BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What have I gotten myself into?

+9
DILLIGASDAVE
richter69
jason
mach1charlie
Greg_P
Northwest outlaw
stangr8cr
72mav
GearBeer
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What have I gotten myself into? Empty What have I gotten myself into?

Post  GearBeer August 21st 2009, 10:58 am

I bought my '63 Fairlane drag car because it was a Fairlane, pre-equipped and a screamin' deal. However, I really have no idea about the quality of the install or parts used. Rolling Eyes

Feel free to let me have it on the picture quality, but it's what I have on Photobucket right now.

Roll cage - You can't tell in this photo, but the roll cage goes through the floor to the tube chassis.
What have I gotten myself into? FairlaneDragCar-06

Roll cage and suspension from above-rear
What have I gotten myself into? FairlaneDragCar-08

Rear suspension from below
What have I gotten myself into? FairlaneDragCar-09

Tube chassis
What have I gotten myself into? FairlaneDragCar-13

Someone mentioned in another thread that there was a kit for telling mild steel from CM. Anyone know the cost or availability of such a test?

GearBeer

http://home.comcast.net/~kyle.lehrmann/mygarage.html

Back to top Go down

What have I gotten myself into? Empty Re: What have I gotten myself into?

Post  72mav August 21st 2009, 11:13 am

Hi There,
Welcome to the site. Im in Bancroft,Mi, just about 20 miles East of lansing.
I get down by you ocasionally, and have built three cars. "COLLECTING" parts for my maverick project curently.Could take a peek at it for ya sometime. Be more than happy to help. Best time to call is after 7Pm.
Al 989-494-9746
72mav
72mav

Back to top Go down

Post  stangr8cr August 21st 2009, 11:49 am

Not tearing your car apart but from the looks of that pic of the tube in the trunk, it isn't welded all the way around to the plate. It wouldn't pass a chassis cert. If that is the direction you want to go with the car, you may want a reputable chassis guy at least give it a look over and let you know what your looking at. You can never be too cautious, safety first. Post up some more pics of the body, Fairlanes are awesome!! Cool

Boo Boo
stangr8cr
stangr8cr
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Northwest outlaw August 21st 2009, 11:55 am

buy the pics i see it will not cert but it all can be fixed some more pics of the a piller bar at the floor and the main hoop. If have the money have the bar soinc tested it would suck to do all that work and have it not pass with bars to thin. If you need amy more help just ask Jason.
Northwest outlaw
Northwest outlaw

Back to top Go down

Post  GearBeer August 21st 2009, 12:22 pm

Al,

I'd love too have someone who knows more than me take a look at it. Let me know next time you're in my neck of the proverbial woods, I don't want you to have to make a special trip. You can call me at (517) 490-7822.

The fruits of my other hobby, homebrewing, will be available for consumption whenever you drop by. Cool

Boo Boo,

You're right about that pipe. Feel free to tear the car apart as viciously as you wish. I'd rather know what's wrong with it before I put any more $ into it, plus, I didn't do any of the work, (yet) so you won't be insulting me! I bought the car because most of what they'd used looked like quality equipment with ok to poor installation that could be fixed easily enough with some elbow grease.

The body isn't much to look at. It's a little rusty with the original Rangoon Red paint showing through the rattlecan black where tarps have been tied over it throughout the years (it's been on that pad behind my house for ~1 year).

What have I gotten myself into? IMG_3041

There must have been some significant rust damage to the front end. The lower radiator crossmember and the front subframe rails were repaired with sheet metal, square tubing and big, boogery welds. It doesn't look very good so I'll be fixing it up properly, probably from a donor car.
What have I gotten myself into? FairlaneDragCar-03

The fenders and quarters are also on the rusty side. The quarters have been stuffed full of bondo, which the PO was upfront about. He was just trying to make a quick, light car for his son and didn't mind if he fixed it by squishing bondo over rust. Rolling Eyes The fenders will be replaced with glass panels and the quarters will be fixed up with steel (at least more steel).
What have I gotten myself into? FairlaneDragCar-04
What have I gotten myself into? FairlaneDragCar-07

The interior is stripped and the instrument cluster is MIA. That's a non-issue, though, because an aluminum or fiberglass enclosure will do the same job while being lighter and more accessible.
What have I gotten myself into? FairlaneDragCar-05

Jason,

I'll take some better pictures of the joining locations (and everything else) this weekend.

I can measure the wall thickness of the roll cage pipe where it meets the floor pans in the trunk, but it's probably better to have the hoop measured independently and not assume that it was all made from the same material.

GearBeer

Back to top Go down

Post  Northwest outlaw August 21st 2009, 12:23 pm

LOL had a brain fart it only has a roll bar check to see if the main hoop is 1.750 and pics of the floor where the bars meet it is there a 6x6x.125 plates.
Northwest outlaw
Northwest outlaw

Back to top Go down

Post  Northwest outlaw August 21st 2009, 12:26 pm

Cool deal Al a good guy we talk all the time.
Northwest outlaw
Northwest outlaw

Back to top Go down

Post  GearBeer August 21st 2009, 12:32 pm

Are you meaning a roll bar as compared to a roll cage? Ah needs git mahsaylf sum lernin'. rabbit

There are plates in the trunk, as pictured, and there are plates (I think they're thinner) where the bars pass through the floor to the tubes.

Yes, pictures, maybe tonight as long as I don't drink too much at the Union.

GearBeer

Back to top Go down

Post  Northwest outlaw August 21st 2009, 12:50 pm

yea from what i can see it has a 6 point roll bar in it.
Northwest outlaw
Northwest outlaw

Back to top Go down

Post  GearBeer August 21st 2009, 12:58 pm

Ok, so let me get this straight. You can have a 6 point roll bar and a 6 point roll cage, right? The roll bar is what I have where the hoop is just behind the front seats and the front two points are mounted low on the hoop. The roll cage would have the front two points following the roofline and a-pillars.

GearBeer

Back to top Go down

Post  Northwest outlaw August 21st 2009, 1:22 pm

only 6 point roll bar the cages start a 8 points to make yours a cage you need the piller bars and the halo bar that the bar that is over your head the main hoop in the bar that behind the seat that runs up and over to the pass. side.
Northwest outlaw
Northwest outlaw

Back to top Go down

Post  GearBeer August 21st 2009, 1:32 pm

Ok. Would that be possible with what I've got currently or do I need to replace the hoop?

EDIT: I'm assuming it's possible from a geometric standpoint. I'm wondering if there are different material standards.

GearBeer

Back to top Go down

Post  Northwest outlaw August 21st 2009, 2:47 pm

Yea you can go a few ways hrew,dom,cm each one has different call out on the wall thiness. You didnt do bad maybe just some clean up and check a few things the ET will tell you if you need a cage or just a roll bar.
Northwest outlaw
Northwest outlaw

Back to top Go down

Post  GearBeer August 21st 2009, 4:49 pm

Northwest outlaw wrote:Yea you can go a few ways hrew,dom,cm each one has different call out on the wall thiness.
Well those terms mean nothing to me. Embarassed Better start readin' any suggestions? study

Alright! Got some photos for ya before I run off to drink with my brewin' buddies.

Driver's Rear
What have I gotten myself into? Hardtop%20Chassis-01
Passenger's Rear
What have I gotten myself into? Hardtop%20Chassis-02
Driver's A-Pillar
What have I gotten myself into? Hardtop%20Chassis-12
Driver's B-Pillar
What have I gotten myself into? Hardtop%20Chassis-16
Passenger's A-Pillar
What have I gotten myself into? Hardtop%20Chassis-18
No photos of passenger's B-Pillar. I couldn't get to it.

Passenger's Side Ladder Bar
What have I gotten myself into? Hardtop%20Chassis-03
Driver's Side Ladder Bar
What have I gotten myself into? Hardtop%20Chassis-06
Useless Lateral Bar
What have I gotten myself into? Hardtop%20Chassis-04
Underbody Forward
What have I gotten myself into? Hardtop%20Chassis-10
Underbody Rearward
What have I gotten myself into? Hardtop%20Chassis-11

GearBeer

Back to top Go down

Post  Northwest outlaw August 21st 2009, 7:16 pm

Ok i see what they did it is hard to tell from the pics about the welds here is a fast draw i did for you on a roll bar and cage.
What have I gotten myself into? Rc460
Northwest outlaw
Northwest outlaw

Back to top Go down

Post  GearBeer August 21st 2009, 9:02 pm

Thanks Jason.

So I would get rid of the current forward bars and replace them with A-Pillar supports with window and dash crossmembers for a cage-type frame.

Is it necessary to have the plate on the floorpans? The A and B pillar bars blow through the floor pans and attach to the tube chassis.

GearBeer

Back to top Go down

Post  Greg_P August 21st 2009, 9:49 pm

Not to be harsh, but that rollbar looks like ass. The welds look like ass on top of rust.

I can't tell you what to do, but unless you're willing to strip that crap out and put in something you can trust, you might as well sell the car.

Greg
Greg_P
Greg_P

Back to top Go down

What have I gotten myself into? Empty Welding

Post  mach1charlie August 21st 2009, 10:18 pm

A good welder can fix your project. lots of guys are out of work, Got any friends that are pipe welders?

Hell I am an out of work pipe welder, are you in florida?

Charlie

mach1charlie

Back to top Go down

Post  jason August 21st 2009, 11:37 pm

If i had it id cut everything out and start over, the plates on the floor have to be 1/8 inch 6x6 and welded all the way around. Is the main hoop high enough and does the door bars cross between your shoulder and elbow? The car has potential dont be discouraged.
jason
jason

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 August 22nd 2009, 3:37 am

The cool thing about steel is no matter how f'd up it is you can always fix it............... Very Happy
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE August 22nd 2009, 4:06 am

Before you do anything you need to get the old cage material sonic tested to see if it will even be thick enough to pass cert. No reason to do a bunch of work and then find out the old cage tubing is too thin. I'm guessing it's mild steel cuz the welds don't look to be Tig welded. And 'moly tubing can only be Tig welded and not Mig welded. And if it's all stick welded that's a no-no in drag racing anyway no matter what the tubing material used.

Your also missing a main hoop seat cross bar too. And the "fake" coil over shocks are pretty much useless in a drag car.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  GearBeer August 22nd 2009, 8:04 am

Greg's just bustin' my chops in his usual no-bullshit manner. I'll survive.

Charlie,

Unfortunately, no, I'm up in Michigan, but we're heading into winter and if I decide to work on the drag car this winter I'm sure I can get someone in to work on it. I have the TIG welder, just not the skills.

Jason and Dave,

If that's what's got to be done, then I have no problem doing it. I want it fast and cheap (of course) but I'm not interested in fast, cheap and dead!

Should the new cage go through the floor to the tube chassis with the plates on the floor?

GearBeer

Back to top Go down

Post  Greg_P August 22nd 2009, 10:44 am

Kyle,

Not chop bustin' on ya, bro! But think about it, the purpose of the roll bar is NOT to check off some box at the tech inspector's lane. The purpose of that roll bar is to heep the car from killing you when it ends up on it's lid! Serious business! That's why I had a pro do mine.

Wherever possible, attaching the rollbar to the frame is the stronger way to attach the bar to the car.

Greg
Greg_P
Greg_P

Back to top Go down

What have I gotten myself into? Empty weld

Post  mach1charlie August 22nd 2009, 11:53 am

Gearbeer
Your roll bar looks to be mild steel, cause its thick .125? as seen were its not welded out to plate. I would mig weld it. a good man on a mig looks like tig. Lots of grinding to prep (your job) for reweld ! Looks like some floorboard work also.

Thats a nice project, nice budget racecar. a dirt cheap 460/c6 will make it fast enuff.

looks like about 2 days work with torches, mig and a 4 inch grinder. Every thing takes twice as long as it should (4 days)

MIG Advice. Run small wire hot and fast ( gas shield, no flux core crap!)(stay out in front of the puddle) First pass uphill. Toppass downhill (looks nice). With mig you can weld the top of the pipe (at roof)all the way around, never get a tig rig in there

Always wear your safety glasses...Charlie

ps wish you were in Florida, Id rather work on a project than type about it !!!

mach1charlie

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori August 22nd 2009, 12:01 pm

Very cool looking car, lots of potential, but I think you would be better cutting out the old stuff and putting in new also.

Then you know what is there. I have seen too many roll bars made out of exhaust pipe and crap that wouldn't provide any protection at all. It doesn't look like the builder had much pride or workmanship, so you don't know where the corners were cut. Some of those welds look like you could pull them off by hand.

Like Greg said, your life could depent on it. Not a place to cut corners.

If you look at S/W Racecars or Auto Weld or others, you can get a pre-bendt kit for a few hundred. Best would be a custom bent install.

Good luck.

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum