BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trickflow or SCJ heads? and what cam?

+2
rmcomprandy
superfox90
6 posters

Go down

Trickflow or SCJ heads? and what cam? Empty Trickflow or SCJ heads? and what cam?

Post  superfox90 May 16th 2010, 12:11 am

first off its going into a 1990 mustang LX coupe
im building a 545 stroker, im going to use the blue thunder dual quad intake
im going to have a full suspension, k-member, sub frame connectors, 4 link ect.... with 12.8" wide tread mickey thompson street drag radials
this car is going to be used for limited street, and being a show car needs to sound awesome i like how the 306 duration area sounds like on the 306s ( http://www.compcams.com/Cam_Specs/CamDetails.aspx?csid=948&sb=2 ) this cam says 3000-7000 rpm range wont this change since its a 545 not a 460? and says use 3500+ stall should this change too to around 3200ish?
being in the 640 lift area being a street car this cause part wear issues or this much lift okay?>
i want the cam to be a hydrolic flat tappet

which would be a better head for a 545ci street beast not seeing past 6k rpm?
the trickflow heads or the SCJ heads ?? ( whats better out of the box? )
anyone have flow numbers??
i also have to keep in mine i need to keep 9.5:1 -10:1 C/R for my elevation on 91 pump gas
i know the tfs heads you can use the swap kit headers is this the same with the SCJ??

what cam would match up good with each head?

thanks for all imput
superfox90
superfox90

Back to top Go down

Trickflow or SCJ heads? and what cam? Empty Re: Trickflow or SCJ heads? and what cam?

Post  rmcomprandy May 16th 2010, 12:44 am

If you haven't got pistons yet then the SCJ heads will be best. Be sure to use the CJ version of the "Blue Thunder" intake manifold with these heads.
That 306s may sound good but runs like trash compared to what COULD be in there ... IF you are set upon a CompCams then get a "CUSTOM" grind from on here or use a Lunati #416A5LUN; (a solid lifter camshaft).
This engine with a 4.3" stroke will have almost 700 lb/ft of torque and be less maintainance then a 4.5" stroke would be; (unless you don't really care how it will run in two years, you'll simply take it apart and re-ring it however, I don't see that as being the case).
A hydraulic camshaft will give-up almost 100 horsepower but, if that is what you want then a "Custom" is the only recourse to get even close.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Trickflow or SCJ heads? and what cam? Empty Re: Trickflow or SCJ heads? and what cam?

Post  dfree383 May 16th 2010, 9:49 am

The scj heads would be my choice they are priced right..... Just have a cam ground!! Talk with some one like Randy, Lem, Blake..... Or many others on here can get one done for you.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  superfox90 May 16th 2010, 11:31 am

rmcomprandy wrote:If you haven't got pistons yet then the SCJ heads will be best. Be sure to use the CJ version of the "Blue Thunder" intake manifold with these heads.
That 306s may sound good but runs like trash compared to what COULD be in there ... IF you are set upon a CompCams then get a "CUSTOM" grind from on here or use a Lunati #416A5LUN; (a solid lifter camshaft).
This engine with a 4.3" stroke will have almost 700 lb/ft of torque and be less maintainance then a 4.5" stroke would be; (unless you don't really care how it will run in two years, you'll simply take it apart and re-ring it however, I don't see that as being the case).
A hydraulic camshaft will give-up almost 100 horsepower but, if that is what you want then a "Custom" is the only recourse to get even close.

cool thanks yeah i want lower matenance 4.3 stroker it is , with SJC heads what combustion chamber sizes are available? i need to keep 9.5:1 -10:1 C/R for my elevation on 91 oct salt lake city, and will the D&D swap kits work with these heads?
are solid lifter cams low maintenance? do they wear?
superfox90
superfox90

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs May 16th 2010, 11:44 am

SCJ heads have a 72cc combustion chamber. Diamond has shelf pistons with a dish that will get you close to the compression ratio you desire. Solid lifter flat tappet camshafts require careful break-in and periodic valve adjustments, other than that nothing out of the ordinary in respect to wear.
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  superfox90 May 16th 2010, 11:49 am

Nevs wrote:SCJ heads have a 72cc combustion chamber. Diamond has shelf pistons with a dish that will get you close to the compression ratio you desire. Solid lifter flat tappet camshafts require careful break-in and periodic valve adjustments, other than that nothing out of the ordinary in respect to wear.

okay how often you have to adjust them? you just use a spacer tool right?
how you break these in you run it at 2k rpms for like 20 min? or that just a flat tappet thing,?
so if i get scat crank 4.3 & i beams , then get them diamond pistons i should be able to have it balanced at a machine shop?
should i get hyper pistons? or forged?

thanks in advanced for the helpful info
superfox90
superfox90

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy May 16th 2010, 12:48 pm

You can get a "rotating assembly" from me or SEVERAL people on here.

With aluminum heads and a camshaft as big as what you are talking about; 10.5/1 compression will run well on 91 octane Premium pump gas.

Breaking-in a solid lifter cam is no different than breaking-in a big hydraulic lifter camshaft.

With a solid lifter camshaft; after the first couple valve adjustments they will take a set and will then need to be checked maybe once a year afterward; (depending upon how much running TIME is on the engine).

I have "race" engines out there with solid lifter valve train where the valve covers have never been off of it untill it comes back here the next year for a freshen-up.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  superfox90 May 16th 2010, 1:01 pm

oh okay cool i just wanted to be save on pump gas , so shoot for 10:1-10.5:1 C/R then? and the Lunati #416A5LUN you mentioned should work fine with the SCJ heads and the blue thunder dual quad port to match SCJs being a 521ci also hows this cam sound?? have you seen any videos as example thats similar that you could link?.......
who would i contact for a rotating assembly on here???
i cant find that thread with a list of people and what their specialty is on here Ive seen it once.......
thanks again im about set
superfox90
superfox90

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs May 16th 2010, 1:03 pm

superfox90 wrote:oh okay cool i just wanted to be save on pump gas , so shoot for 10:1-10.5:1 C/R then? and the Lunati #416A5LUN you mentioned should work fine with the SCJ heads and the blue thunder dual quad port to match SCJs being a 521ci also hows this cam sound?? have you seen any videos as example thats similar that you could link?.......
who would i contact for a rotating assembly on here???
i cant find that thread with a list of people and what their specialty is on here Ive seen it once.......
thanks again im about set

You mean this one?: https://www.429-460.com/engine-tech-f2/vendor-list-updated-01-12-10-please-support-our-vendors-t115.htm
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  superfox90 May 16th 2010, 1:05 pm

yeah thats the one thanks haha
superfox90
superfox90

Back to top Go down

Post  superfox90 May 16th 2010, 3:16 pm

so with this above combo what kind of HP and TRQ will i be expecting to see approximate?
superfox90
superfox90

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty May 16th 2010, 4:53 pm

Don't want to sound like a broken record here, but a custom grind would be better. They are only like $20 or so mire than a shelf grind and are well worth it. Twisted Evil Cool
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  superfox90 May 16th 2010, 6:01 pm

if i get a custom grind what do i tell them for lift , duration and what rpm range i want ?? what are the exact numbers im looking for?
superfox90
superfox90

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs May 16th 2010, 6:15 pm

superfox90 wrote:if i get a custom grind what do i tell them for lift , duration and what rpm range i want ?? what are the exact numbers im looking for?

You give them your engine/car build,i.e.: cylinder heads, flow numbers for heads, bore, stroke, compression ratio, what type of car it's going in, transmission, converter stall speed,car weight, rear gear ratio, tire size, etc. and they will give you recommendations. Without all this information, it's very difficult for anyone to spec a camshaft correctly. If they tell you they can, run the other way and don't call them back!
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  superfox90 May 16th 2010, 9:05 pm

Nevs wrote:
superfox90 wrote:if i get a custom grind what do i tell them for lift , duration and what rpm range i want ?? what are the exact numbers im looking for?

You give them your engine/car build,i.e.: cylinder heads, flow numbers for heads, bore, stroke, compression ratio, what type of car it's going in, transmission, converter stall speed,car weight, rear gear ratio, tire size, etc. and they will give you recommendations. Without all this information, it's very difficult for anyone to spec a camshaft correctly. If they tell you they can, run the other way and don't call them back!

thanks thats very good info i didnt know they needed all that for a cam thanks tons
superfox90
superfox90

Back to top Go down

Post  cletus66 May 18th 2010, 8:05 am

When I bought my last cam, I called 1-586-909-1591 and told the guy on the other end of the line what I had and how I wanted it to run. I got EXACTLY what I was looking for.
cletus66
cletus66

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 May 18th 2010, 8:34 am

Get with a Vendor of your choice on the site, they know what to spec for a 460, most of the techs on the typical hotlines are not involved in development of 460's and are guys who know GMs or other brand stuff and are making suggestions based on a catalog not actual personal experiance.

Plus you'll typicaly pay a little less haveing one of the vendors here get it for you.

Lem, Randy, Dave Mcclain, Blake, Ect are the first to come to mind, but their are others.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down