BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Parts washer

+3
jbozzelle
longroofracer
jones
7 posters

Go down

Parts washer Empty Parts washer

Post  jones March 22nd 2010, 9:01 am

Can someone tell me a good place to find a parts washer and chemicals? I'd like to have a heated but I think that might cost to much. I have looked at some real cheap ones but they just seem too cheap to take-up room in my shop.

jones

Back to top Go down

Parts washer Empty Re: Parts washer

Post  longroofracer March 22nd 2010, 10:10 am

I have a 20 gallon one I bought at Harbor Freight some 6+ years ago. It easily holds one cylinder head, maybe 2 at a time if you are only soaking them. I rarely clean it out on a regular basis, and have not had any pump problems, but it still keeps working when I need it. Mineral Spirits is a good cleaner, but expensive if you aren't careful about cleaning big chunks off before you drop stuff in. I have used Purple Power in mine and it works good, but you really need to use gloves with it! There is also some stuff called "Awesome Cleaner" available at the local dollar stores in a 1/2 gallon container that works very well. I use it very often, and seems to hold up fairly well. Whatever cleaner you buy, get it in as large a container as possible to save money, and save the container so you can drain it back out for cleaning purposes.

I normally run about 10-12 gallons in mine, but have a couple big chunks of steel in the bottom to displace some volume and raise the level. Harbor freight typically runs sales on them every couple weeks and you can save 30-50% when they are are sale. I think mine was around $69 on sale.

This is a current ad for one like mine...
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=7340
longroofracer
longroofracer

Back to top Go down

Post  jones March 22nd 2010, 10:52 am

I have seen those before and might be what I end-up getting. I would like a little nicer one though with the heater and light maybe.

I thought we had someone on the website that sold these types of items.

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle March 22nd 2010, 3:40 pm

I think Craig Sullivan sells some washers.

I'd think twice about having mineral spirits in the garage like that. I've also heard good things about the all natural based cleaners. They are not flammable and do not stink the place up.

Is your water heater in your garage? If so, is it gas?

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  jones March 22nd 2010, 5:06 pm

jbozzelle wrote:I think Craig Sullivan sells some washers.

I'd think twice about having mineral spirits in the garage like that. I've also heard good things about the all natural based cleaners. They are not flammable and do not stink the place up.

No water heater in my garage, but I enjoy welding and grinding!

It looks like I'll just get my bro to pick-up a washer from HF this week. I probably want to go solvent base since from what I have read that the "water base cleaners work just as good with a heated parts washer". Yet I don't want to worry about starting fires in my shop and burning down the house.

Would Hydroseal II work in a parts washer?

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  138 March 22nd 2010, 5:42 pm

the harbor freight units dont have the brush that flow solvent I dont think... and they are a nice option. sometimes the good ones pop up on craigslist from time to time...

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs March 22nd 2010, 6:05 pm

138 wrote:the harbor freight units dont have the brush that flow solvent I dont think... and they are a nice option. sometimes the good ones pop up on craigslist from time to time...

You can add the flow through brush for very little additional cost. That's what I did, got it from my local Carquest.
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  longroofracer March 23rd 2010, 12:18 am

jbozzelle wrote:I think Craig Sullivan sells some washers.

True, it does smell, and there is a real safety issue.
longroofracer
longroofracer

Back to top Go down

Post  jones March 23rd 2010, 8:58 am

I found the company safety-Kleen, I'm going to call and see if they have any thing cheap.

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  138 March 23rd 2010, 9:32 am

industrial companys like that are usually far from cheap...but you never know you might get lucky
I found this unit for 100.00 dollars on craigslist

Parts washer S6300120l

Back to top Go down

Post  Treeyasoon March 23rd 2010, 9:51 am

I've had this one for about 10 years or so...no problems. It isn't heated and doesn't have a light though. But, you guys have me a little concerned about the whole mineral spirits thing, as this is what I have always used. Are the vapors flammable or something?

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tools/parts-washers-accessories/black-bull-parts-washer-with-stand-20-gal--3893999
Treeyasoon
Treeyasoon

Back to top Go down

Post  56Tbird March 23rd 2010, 10:06 am

I've had mineral spirits in mine for 20+ years ,no vapor problems as long as you close it after use. I cut and weld ,grind basically everyday. I may blow myself up tomorrow ,but I've never had a problem and know a lot of shops with them too.
56Tbird
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down