BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Update-Hy-Gard made the converter too tight?

+11
dfree383
IDT-572
BIGDOG466
Lem Evans
85montess
badshoe
richter69
cool40
Nevs
bruno
Treeyasoon
15 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Update-Hy-Gard made the converter too tight? Empty Update-Hy-Gard made the converter too tight?

Post  Treeyasoon June 20th 2010, 4:41 am

This thing will not fall out of a tree....
Everything is the same except for the Hy-Gard and, I have have about 20 ft/lbs less torque due to a bigger cam. (This is as compared to my first 557.)
It seems that due to the less torque, coupled with the fluid, I have made the converter way too tight.
1.37 60'
6.02 @ 116???
Sounds like it is laboring....Should have been in the 5.70 range....
Everything is fresh.
Any thoughts?

Last edited by Treeyasoon on June 28th 2010, 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Treeyasoon
Treeyasoon

Back to top Go down

Update-Hy-Gard made the converter too tight? Empty Re: Update-Hy-Gard made the converter too tight?

Post  bruno June 20th 2010, 7:29 am

i wouldnt think the hy-guard would make that much of a difference ...... from what ive read 200-400rpms tighter

www.OakleyMotorsports.com
www.Induction-Solutions.com
www.bfevansraceparts.com
www.ultimateconverter.com
www.keithfulpmotorsports.com
bruno
bruno

http://WWW.CKRME.COM

Back to top Go down

Update-Hy-Gard made the converter too tight? Empty Re: Update-Hy-Gard made the converter too tight?

Post  Nevs June 20th 2010, 8:33 am

Sounds like something else is going on..... Idea
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 June 20th 2010, 10:33 am

put atf in and see what you get.i have'nt ran it before but i dont think all your trouble is the fluid.did you dyno the engine to know your down on tq?
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 June 20th 2010, 10:42 am

mph is down too. Whats the conv stall?
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  badshoe June 20th 2010, 11:29 am

It's getting into Summer so the car might slow down which is normal. I doubt the fluid is doing it. Could have a slipping converter one-way which will hurt 60 ft times without changing MPH too much.

badshoe

Back to top Go down

Post  Treeyasoon June 20th 2010, 12:04 pm

cool40 wrote:put atf in and see what you get.i have'nt ran it before but i dont think all your trouble is the fluid.did you dyno the engine to know your down on tq?
That is my first plan of action...to get the Hy-Gard out and see what happens...And yes, I did dyno the engine.
I sent the converter back and had it cut open, inspected and, freshened. I sent them a copy of the old dyno sheet (That the converter was originally built for) and a copy of the the new dyno sheet.
They didn't seem to think there was enough difference between the two to worry about changing stall speed.
Treeyasoon
Treeyasoon

Back to top Go down

Post  Treeyasoon June 20th 2010, 12:06 pm

richter69 wrote:mph is down too. Whats the conv stall?
Yes the mph is way down....should have been in the 120-122 range...biotch will only stall about 4500.
The hell of it is....the damn thing is deadly consistant....just sloooooow...lol.
Treeyasoon
Treeyasoon

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 June 20th 2010, 12:07 pm

again whats the stall? also whats the fall back on the shift? trap rpm?

The hygard should only make a 200 rpm diff at most, your 60' is real slow, but the mph also reflects some other issues. And yes the air is shitty right now.

ok you posted while i typed lol. Stall is way low IMO, these deals want a 5500-5800........mine goes 5500 and i consider it tight.............

What brand and size converter?
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Treeyasoon June 20th 2010, 12:18 pm

It falls back to about 4500 from a 6500 shift and hangs there.
At the initial hit, it will hang at 4500 and stay there until about 200' out, then it starts pulling like a mo-fo.
I run a 4.10 gear with a 33" tire (105-1/2" roll-out) and I wasn't going into high cog until about 400' out.

I agree...it is way too tight...should be in the 5500 range...it is a 9" Coan.
I've never had the first issue with any of their converters...they alway have hit it right on the money.
I'm gonna' swap fluid just to see but, I may have to yank it out and have them loosen it up.
Treeyasoon
Treeyasoon

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 June 20th 2010, 12:23 pm

way too tight......honestly I'm not sure what they are doing to get a 9" that snug.

Gonna take more than a fluid change to get you there.

Thats a lot of gear with a tall tire as well, honestly for the 1/8th it would like a little steeper gear.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Treeyasoon June 20th 2010, 12:48 pm

richter69 wrote:way too tight......honestly I'm not sure what they are doing to get a 9" that snug.

Thats a lot of gear with a tall tire as well, honestly for the 1/8th it would like a little steeper gear.
I agree 100%...it just baffles the shyt out of me...
The combo is essentially the same as before...just a bigger cam....it usually is mid 1.20's to 60'...has been 1.21...5.66 @ 124.
I would swap the gear but, I like to keep it geared for the 1/4....planning on running some divisionals in Super Gas.
I know I could still go 1320' with a 4.56 or so but, I don't really see the need to spin it that hard for a small gain.

On the bright side, Coan is just a little over an hour from me...I could get it there and back and lose the two days of shipping...lol.
What is the best way to get all the fluid out so I can do an apples-to-apples comparison?
I don't really want to drill the converter....I thought about draining the pan and then pulling a line off and blowing air throught it but, I don't think it will help me get it out of the converter. May have to buy a couple of cases of cheap fluid and flush the piss out of it.
Treeyasoon
Treeyasoon

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 June 20th 2010, 12:57 pm

drain the pan, refill with atf, take the cooler line lose from the trans and put in a drain pan, start motor and dump atf in trans while it pumps it out.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 June 20th 2010, 12:59 pm

Treeyasoon wrote:
richter69 wrote:way too tight......honestly I'm not sure what they are doing to get a 9" that snug.

I agree 100%...it just baffles the shyt out of me...
The combo is essentially the same as before...just a bigger cam....it usually is mid 1.20's to 60'...has been 1.21...5.66 @ 124.
I would swap the gear but, I like to keep it geared for the 1/4....planning on running some divisionals in Super Gas.
I know I could still go 1320' with a 4.56 or so but, I don't really see the need to spin it that hard for a small gain.

On the bright side, Coan is just a little over an hour from me...I could get it there and back and lose the two days of shipping...lol.
What is the best way to get all the fluid out so I can do an apples-to-apples comparison?
I don't really want to drill the converter....I thought about draining the pan and then pulling a line off and blowing air throught it but, I don't think it will help me get it out of the converter. May have to buy a couple of cases of cheap fluid and flush the piss out of it.

how much more dur at .050? what lobe sep?
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Treeyasoon June 20th 2010, 1:06 pm

Here is the current cam....I'd have to look for the old cam card...all I can remember is it was .740ish lift 110* lobe sep.

Update-Hy-Gard made the converter too tight? Img050

Last edited by Treeyasoon on June 22nd 2010, 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Wrong lobe sep given)
Treeyasoon
Treeyasoon

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 June 20th 2010, 1:09 pm

repost the dyno sheets...........what stroke crank?
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Treeyasoon June 20th 2010, 1:16 pm

4.440" bore x 4.5" stroke....

Update-Hy-Gard made the converter too tight? Img052-1
Treeyasoon
Treeyasoon

Back to top Go down

Post  85montess June 20th 2010, 2:23 pm

The dyno sheet shows that it was done in February. Have you verified that the timing is still at 34degrees with your electronics in your car? With different boxes, coils and etc it is always best to recheck the timing, as I have seen it change between boxes/coils. The other thing could be that the jetting (98) could be way too rich for the heat. Both things could really make it labor down low.
85montess
85montess

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans June 20th 2010, 3:12 pm

what cyl head and comp ratio?

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bruno June 20th 2010, 3:23 pm

pretty cool Tree ...looks like my dyno graph

www.OakleyMotorsports.com
www.Induction-Solutions.com
www.bfevansraceparts.com
www.ultimateconverter.com
www.keithfulpmotorsports.com
bruno
bruno

http://WWW.CKRME.COM

Back to top Go down

Post  Treeyasoon June 20th 2010, 3:42 pm

85montess wrote:The dyno sheet shows that it was done in February. Have you verified that the timing is still at 34degrees with your electronics in your car? With different boxes, coils and etc it is always best to recheck the timing, as I have seen it change between boxes/coils. The other thing could be that the jetting (98) could be way too rich for the heat. Both things could really make it labor down low.
Yes, I did check the timing...It was at 35* in the car....plugs looked perfect so I think the jetting is close.

Lem, they are A429 heads...comp is 15-1.
Treeyasoon
Treeyasoon

Back to top Go down

Post  BIGDOG466 June 20th 2010, 7:27 pm

Reg Hy-gurd changed mine 200 RPM tighter from Dex III in a C6, I think conv too tight for combo. BUTTT
you are bracket racing and if its deadly on the number what's the problem, that's how you win cheers
Oh go ahead and change it I race agianst you what the hell am I doing!!!!!!!!! scratch scratch Shocked lol! Very Happy Very Happy
BIGDOG466
BIGDOG466

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 June 20th 2010, 9:05 pm

converter too tight...cam too big...................
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Treeyasoon June 20th 2010, 9:24 pm

Well, we know the converter is too tight, as we have established that but, would you care to share why you think the cam is too big?
I have wondered about this myself...I still have the old cam...and it still remains an option to remedy the problem.
Treeyasoon
Treeyasoon

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans June 20th 2010, 9:50 pm

So, what was the 'old' cam?

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next