BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Popping from passenger side exhaust when first started

4 posters

Go down

Popping from passenger side exhaust when first started Empty Popping from passenger side exhaust when first started

Post  nuclearcobra February 9th 2010, 8:34 am

this is on my 302 with the kaase canted valve heads the last two times i started it it was popping like a fire cracker it seems like from just one cylinder then about 20 seconds it clears up and is fine. I'm wondering if its a sparkplug i have the autolite ar3934 gapped to 45. The reason i'm leaning towards the plug is it clears right up and is fine after that. i know on my yellow mustang with the 472 once in a while when it first starts after sitting for a while it seems lazy at first then clears up and sounds better and revs better so maybe its the same on the 302 o and it was in the low 30's out when started. Any other ideas ? maybe plug gap too big?
nuclearcobra
nuclearcobra
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Popping from passenger side exhaust when first started Empty Re: Popping from passenger side exhaust when first started

Post  cletus66 February 9th 2010, 10:43 pm

Maybe you fouled one out. It may clear up and idle fine, but when you put a load on it, it might start missing again at higher rpms. I have had this happen with resistor plugs.
cletus66
cletus66

Back to top Go down

Popping from passenger side exhaust when first started Empty Re: Popping from passenger side exhaust when first started

Post  paulie February 10th 2010, 1:19 am

I had a similar problem once it popped through the exaust until it started to warm up and it was a bad header gasket. once it started to warm up it sealed itself.

paulie

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 February 10th 2010, 8:20 am

Bad Plug? Valve Sticking?
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  nuclearcobra February 10th 2010, 8:48 am

Thanks for the replys i'll check the plugs as far as the gap .045 should be fine you think ? using all msd ignition.
nuclearcobra
nuclearcobra
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down