BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Well my Cam pin broke what kind should I get now??

+12
512Fairlane
maverick
schmitty
mustang68mustangs1
BOSS 429
cool40
richter69
DJOHAGIN
dfree383
jones
Nevs
Big block fox 339
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Well my Cam pin broke what kind should I get now?? - Page 2 Empty Re: Well my Cam pin broke what kind should I get now??

Post  Outlaw5.0 Mon 31 May 2010, 12:06 pm

As already mentioned fix the problem, double pin is a bandaid.

Outlaw5.0

Back to top Go down

Well my Cam pin broke what kind should I get now?? - Page 2 Empty Re: Well my Cam pin broke what kind should I get now??

Post  Big block fox 339 Tue 27 Jul 2010, 11:58 am

Well I just got to working on my engine again ( just got married )

Pulled my heads I do have a bent valve or 2

I checked the cam bolt it wasn't to long and it does have the thick washer

The cam bearings don't seem to tight it spins freely

So I still don't know what caused it I just orderd the c460 cam from lem but I gotta figure out what did it before I put it back in any ideas

Thanks Micah
Big block fox 339
Big block fox 339

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 Tue 27 Jul 2010, 12:05 pm

Put the cam gear on the cam and see if the snout of the cam sticks out beyond the gear.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power Tue 27 Jul 2010, 1:21 pm

Maybe the bolt and washer were perfectly fine and were tight but thread locker wasn't put on the cam bolt Exclamation That would do it, but I'm not saying that IS what caused this. Wink
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  Big block fox 339 Tue 27 Jul 2010, 2:53 pm

dfree383 wrote:Put the cam gear on the cam and see if the snout of the cam sticks out beyond the gear.

I just put it on and it looks fine snout is inset

A engine builder built the engine he said he used locktight

I just ordered a arp cam bolt,c460 cam,lifters,and timing set from lem when everything gets in im gonna check piston to valve clearance to make sure nothing touching
Big block fox 339
Big block fox 339

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 Tue 27 Jul 2010, 9:07 pm

i have never used anything on the threads in a cam bolt.not a bad idea i guess,but you may need it out someday too. Smile
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power Tue 27 Jul 2010, 9:10 pm

cool40 wrote:i have never used anything on the threads in a cam bolt.not a bad idea i guess,but you may need it out someday too. Smile
I know this because, well, you know Embarassed bolt walked right out on me and F'ed it up before the HS drags since we just replaced the cam. I've heard of it happening to other people too. Just throwing it out there.
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 Tue 27 Jul 2010, 10:59 pm

Big block fox 339 wrote:
dfree383 wrote:Put the cam gear on the cam and see if the snout of the cam sticks out beyond the gear.

I just ordered a arp cam bolt,c460 cam,lifters,and timing set from lem when everything gets in im gonna check piston to valve clearance to make sure nothing touching
did you have the fuel pump drive bolted on the cam gear?if it was make sure the tab that goes in the pin hole is not hitting the pin and holding it off the gear when you bolt it down.i'v saw it before when the cam pin was a little too long.hope you figure it out,let us know what you find.
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power Tue 27 Jul 2010, 11:04 pm

cool40 wrote:
Big block fox 339 wrote:

did you have the fuel pump drive bolted on the cam gear?if it was make sure the tab that goes in the pin hole is not hitting the pin and holding it off the gear when you bolt it down.i'v saw it before when the cam pin was a little too long.hope you figure it out,let us know what you find.
That's what happened to me, the tab was put in the pin hole. Embarassed There didn't seem to be any other place for it to go.
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  nuclearcobra Wed 28 Jul 2010, 7:11 pm

You're right it go's in the pin hole but the pin cant be to long.
nuclearcobra
nuclearcobra
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Big block fox 339 Wed 28 Jul 2010, 10:18 pm

cool40 wrote:
Big block fox 339 wrote:

Thats possible il check that next time im at the shop
Big block fox 339
Big block fox 339

Back to top Go down

Post  Big block fox 339 Thu 29 Jul 2010, 8:47 pm

Looked over my short block today the intake valve reliefs has some slight markings in it is it possible I floated the valves I shift at 6000. I only over reved it once before I put a limiter in it. It was the first time I ever drove it I know it didn't get over 6700 rpm at the highest is it possible that it damaged the cam??
Big block fox 339
Big block fox 339

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 Thu 29 Jul 2010, 11:01 pm

Big block fox 339 wrote:Looked over my short block today the intake valve reliefs has some slight markings in it is it possible I floated the valves I shift at 6000. I only over reved it once before I put a limiter in it. It was the first time I ever drove it I know it didn't get over 6700 rpm at the highest is it possible that it damaged the cam??
did you have any bent pushrods?
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Big block fox 339 Thu 29 Jul 2010, 11:05 pm

No they all seem straight just bent valves I'm using lunati 8.550 pushrods
Big block fox 339
Big block fox 339

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 Thu 29 Jul 2010, 11:35 pm

i dont think the valve float woulda caused the pin to break.just check it all out good when you go back together and maybe it'll work out ok this time.it coulda just been a bad pin,i had the end of a crane cam break off in new build.it had the gear with the bolt and a big ass chunk of cam still in it layen in the timing cover,and some bent valves as you well know about.crane said i over torqued the bolt so i try to use a tq wrench and over torque it now.ioi.
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Big block fox 339 Thu 29 Jul 2010, 11:46 pm

Yeah I know about bent valves lol. I hope it won't happen again I'm starting over new and better
Big block fox 339
Big block fox 339

Back to top Go down

Post  WDR460 Fri 30 Jul 2010, 4:33 am

I hauled my cam bolt to 60ftlb and locktight. Single cam pin , Comp XR292R roller. This odd vibration developed a few runs later and snapped the fuel pump drive mandrel for the mechanical fuel injection in the middle of a run , and it coughed and died due to lack of fuel.

Further inspection showed chipped teath off the FMS roller timing chain in the sump on the drain magnet. OK , pulled the motor to have a look. Then I found the cam pin had sheared as well.

Looked and looked , then found the culprit. The cam washer , FMS fat good quality , had cupped and was not applying full clamp onto the timing gear face. Thus the gear moved around and this moving around was the sheared pin. Thank god the gear didnt move much and i did not suffer any valve damage. Drilled a new timing gear set and the old cam with twin pins fitted , bought an ARP Washer and bolt set . All fixed.

John
WDR460
WDR460

Back to top Go down

Post  Big block fox 339 Fri 06 Aug 2010, 7:34 am

Ok the springs that were on my heads was for like over .700 lift so the were really week at my .565 lift so I'm pretty sure it was floating the valves not sure if that broke the pin

Is 6000 rpm to much on the hyd ft cam
Big block fox 339
Big block fox 339

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 Fri 06 Aug 2010, 5:21 pm

confused .700 lift but were weak?
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Big block fox 339 Fri 06 Aug 2010, 6:37 pm

The springs were weak for my cam they were made for a bigger lift cam
Big block fox 339
Big block fox 339

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum