BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dove vs. Dooer heads

+9
Nevs
Outlaw5.0
Mark Laczo
schmitty
rmcomprandy
nuclearcobra
dfree383
ThndrChkn
mitch
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Dove vs. Dooer heads - Page 2 Empty Re: Dove vs. Dooer heads

Post  Outlaw5.0 June 25th 2010, 7:48 pm

dfree383 wrote:Anybody can buy a big time set of aftermarket heads and go fast, its the ones that take parts that everyone says can't do it and make them fly, they are the HeRo's IMO
If you can do most of the work yourself, sure go for it. But paying a person to fully port them, and etc is not going to be cheap. Its not smart either unless you handicapped by rules.

Outlaw5.0

Back to top Go down

Post  lghting94 June 25th 2010, 8:53 pm

I run a superstock mud truck with a 495 cid motor (dyno'ed at 760+ horsepower) and a real good set of iron cj's my build is in the proven build section the last two weekend i have run a 100 foot pit in 2.2 to 2.3 seconds in a 4500 pound truck. I only have the iron heads because they are a requiremnet for this class. I plan when I can afford it to build a larger engine and these heds will go on the new build. It can be done with the old stuff just takes time, planning and listening to the guys have been there to make it work.
lghting94
lghting94

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 June 25th 2010, 10:33 pm

Outlaw5.0 wrote:
dfree383 wrote:Anybody can buy a big time set of aftermarket heads and go fast, its the ones that take parts that everyone says can't do it and make them fly, they are the HeRo's IMO
If you can do most of the work yourself, sure go for it. But paying a person to fully port them, and etc is not going to be cheap. Its not smart either unless you handicapped by rules.

just happen this guy is bound by the class rules.

I'd rather be challenged...... Making something from nothing is much more satifying to me. But then again I don't play with this stuff to make money.....
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  kjett June 28th 2010, 1:51 am

dfree383 wrote:I'd rather be challenged...... Making something from nothing is much more satifying to me. But then again I don't play with this stuff to make money.....

I can attest to this, money isn't the issue, good liquid corn however is a must! Laughing
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  The Mad Porter July 4th 2010, 3:27 pm

The information provided in this thread is very good...

Common sense dictates that an iron cj head is going to be best in a no holes barred situation.
In a restricted class ei vac rule or small carb the difference is nill.

Each has their place and will make a bunch of HP if done right.

Max effort iron cjs will approach 400 cfm at 850 lift and will go 200 plus exhaust without weld etx
Max effort cj or victor match Doves or D3's can approach 360 cfm and about the same on the exhaust. Intake port cross section is smaller so port velocity is better as are the mid lift numbers but not by a bunch if the iron cjs are done right.

It still amazes me that such a maligned cylinder head can support so much power when loved properly... In the end it is the exhaust port that is the limiting factor unless one reworks the iron cj exhaust port with weld and a bunch of time...

Very Happy

The Mad Porter
The Mad Porter

http://www.reincarnation-automotive.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2