BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

drag racing

+11
the1969fordguyinky
simpleman
Curt
f250mike
342g
BIGDOG466
bbf-falcon
richter69
ThndrChkn
cool40
fatal addiction
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

drag racing Empty drag racing

Post  fatal addiction April 4th 2010, 10:42 am

i've been kicking around to build a drag car what kind of money does it pay'' if u do good of course'' what class would be best for me to start out in .what kind of chassis cert would i need..i'd be building a all tube chassis not sure what body yeaht.. with 605 c-headed motor...i know i'm sure ya'll need to know more but like i said just been kicking around the idea...thanks
fatal addiction
fatal addiction

Back to top Go down

drag racing Empty Re: drag racing

Post  cool40 April 4th 2010, 10:53 am

what it pays dont come close to what it cost's,if you do good.
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn April 4th 2010, 10:59 am

cool40 wrote:what it pays dont come close to what it cost's,if you do good.

X2 on that right there. Very Happy

Doug... Cool
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  fatal addiction April 4th 2010, 11:02 am

cool40 wrote:what it pays dont come close to what it cost's,if you do good.
yeah i already knew that but drag racing does pay back money right?? no sport pays what it should but it is nice to know if u have a shot @ least paying for entry fee's.LOL so what class would be good for me to start in? thanks
fatal addiction
fatal addiction

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 April 4th 2010, 11:11 am

Depends on what is in your local area. Where I'm at there is a wide variety, from bracket racing to headsup small and big tire classes, to index classes.

A C-headed chassis car around here would be a good super pro car if its a n/a deal, you could run some of the heads up classes if you have a power adder of sorts.

If you can only afford to do it counting on some sort of winnings every time then sell it and get a bassboat. If your building it to have fun and any winnings are just icing on the cake then so be it.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 April 4th 2010, 11:14 am

it depends on what you have goen on in your area.we have the usual pro and footbrake stuff here.the pro is tuff to win cuz of all the electronics.i like footbrake best but thats just me.most tracks will pay 1000$ in pro and 500 footbrake.that aint bad but you do spend entry fee,maybe a buy back,fuel and it goes on and on.i never spend less than 100$ for t/t,which i do most Laughing
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  fatal addiction April 4th 2010, 11:52 am

well i'ts not like i want to get rich, i have just heard bad storys about drag racing that their is no payback no i'll never get a bassboat LOL i've been mud racing since i was 16 and i've never sold my ride might of took a few weekends off but thats about it. i would be racing @ miland mich. and norwalk,oh and i'm sure i would venture to a few other places..thanks
fatal addiction
fatal addiction

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon April 4th 2010, 11:57 am

If you are worried about the winnings,don't bother. imo. Sorry

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  BIGDOG466 April 4th 2010, 11:57 am

Well, bracket racing around here pays 1200 to 2000 to win in Super Pro (electronics class) which I run. My car won enough last year to buy a complete glide set-up and just about broke even for the year and I made over 300 passes. Most I have ever won in one year was 16K Very Happy most of the time is in the 5K range. This year I feel like I have the most consistant package I have ever had so I expect a good year if the driver can get his head out of his azzzzzzzzz lol! I know some two guys in my area won over 50K ea two years ago. Shocked
BIGDOG466
BIGDOG466

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 April 4th 2010, 12:04 pm

I won enough last year to cover entry, fuel for the tow rig, and fuel for the car.............not much but had fun doing it lol.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  fatal addiction April 4th 2010, 12:09 pm

richter69 wrote:I won enough last year to cover entry, fuel for the tow rig, and fuel for the car.............not much but had fun doing it lol.
now thats not a bad year of racing Smile if the year goes like that it makes it alot more fun Cool
fatal addiction
fatal addiction

Back to top Go down

Post  fatal addiction April 4th 2010, 12:10 pm

so who all races @ miland or norwalk. thats on here.
fatal addiction
fatal addiction

Back to top Go down

Post  342g April 4th 2010, 12:31 pm

[quote="BIGDOG466"]Well, bracket racing around here pays 1200 to 2000 to win in Super Pro (electronics class) which I run. My car won enough last year to buy a complete glide set-up and just about broke even for the year and I made over 300 passes. Most I have ever won in one year was 16K Very Happy most of the time is in the 5K range. This year I feel like I have the most consistant package I have ever had so I expect a good year if the driver can get his head out of his azzzzzzzzz lol! I know some two guys in my area won over 50K ea two years ago. Shocked[/quo

Was one in a regal, the other in a wagon?
342g
342g
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  f250mike April 4th 2010, 1:04 pm

Hey Eric, Iv'e seen you race a few times. That BBF would be sweet on the 1/4 mile.
Last july was my last mud race and then we switched the truck to 2wd. In september I had a chance to make a few 1/4 mile passes.
There are a few mudracers switching to the drag strip in my area.
f250mike
f250mike

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt April 4th 2010, 1:06 pm

I have profited as much as $60k in a year. But that is out every weekend, major sponsorship and being on the road more than home. I haven't done that well every year, and have not even attempted it in several years. June of '99 I destroyed 2 motors in 14 days, about a $20k loss for the month. You probably won't even break even if you're asking what class you need to race or not even sure of the type of chassis. I say this only because you would need a lot of seat time and a perfectly set up car to beat most anyone at Norwalk. If you desire to go fast, at least build a chassis that will handle pretty much what ever you throw at it. Of course, that type of chassis is expensive, but makes a very nice looking foot brake car. You can always build more motor or add a power adder, but you can't always get the chassis to certify for a faster class unless thats how you start or add a lot later.
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  BIGDOG466 April 4th 2010, 1:19 pm

[quote="342g"]
BIGDOG466 wrote:Well, bracket racing around here pays 1200 to 2000 to win in Super Pro (electronics class) which I run. My car won enough last year to buy a complete glide set-up and just about broke even for the year and I made over 300 passes. Most I have ever won in one year was 16K Very Happy most of the time is in the 5K range. This year I feel like I have the most consistant package I have ever had so I expect a good year if the driver can get his head out of his azzzzzzzzz lol! I know some two guys in my area won over 50K ea two years ago. Shocked[/quo

Was one in a regal, the other in a wagon?

Yep!! You guessed it
BIGDOG466
BIGDOG466

Back to top Go down

Post  342g April 4th 2010, 1:51 pm

Thought so.
342g
342g
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  fatal addiction April 4th 2010, 2:00 pm

Curt wrote:I have profited as much as $60k in a year. But that is out every weekend, major sponsorship and being on the road more than home. I haven't done that well every year, and have not even attempted it in several years. June of '99 I destroyed 2 motors in 14 days, about a $20k loss for the month. You probably won't even break even if you're asking what class you need to race or not even sure of the type of chassis. I say this only because you would need a lot of seat time and a perfectly set up car to beat most anyone at Norwalk. If you desire to go fast, at least build a chassis that will handle pretty much what ever you throw at it. Of course, that type of chassis is expensive, but makes a very nice looking foot brake car. You can always build more motor or add a power adder, but you can't always get the chassis to certify for a faster class unless thats how you start or add a lot later.
thats why i'm asking all the questions it's not something i'm going to start building tommorrow i'm going to spend some time @ the race track this year and make sure it's even what i want to do. thanks alot guys
fatal addiction
fatal addiction

Back to top Go down

Post  BIGDOG466 April 4th 2010, 2:25 pm

Just one big thing to remember. If you are bracket racing just be consistant on the lights and the car. That is it!!!!!! That wins races Very Happy I can't afford to build a fast car but in bracket racing I can compete with the guys that do and it makes you feel real good at the end of the day and all of them have been loaded and your still racing Very Happy
BIGDOG466
BIGDOG466

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon April 4th 2010, 2:45 pm

I have done well through the years in (NO Box) class. Thats where my heart is. But this year will be a new adventure in the Box class w/delay box and all the other bells/whistles. The next thing I will purchase will be a practice tree.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  BIGDOG466 April 4th 2010, 3:24 pm

bbf-falcon wrote:I have done well through the years in (NO Box) class. Thats where my heart is. But this year will be a new adventure in the Box class w/delay box and all the other bells/whistles. The next thing I will purchase will be a practice tree.

It will help you allot. Been on mine for 45min today.
BIGDOG466
BIGDOG466

Back to top Go down

Post  342g April 4th 2010, 3:43 pm

bbf-falcon wrote:I have done well through the years in (NO Box) class. Thats where my heart is. But this year will be a new adventure in the Box class w/delay box and all the other bells/whistles. The next thing I will purchase will be a practice tree.

You just come over here, you will get all the practice you need big boy, that tree won't help you a bit, if your car is not consistent, put the biggest tires you can cram under that little yellow bird, cut back on the power, you will be fine.
342g
342g
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  BIGDOG466 April 4th 2010, 4:27 pm

342g wrote:

You just come over here, you will get all the practice you need big boy, that tree won't help you a bit, if your car is not consistent, put the biggest tires you can cram under that little yellow bird, cut back on the power, you will be fine.

lol! lol!
BIGDOG466
BIGDOG466

Back to top Go down

Post  simpleman April 5th 2010, 11:12 am

fatal addiction wrote:i've been kicking around to build a drag car what kind of money does it pay'' if u do good of course'' what class would be best for me to start out in .what kind of chassis cert would i need..i'd be building a all tube chassis not sure what body yeaht.. with 605 c-headed motor...i know i'm sure ya'll need to know more but like i said just been kicking around the idea...thanks

What, the ol' single lane timed dirt trials got you in the mully grubs? Razz
simpleman
simpleman

Back to top Go down

Post  the1969fordguyinky April 6th 2010, 3:22 pm

Get out there and run the footbrake class (PRO) in whatever kind of car you can. I've seen a rental Taurus win $1000 at a race. I know you gotta have a car, but the driver is 99% of a bracket race.
If you turn out to be decent at it then step up to faster stuff.
the1969fordguyinky
the1969fordguyinky

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next