BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question for Adney Brown

5 posters

Go down

Question for Adney Brown Empty Question for Adney Brown

Post  hpwdboss1 April 13th 2010, 10:00 pm

Was just watching my 2007 Tech DVD and caught something that applies to what I worked on today. You were talking about straightening shafts (cam and crank).
I have a 2 3/4" axle shaft made of 4140 steel. It will go in my tractor rear. The first one I was able to modify and have finished, but this one has about .030 run out at the center where the bearing sets. The finished surface on the outer length is indicating the high point is about centered in the shaft, but the rest of the shaft is unfinished, so I'm unable to prove exactly where that point is. In the video you were peening shafts to straighten them. Seems like a stupid question, but which side(low or hi) were you peening to move the shaft? I have been unable to move this at all in a good press, so I need to do something else or buy a different shaft. Any good idea's? Thanks.
Perry Hanlin
hpwdboss1
hpwdboss1

Back to top Go down

Question for Adney Brown Empty Re: Question for Adney Brown

Post  chuck stevens April 14th 2010, 12:43 pm

Although it seems counter intuitive, you apply the piening to the LOW side. As the HIGH side is longer...you are stretching the short (low) side to make it longer and, therefore, match the HIGH side. Cool

chuck stevens

http://E-MAIL= stevensracingent@aol.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle April 14th 2010, 8:38 pm

Pretty interesting... So you want to peen it until you actually make a dent or dimple in it?

Does it actually make it longer overall to a point where it's actually noticeable or measureable?

I've seen guys peen cranks in old diesels (large CID, slow speed) while they are still in the blocks. They use peening and heat...

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Question for Adney Brown Empty Re: Q for Adney

Post  hpwdboss1 April 15th 2010, 11:39 am

Thanks Chuck. I kinda' gathered that was what Adney was saying, but I thought I'd get the question out where someone could confirm / deny the thought. This forum is great stuff!
Thanks again.
Perry Hanlin
hpwdboss1
hpwdboss1

Back to top Go down

Post  D. Sea April 15th 2010, 12:12 pm

I sent Adney a message, maybe he'll chime in.

Glad the Tech Seminar DVD helped. Lots of valuable information Idea
D. Sea
D. Sea

Back to top Go down

Question for Adney Brown Empty good question

Post  performance crankshaftinc April 16th 2010, 10:04 pm

Obviously it came from the factory that way , if the flange where it meets the hub has no runout , and the splined area has no run out then it must have come through that way .. if you are resplining it , then yes you better look for a different shaft .. as far as peening , if you could peen it straight then the flange would have runout ,.. find a new one .. if the flange has runout now , then practice your peening skills by starting on the low side ..........

performance crankshaftinc

Back to top Go down

Question for Adney Brown Empty AND BY THE WAY , I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO THE BASH .........

Post  performance crankshaftinc April 16th 2010, 10:07 pm

YES I AM ........

performance crankshaftinc

Back to top Go down

Question for Adney Brown Empty Thanks to MR Brown

Post  hpwdboss1 April 18th 2010, 5:55 pm

The hub has runout as it is, so I think the shaft was bent. However, I have worked on it and was able to get it to move back toward straight, but never got it there. So I now have two different axles to start on monday AM. One of them will surely be straight! Thanks for the help, got to get back on the milling machine, season starts soon!
Thanks again!
Perry
hpwdboss1
hpwdboss1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down