BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

junk 557 what now

+4
342g
bruno
Maddmattmustangs
jts557
8 posters

Go down

junk 557  what now Empty junk 557 what now

Post  jts557 March 4th 2010, 1:11 pm

well i just found out my 557 is toast it has a sand casting in the bore were water may have gotten in.the seat
pressure was to low causing the vale to float should have had longer valves and different springs .the balance
job was bad they swiss cheesed a new 4340 crank .the pistons are junk they milled them were the pins go
through .had 2 broken spring and some cracked keepers.the crank has 2 small longitudinal cracks on 3 and 6
rod jurnals .ring gaps were from 20 to 35. the crank is sprung 003. confused and i payed to have this motor
profesionaly built what a fricken joke.

anybody have a short block for sale.

jts557

Back to top Go down

junk 557  what now Empty Re: junk 557 what now

Post  Maddmattmustangs March 4th 2010, 1:14 pm

is there anything you can salvage out of the motor?

Im sorry to hear that man pale
Maddmattmustangs
Maddmattmustangs

Back to top Go down

Post  bruno March 4th 2010, 1:14 pm

WOW.... sorry to hear that

www.OakleyMotorsports.com
www.Induction-Solutions.com
www.bfevansraceparts.com
www.ultimateconverter.com
www.keithfulpmotorsports.com
bruno
bruno

http://WWW.CKRME.COM

Back to top Go down

Post  342g March 4th 2010, 1:44 pm

Jake, have you spoken to Leach yet? It will be interesting to hear what they have to say this time, we will find you something, I seen a 466 somewhere on here for sale, supposedly new, but, you know all about new motors. Mad
342g
342g
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jones March 4th 2010, 1:52 pm

That sucks man!

There was a 528cu engine for sale Wink

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 March 4th 2010, 2:04 pm

jts557 wrote:well i just found out my 557 is toast it has a sand casting in the bore were water may have gotten in.the seat
pressure was to low causing the vale to float should have had longer valves and different springs .the balance
job was bad they swiss cheesed a new 4340 crank .the pistons are junk they milled them were the pins go
through .had 2 broken spring and some cracked keepers.the crank has 2 small longitudinal cracks on 3 and 6
rod jurnals .ring gaps were from 20 to 35. the crank is sprung 003. confused and i payed to have this motor

You need to speak a little clearer and expain what you've found.

How about some pics and a slower more precise explination.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jts557 March 4th 2010, 2:15 pm

Im going over to pick the stuff up sat iwill see if i can post some pics. No harold i am never talking to him again
i wont bash anyone in public i will leave it at that.The heads are still good .the rockers stud gurdles pushrods
guess thats about it.I may put a 466 together with bluethunder heads i have a set of new pistons and rods
but those heads need some valves and springs .I have not figured out what to do yet.He said the crank may be
ok but they have so many holes in it and were they put the heavy metal he dont think they can balance it again.
Basicly he told me three things killed it valva float balance problem and the lack of priority oiling.

jts557

Back to top Go down

Post  Maddmattmustangs March 4th 2010, 2:18 pm

I read one of the other posts and he said it was a chevy engine builder...
Also said something about pistons smacking heads with some being in the whole and some out of the whole Shocked
warped block deck perhaps?

we had a block in my tech class that did the same thing and it had a badly warped deck caused a head gasket blow out right at the water jacket.
Maddmattmustangs
Maddmattmustangs

Back to top Go down

Post  jts557 March 4th 2010, 2:33 pm

No thhis motor was in three blocks.It wasnt warped the pistons were rocking in the bore hitting the heads

the bore is not round or straight.

jts557

Back to top Go down

Post  Maddmattmustangs March 4th 2010, 2:46 pm

ah i sees.

i will keep an eye out for a shortblock if i find one ill let you know.
Maddmattmustangs
Maddmattmustangs

Back to top Go down

Post  342g March 4th 2010, 2:53 pm

jts557 wrote:Im going over to pick the stuff up sat iwill see if i can post some pics. No harold i am never talking to him again
i wont bash anyone in public i will leave it at that.The heads are still good .the rockers stud gurdles pushrods
guess thats about it.I may put a 466 together with bluethunder heads i have a set of new pistons and rods
but those heads need some valves and springs .I have not figured out what to do yet.He said the crank may be
ok but they have so many holes in it and were they put the heavy metal he dont think they can balance it again.
Basicly he told me three things killed it valva float balance problem and the lack of priority oiling.

Jake, I got valves and springs, out of my d3 heads, they are still good, you are welcome to them cheers
342g
342g
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jones March 4th 2010, 3:15 pm

jts557 wrote:well i just found out my 557 is toast it has a sand casting in the bore were water may have gotten in.the seat

I'm not 100% sure I would use the crankshaft if it cracked.

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 March 4th 2010, 3:25 pm

What was the motor used for? How was it run and how long?
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jts557 March 4th 2010, 4:06 pm

Its been a on goin ordeal but they fixed everything at the end of last year and i put 18 i/8 mile pases
the seat pressure was 210 witch it has around a 810 lift cam trick flow ad says heads are good to 850
at that point they coil bind .it was a brand new 43040 crank what happened it broke a lifter at the last race
well after looking at things it had broken spring from valve float witch im sure is what broke the lifter .I was
told they did a valve job last time i ask why and was told just to make sure they were ok.The heads have about
70 1/8 mile passes on them .Its in a 4 link dragster witch would go hi 4.70s low 4.80s .
i paid for everything. every time i am frustrated to say the least.

jts557

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy March 4th 2010, 4:46 pm

A Chevy engine builder, unless he is an ALL brand builder and has been in this for a long time, will enevitably build it like a CHEVY; paying attention to what a CHEVY needs and likes. His mention of needing a "priority" oiling system shows that entirely.

All I can say is ... choose your builder wisely...!

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jts557 March 4th 2010, 5:02 pm

The guy that did it first never said anything about oiling the guy who took it apart said to bush one side of the lifter bores and restrict the other side i think.I cchecked the lifters there is no way to put them in backwards
they have a oil hole on both sides above were the oil feeds. thanks guys

he actualy said he wouldnt put it back together without using a aftermarket block.

jts557

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 March 4th 2010, 5:09 pm

jts557 wrote:The guy that did it first never said anything about oiling the guy who took it apart said to bush one side of the lifter bores and restrict the other side i think.I cchecked the lifters there is no way to put them in backwards
they have a oil hole on both sides above were the oil feeds. thanks guys

he actualy said he wouldnt put it back together without using a aftermarket block.

First off yes their is a right way and a wrong way. You will get to much oil to the top of the motor putting the link bars to the bach towards the block. Again need pics and part numbers not "He Said" "I Looks to Me" or "I Think" Please. You Could Have the wrong part number.

Honestly You need to fine a competent engine builder let them do your motor work, follow the maintence instructions to a T and go race...... When it Breaks pay him to fix it and go back racing..... No Problems, No Bitching, Just Racing........
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon March 5th 2010, 10:55 pm

I hate to see anyone have these problems Sad but if someone did me this way 3 times ,it would'nt bother me to Bash him in public.
The engine i'm building for a forum member was first assembled by a (supposedly pro engine shop in Columbus Oh). When he took it to them he specifically told them that he had problems w/rear cam bearing. They built the engine for him. He showed up at the Bash last year and the Cam broke into in the staging lanes. After taking intake off to inspect. He found that they had fixed the cam bearing by NOT INSTALLING BEARING IN BLOCK AT ALL Shocked As I was putting the engine back together for him . I found lots of screwups. The rod bearings had only .0015 clearanes.mains had .0018 affraid The retainers were hitting the rockers. So know the builder and his work before investing your money.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down