BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

alrighty boys another valve train question

+12
bruno
lghting94
rmcomprandy
Maddmattmustangs
bb429power
bbf-falcon
schmitty
bigblockfox468
Lem Evans
Nevs
c.evans
fatal addiction
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

alrighty boys another valve train question Empty alrighty boys another valve train question

Post  fatal addiction May 11th 2010, 5:16 pm

i'm upgrading to .937 lifters. is it better to bush the block or just have the holes reamed out to the new size lifters and not put bronze bushings in them? i guess my question is what are the cons to lifter bushings? ''man i might have to change my avatar when i ask a question so u guys can consentrate Smile Laughing Very Happy Cool Cool '' i have to agree it's nice isn't it.. just hope my wife don't never get on here she would be pissed if she knows i posted a pic of her on the internet Twisted Evil Twisted Evil thanks eric
fatal addiction
fatal addiction

Back to top Go down

alrighty boys another valve train question Empty Re: alrighty boys another valve train question

Post  c.evans May 11th 2010, 7:12 pm

I don't know of any "cons" to bronze lifter bushings. They make for a very nice wear surface, kinda' like bronze guides in alum. heads do.

Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

alrighty boys another valve train question Empty Re: alrighty boys another valve train question

Post  Nevs May 11th 2010, 7:34 pm

If that's your wife, we need a better picture........ Idea Laughing Wink
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  fatal addiction May 11th 2010, 8:44 pm

now,now i don't want to get u in trouble too Very Happy Laughing Laughing
fatal addiction
fatal addiction

Back to top Go down

Post  fatal addiction May 11th 2010, 8:45 pm

thanks charlie. thats kind of what i thought.. i'm thinking about going with the jessel keyway lifters, with a bonze bushing...thanks again eric
fatal addiction
fatal addiction

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans May 11th 2010, 8:47 pm

Shocked Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes alien cat monkey pig tongue Twisted Evil Idea

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs May 11th 2010, 9:15 pm

now,now i don't want to get u in trouble too
Very Happy Laughing Laughing

I'll take my chances....... Wink Laughing Laughing
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bigblockfox468 May 11th 2010, 9:30 pm

Ummm there was a question scratch All I see is nice dupa Shocked
bigblockfox468
bigblockfox468
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty May 11th 2010, 9:31 pm

Yep Ole Nevs is a risk taker, he rode to Terre Haute with me. I hope he forgot about that little red light running incident. Laughing
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon May 11th 2010, 9:36 pm

Lem,Lem, Lem, you have such a way w/words Cool Laughing bounce Embarassed Shocked

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power May 11th 2010, 9:40 pm

He's been hanging out with the pizza molester/head fingerer/colenal kisser too much. What a Face
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans May 11th 2010, 11:14 pm

Guys,

How come I was the only one who was serious enough to answer the man's question,,,,,and not go tripping out over that nice motorcycle Question

Eric,

I am sorry, but I do NOT believe she is your wife. You will have to bring her to the Ford Bash in order to prove it to me Exclamation

Uncle Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Maddmattmustangs May 11th 2010, 11:38 pm

Id like to say that my fiancees backside looks rather nice like that Very Happy
she wants to pose on my car in a bikini when i get it running again and polish it up cheers

anyway not trying to highjack but what purpose does a larger diameter lifter serve? better contact with aggressive "tombstone" lobes and Better strength with ultra heavy spring pressures?
Maddmattmustangs
Maddmattmustangs

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy May 11th 2010, 11:39 pm

Using lifter bushings in a production block without enlarging the main oil gallery can result in oil starvation to the bearings at higher RPM; especially a bushing with a 1" O.D.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fatal addiction May 12th 2010, 9:22 am

Using lifter bushings in a production block without enlarging the main oil gallery can result in oil starvation to the bearings at higher RPM; especially a bushing with a 1" O.D.

so whats the fix for this.. yeah i'm runnin a really heavy duty spring and a 1'' lift cam. i had the intake off plumbing up a fogger and noticed that one of the lifter holes is really wore badly so i just figured i'd bush them and up grade to a better lifter now. and no it's not my wife she has a pretty nice back side also but she would absolutely cut my balls off she ever found out i put a pic of her on the net. affraid affraid affraid thanks eric
fatal addiction
fatal addiction

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy May 12th 2010, 11:04 am

You'll need to spend a 100 or so dollars on a 24" long, 5/8" drill bit or piloted reamer.
Enlsrge the main oil gallery, (passenger side), to 5/8" before installing the bushings or get an aftermarket block with priority main oiling.

If you keep the engine below 6,500 RPM or so, you probably won't have a problem.

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  lghting94 May 12th 2010, 11:22 am

Can you not just re-drill the oil passage after the bushings are installed and before final honing for size?
lghting94
lghting94

Back to top Go down

Post  fatal addiction May 12th 2010, 1:58 pm

You'll need to spend a 100 or so dollars on a 24" long, 5/8" drill bit or piloted reamer.
Enlsrge the main oil gallery, (passenger side), to 5/8" before installing the bushings or get an aftermarket block with priority main oiling.

If you keep the engine below 6,500 RPM or so, you probably won't have a problem.

does a a-460 block need to have the drilling done? i turn it 7200. i found a few issues with the fuel system i'm hoping to get another 1000 rpm out of it. i guess i find out when i get it on the dyno?
fatal addiction
fatal addiction

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs May 12th 2010, 2:05 pm

A460 block has priority main oiling. Not sure if it needs to be drilled or not, I don't remember the main oil gallery size in the A460, maybe someone else does.
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bruno May 12th 2010, 2:14 pm

old but good info VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

http://www.network54.com/Forum/85220/message/1100819550/oil+restricktors

http://www.network54.com/Forum/85220/thread/1110222628/A460+Block%2C+need+help

www.OakleyMotorsports.com
www.Induction-Solutions.com
www.bfevansraceparts.com
www.ultimateconverter.com
www.keithfulpmotorsports.com
bruno
bruno

http://WWW.CKRME.COM

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy May 12th 2010, 9:54 pm

On an OEM production block the passenger side lifter gallery also serves to be the main oil gallery; On an A460 block or IDT block it does not. The lifter galleries and main oil gallery are seperate galleries.

When installing lifter bushings they will intrude in the oil gallery almost half way and block half that gallery. There is no point of using bushings to restrict oil flow to the top end on a Production block if you simply drill them away in the middle of them as if no bushings were there...?

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  PROSTREET66 May 13th 2010, 10:22 am

Let us know how that gallery drilling goes................just be careful and don't tear the lace!!!!!!!!!!!!Good luck Eric
PROSTREET66
PROSTREET66

Back to top Go down

Post  fatal addiction May 13th 2010, 11:35 am

Let us know how that gallery drilling goes................just be careful and don't tear the lace!!!!!!!!!!!!Good luck Eric

im going to just take the block up to tico racing in michigan i can't bore the lifter holes anyways so i'm just going to let him do the work i would hate to half to buy a new block cause i goofed something up. expecually sees how he's only charging me 500 to do all the work...maybe when it gets back i will see the work and try on a old 460 block i have a few with slit cylinder walls affraid thanks everbody for all the good info it's always good to learn some new tricks.. this page is full of knowlegable guys. oh if u guys was in my shoes what lifters would u put in it?? keyway?? orr just a tie bar lifter?? i was told bogbone lifters are junk Question Question thanks again eric
fatal addiction
fatal addiction

Back to top Go down

Post  windsor May 13th 2010, 12:08 pm

If you're going to Michigan why don't you take it to Randy Malik (rmcompetition)?
windsor
windsor

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 May 13th 2010, 12:15 pm

In a Stock Block I wouldn't waste the time with the Keyway lifters.

IMO I also would even bother with the big time stuff untill you get well over .850 lift.

The money spend on bushing a factory block would be better spent on a aftermarket block.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next