BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recommend some machine work..BBF Newb

5 posters

Go down

Recommend some machine work..BBF Newb Empty Recommend some machine work..BBF Newb

Post  O-Deuce Coupe March 9th 2010, 8:14 pm

I just finished tearing my builder D1VE down and cleaned it up to get it ready for the machine shop. I planned to have the standard stuff done, nothing fancy. Here's what I was gonna have him do (he's competent I've used him before no probs):
-Cam bearings and freeze plugs
-Bored however much it needs
-fluxed and tanked
-I was gonna do the usual casting clean-up and smoothed oil returns myself
-I'll have him put the plates on it for a hone once I get my pistons/crank/rods picked out
I'm shooting for high 6's low 7's with a 3200lb Mustang running street trophy brackets, 4.10's and 28" ET Streets. I'm not exactly sure what kinda power I'd need but I'm thinking it needs to be around 500hp. With a 28" tire, 4.10's and a C6 I think it'll get spun up to 6500 rpms if I decided to run 1/4mi now and again.
What do you guys recommend I also get done at this kinda power level? Is a block fill needed? Align hone? Suggestions for BBF specific needs?

O-Deuce Coupe

Back to top Go down

Recommend some machine work..BBF Newb Empty Re: Recommend some machine work..BBF Newb

Post  bbf-falcon March 10th 2010, 9:38 am

It all depends how far you bore the block imo as to if it needs filled..080/yes .030/no. And a good set of Lem's cheap SCJ Alum. heads would be a cheap route,being that you don't have your pistons ordered yet. It won't take much to put you in the 500hp range. Instead of wasting alot on exotic parts. Keep it simple w/good oil pan,good ign.,good carb etc. Smile Call Lem or Blake about a Camshaft.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Recommend some machine work..BBF Newb Empty Re: Recommend some machine work..BBF Newb

Post  56Tbird March 10th 2010, 9:51 am

If your going to spin it over 6200 ,put aftermarket rods in it.
56Tbird
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 March 10th 2010, 9:55 am

56Tbird wrote:If your going to spin it over 6200 ,put aftermarket rods in it.

Set of Scat 6.605 H beams and some Probe FT's are Hard to beat budget vs durability.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper March 10th 2010, 11:19 am

I would call or email one of the many BBF engine guru's on here before I decided anything about the rpms it turns, what type of parts, and so on.

A local bracket guy here runs a stock block, crank, rods, je slugs, some used scj heads, vic sr intake, and a decent carb. He runs 6.70's and was built about 4 years ago and the only thing that he has done is change the oil. He got his info from reincarnation, I think.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  O-Deuce Coupe March 10th 2010, 5:53 pm

I've already talked with Lem via PM and I'm still deciding on the SCJ heads. My budget got ate up with some important schooling/certifications for my career, so I'm still researching what combo is gonna get me where I want and what it's gonna cost. I desperately wanna be running this summer but I just don't think it's gonna happen. I'm waiting on some parts to sell and then I'll see what can be done.

O-Deuce Coupe

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon March 10th 2010, 10:08 pm

Good luck, We are here if u need us Wink

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down