it's all together I've got what I've got. In the 1/4 I'm hoping for mid 11 second passes and should a road course open up out here I'd like to be able to hold my own there too. Thanks in advance for any input you guys can give me!!!
torkair
torkair

Back to top Go down

A couple questions on water and fuel pumps Empty Re: A couple questions on water and fuel pumps

Post  bruno July 28th 2010, 9:06 pm

Arrow

www.OakleyMotorsports.com
www.Induction-Solutions.com
www.bfevansraceparts.com
www.ultimateconverter.com
www.keithfulpmotorsports.com
bruno
bruno

http://WWW.CKRME.COM

Back to top Go down

A couple questions on water and fuel pumps Empty Re: A couple questions on water and fuel pumps

Post  kjett July 28th 2010, 9:37 pm

I'm assuming this is a track only car and not a street/strip deal, so keep that in mind on my suggestions. Just for info flat tops with valve notches with a zero decked block and those d0ve's will get you about 11.7:1. Wink Check the proven builds section for my "466 in a ranger" thread as my motor is very similar to what you are looking at and I more than met you 600hp goal. Now on to your questions. Stay far far away from the ebay crap called "ProComp Electronics"!!! You'll be glad you did. While I'm currently running a high flow aluminum mechanical pump with a Moroso pump drive kit, my next upgrade will be to a Mizere unit. I've never heard anything bad with them and a bunch of the guys I race against run them. As far as I know they've been holding up pretty well, even on mud trucks.

As for fuel, I went with an Aeromitive a2000. It's a bit much for my 466, but I'd rather have more than enough fuel available than not enough! My reasoning for that particular pump was the bypass style which allowed me to put a dead head regulator up front and only need to run 1 fuel line. Check this site for some hints on setting upo your fuel system:

http://www.centuryperformance.com/fuelish-tendencies-understanding-fuel-pressure-and-volume-spg-140.html
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  BigDave65 July 28th 2010, 9:46 pm

I like the Meziere water pump best, been using one for a long time. I believe the Aeromotive or Magnafuel fuel pumps are both pretty good. I use a mech. belt driven on my own car.
BigDave65
BigDave65

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 July 28th 2010, 10:24 pm

BigDave65 wrote:I like the Meziere water pump best, been using one for a long time. I believe the Aeromotive or Magnafuel fuel pumps are both pretty good. I use a mech. belt driven on my own car.

I use the same water pump..awesome piece. One thing on the MF pump.............even though its alky compatable, I would only use this pump with gas. I had the bearing seize only after a season of use.....had MF fix it..........sold pump to a local kid who runs both fuels..guess what? just had to stick another bearing in it after the seal leaked again and took it out. Honestly on a meth powered car a belt pump is king...............
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 July 28th 2010, 10:33 pm

i've used a few electric pumps and had good luck with all,even the little belt drive kind.i have a moroso now and it works fine.the fuel pump deal is so over rated it aint funny.i run a belt drive pump also but i've ran a lot of electric pumps too.the one i ran the most and liked for the$ was the old holley blue pump with a good regulator,not the holley.you dont need a bid 500gph,50amp drawen,wake up the neighbors kinda pump and a 1/2 line will do far more than you'll need.put a gauge where you can see it and you'll be happy.good luck Smile
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 July 28th 2010, 10:49 pm

I guess it depends on what you are tryin' to feed..........lol
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 July 28th 2010, 10:51 pm

richter69 wrote:I guess it depends on what you are tryin' to feed..........lol
he's got the spec's in his post. Smile
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 July 28th 2010, 10:54 pm

Mallory 140 work just fine...damn good electric pumps
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  kjett July 28th 2010, 10:55 pm

richter69 wrote:I guess it depends on what you are tryin' to feed..........lol

So true! Very Happy
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down