BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Importing a vehicle into canada

4 posters

Go down

Importing a vehicle into canada Empty Importing a vehicle into canada

Post  jasonf April 14th 2010, 2:47 pm

Has anybody ever imported a vehicle into Canada? It never used to be such a big deal but my brother is telling me you can only import stock vehicles and they have to be inspected at Crappy Tire. I know people brings cars across all the time so can someone offer some advice please. I know Franks buddy just bought Kaase's Mustang last year and that thing sure wasn't stock.

Thanks,
Jason
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Importing a vehicle into canada Empty Re: Importing a vehicle into canada

Post  the Coug April 14th 2010, 4:29 pm

send it up to Doug he has a repour with the boarder guy's he would be happy to go see them again maybe this time they will strip search him....... Laughing

Sorry Doug you had it coming.....

Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori April 14th 2010, 6:09 pm

jasonf wrote:Has anybody ever imported a vehicle into Canada? It never used to be such a big deal but my brother is telling me you can only import stock vehicles and they have to be inspected at Crappy Tire. I know people brings cars across all the time so can someone offer some advice please. I know Franks buddy just bought Kaase's Mustang last year and that thing sure wasn't stock.

Thanks,
Jason

I have imported a trailer and have a few buddies who have imported cars.

You need to let US Customs know the car is going to be exported a few days ahead of time. They will need the title and your info. Then you MUST stop on the US side and go into US Customs, they get real pissy if you don't Wink . Then you get to talk to the Canadian Customs folks, they want money. Taxes to be specific. Then you have a number of days to get it inspected by your Crappy Tire store, safetied and E-Tested (if needed) and then get the ownership.

They want the speedo changed to KPH primary but I have known some that didn't do it. The thing will show up as having the odometer tampered with if you don't. Daytime running lights, some child restraint stuff may be required as well.

It is getting to be a good deal now with the $$'s on par now.

It would be worth it to call Customs on both sides of the border in case there have been any changes.

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf April 14th 2010, 7:20 pm

billandlori wrote:
I have imported a trailer and have a few buddies who have imported cars.

You need to let US Customs know the car is going to be exported a few days ahead of time. They will need the title and your info. Then you MUST stop on the US side and go into US Customs, they get real pissy if you don't Wink . Then you get to talk to the Canadian Customs folks, they want money. Taxes to be specific. Then you have a number of days to get it inspected by your Crappy Tire store, safetied and E-Tested (if needed) and then get the ownership.

They want the speedo changed to KPH primary but I have known some that didn't do it. The thing will show up as having the odometer tampered with if you don't. Daytime running lights, some child restraint stuff may be required as well.

It is getting to be a good deal now with the $$'s on par now.

It would be worth it to call Customs on both sides of the border in case there have been any changes.

Bill

Well that is the way it used to be but my brother was saying that you have to pay for a federal inspection at the border then you have 30 days to take it to crappy tire for the inspection. Crappy tire will not certify any vehicle that has any changes to the suspension so you have to change it back to stock first. It kind of defeats the whole purpose of buying a vehicle in the US in the first place. There is a fellow my brothers knows with a lifted 4x4 that he bought and can not get an inspection now so basically he has a truck he can't drive. They were in Sask so they brought it Alberta but could not get it certified there either.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  meteor545 April 14th 2010, 8:50 pm

why canadian tire? those monkeys are the worst mechanics on earth.

meteor545

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori April 14th 2010, 9:02 pm

meteor545 wrote:why canadian tire? those monkeys are the worst mechanics on earth.

Yep, they sure are. It is some deal they worked out with the guvmint.

My uncle bought a beauty conversion van in MI and can't get it into Canada because the company that did the conversion isn't listed as one of the "approved" customizers. BS if you ask me.

It seems f'ed up for CTC to not approve the car, they only need to worry about Canada specific stuff like daytime running lights and the speedo, etc. They are not doing the safety inspection. Maybe he needs to get to know one of the techs at CTC!!

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  meteor545 April 14th 2010, 9:09 pm

what if he orders a spare tire cover from an "aproved" conversion company and lets thier stupidity take it from there.

meteor545

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf April 14th 2010, 9:14 pm

Well the problem is my brother is looking at buying a lifted jeep. What a joke that CTC is in charge of inspections. I would be hard pressed to get a flat tire fixed there.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori April 14th 2010, 9:27 pm

meteor545 wrote:what if he orders a spare tire cover from an "aproved" conversion company and lets thier stupidity take it from there.

Now that just might work!!

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori April 14th 2010, 9:30 pm

jasonf wrote:Well the problem is my brother is looking at buying a lifted jeep. What a joke that CTC is in charge of inspections. I would be hard pressed to get a flat tire fixed there.

Maybe he should just tell them its a new "Super Duper Off Road Package" that Jeep is offering, even better than the Rubicon!!!

Its amazing that common sense never enters a CTC shop floor, as long as they are brand name suspension products and not some hacked together deal it should be just fine.

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down