BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

cam bearings

+3
maverick
Nevs
fatal addiction
7 posters

Go down

cam bearings Empty cam bearings

Post  fatal addiction May 13th 2010, 7:30 pm

ok boys i have one more question.'' this should be it for awhile LOL'' are roller cam bearings worth the cost? while i have the block @ machine shop thinking about having them install the roller cam bearings...thanks eric
fatal addiction
fatal addiction

Back to top Go down

cam bearings Empty Re: cam bearings

Post  Nevs May 13th 2010, 7:38 pm

If you are running a lot of lift and spring pressure, then I'd personally have it done.( My block is cut for them). There are many others on this board who will tell you it's not needed. Comes down to personal preference. IMHO
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  fatal addiction May 13th 2010, 7:46 pm

i never thought about the lift having anything to do with it, but since u mention it a few years ago when i had the block bored i had new cam bearings installed when i got the block back they was black i just thought it was weird..anyways after the first year of running i tore the motor apart to freshen it up and the cam bearings was still black like brand new? after i put the new top end on it .972 lift cam c-460 heads heavy spring press., when i tore the motor apart afew weeks ago the cam bearings wasnot black anymore like they had some wear on them. but it seams like it didn't happen till i did all the upgrades?? anyways maybe thats all wrong i don't know???? just funny that u said that..eric
fatal addiction
fatal addiction

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick May 13th 2010, 7:53 pm

I think the biggest gain with rollers is the improved oiling to the bottom end, since oil is no longer being bled off to the cam tunnel.

If your shop is equipped to do the job, (it seems that not many are) they probably get $400 bucks or so to do it. The bearings are cheap, tho (about 35 bucks). For high revving stuff, I'd say do it. For normal bracket type duty, put your dough someplace else.
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans May 13th 2010, 9:25 pm

Black..coated?

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fatal addiction May 13th 2010, 10:13 pm

yeah lem it must of just been a coating?? yeah the guy in mich. is equiped to do it.it's not like they was wore i just noticed that the black color was wearing off..eric
fatal addiction
fatal addiction

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power May 13th 2010, 10:19 pm

Your in Mi? Where at? I get my machining done at Champion-Performance. The roller bearings don't require that much oil so that's more for the rest of the engine. Depends on cost also.

What shop do you go to?
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans May 13th 2010, 10:29 pm

yeah lem it must of just been a coating?? yeah the guy in mich. is equiped to do it.it's not like they was wore i just noticed that the black color was wearing off..eric
fatal addiction

----------------------------------------------------
Sounds like you may have coated cam bearings....... Cool

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fatal addiction May 13th 2010, 10:37 pm

sorry lem miss read it.... Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
is that a good thing? do u think i should go ahead and have the roller bearings installed? eric

Last edited by fatal addiction on May 13th 2010, 10:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
fatal addiction
fatal addiction

Back to top Go down

Post  fatal addiction May 13th 2010, 10:40 pm

Your in Mi? Where at? I get my machining done at Champion-Performance. The roller bearings don't require that much oil so that's more for the rest of the engine. Depends on cost also.

What shop do you go to?.

this forum really needs a quote option.. i live in ohio south of defiance.. tim's shop is in moscow, mich. he actually just moved afew months ago.. where abouts mi. u @...eric
fatal addiction
fatal addiction

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power May 13th 2010, 10:47 pm

I'm in Plymouth. 45 minutes up from Milan oh yeah! Twisted Evil

There was a quote button bu recently we started having problems with it. So we are temporarily out of luck.
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  fatal addiction May 13th 2010, 10:54 pm

have u ever heard of tim arnold '' tico racing'' he use to be in somerset mi. moscow ''his new place'' is just down the road from their about 7-8 miles on 12..eric
fatal addiction
fatal addiction

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power May 14th 2010, 3:07 pm

fatal addiction wrote:have u ever heard of tim arnold '' tico racing'' he use to be in somerset mi. moscow ''his new place'' is just down the road from their about 7-8 miles on 12..eric

Never heard of him. But I'm guessing that's where you have your engine work done. Another member on here (Ken Bellanger who had his silver mustang on the cover of Summit racing's magazine) has had work done at Joe Soller's shop "Champion-Performance" which is where I have all my work done. Very fair and honest guy if you ask me.
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 May 14th 2010, 3:47 pm

I don't think I'd worry about roller cam bearings. Only time they are of any benifit is starting and stopping wear.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  fatal addiction May 16th 2010, 12:48 pm

well i just figured i'd ask ya'll opinion since the block is @ shop...if it's not that big of a deal maybe i won't have it done and just put the money towards a 4.750 stroke crank...thanks guys eric
fatal addiction
fatal addiction

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug May 16th 2010, 1:03 pm

fatal addiction wrote:well i just figured i'd ask ya'll opinion since the block is @ shop...if it's not that big of a deal maybe i won't have it done and just put the money towards a 4.750 stroke crank...thanks guys eric

depends what block you are going to try and put the 4.75 crank in??????

Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  fatal addiction May 16th 2010, 2:56 pm

the Coug wrote:
fatal addiction wrote:well i just figured i'd ask ya'll opinion since the block is @ shop...if it's not that big of a deal maybe i won't have it done and just put the money towards a 4.750 stroke crank...thanks guys eric

depends what block you are going to try and put the 4.75 crank in??????

Randy

a-460. eric
fatal addiction
fatal addiction

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down