BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Waterpump: electric, or belt drive?

+2
dfree383
dutchie
6 posters

Go down

Waterpump: electric, or belt drive? Empty Waterpump: electric, or belt drive?

Post  dutchie June 28th 2010, 1:13 am

Hello,
Waht are the opinions to drive an electric waterpump for pure street use?

Are these reliable? (assuming a good brand, like CRS for instance) for streetuse?

Are the benefits noticable? (running after engine shutdown in order to cool better)
I do have electric fan's on my radiator.

Maybe a combination of both, a good belt driven waterpump, driven by a separate electric motor?

dutchie

Back to top Go down

Waterpump: electric, or belt drive? Empty Re: Waterpump: electric, or belt drive?

Post  dfree383 June 28th 2010, 6:01 am

For the build that you've already outlined, stick with the factory belt and v grove pulley system and mechanical pump. For comtinues use and high milage expecations you can't beat the factory parts.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Waterpump: electric, or belt drive? Empty Re: Waterpump: electric, or belt drive?

Post  lghting94 June 28th 2010, 8:13 am

i agree with dfree
lghting94
lghting94

Back to top Go down

Post  dutchie June 28th 2010, 9:45 am

okay, then i'll order a mech. new one.
Any great brands specific recommended?

thanks.

dutchie

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 June 28th 2010, 9:47 am

Edelbrock makes a decent aluminum, or any good reman factory one will do.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  TorinoGT June 28th 2010, 10:01 am

For what its worth...

I have been using a mechanical pump, driven by an electric motor (moroso)... along with dual electric fans, for many years now.

my reason for going to this "system" was... my car is 100% street driven. during car "cruises", you spend ALOT of time stopped, idle.... during these long periods of idle, the heat rises quickly (as the belt driven fan and pump are moving very slowly), and during cruises, even when your moving, you are often moving at slow speeds... so my car would often want to overheat... I would have to duck out onto side streets to drive around at speed to cool the car down... with the electric motor and fans, the cooling system is running at the same speed all the time, keeping the car cool... now at idle or very slow speed, my car actually cools down more than when driving.

so for me, this setup has worked much better than the purely mechanical setup i originally had.

Shane
TorinoGT
TorinoGT

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy June 28th 2010, 10:22 am

Use a standard replacement pump like an original FORD or one of the same kind. Racing style pumps are better only at higher RPM and not as efficient as a production water pump at low RPM.
You can use an electric motor drive on a stock type pump and if it is not enough, then put pulleys and a belt on it.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BigDave65 June 30th 2010, 10:15 pm

There are overdrive pulleys available for the Moroso electric motor set up. They really move some water compared to the little pulley that comes in the kit.
BigDave65
BigDave65

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down