BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SFI Safety updates

5 posters

Go down

SFI Safety updates Empty SFI Safety updates

Post  bruno August 23rd 2009, 6:55 am

maybe a thread were we can up date the lastest rules and safety gear ???

how many of you guys use some sort of a Han's device ??

have you heard off this new rule in addition to a drive shaft loop they also want some sort of a driveshaft tunnel a housing that completely surrounds parts of the driveshaft

and then a small sactioning body(ORSCA) wants to put a rule into place to put a safety blanket on the intercooler's that are mouted in the passenger compartment

here is a video of the intercooler problem Shocked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8ZkE7QlSuU&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eoutlawracing%2Ecom%2FMESSAGEFORUMS%2Ftabid%2F53%2Fforumid%2F1%2Fpostid%2F40677%2Fview%2Ftopic%2FDefault%2Easpx&feature=player_embedded#t=132

www.OakleyMotorsports.com
www.Induction-Solutions.com
www.bfevansraceparts.com
www.ultimateconverter.com
www.keithfulpmotorsports.com
bruno
bruno

http://WWW.CKRME.COM

Back to top Go down

SFI Safety updates Empty Re: SFI Safety updates

Post  Doug Rahn August 23rd 2009, 7:25 am

Mine doesn't completely surround the driveshaft, but it should keep one from coming through the floor. It's not easy to see in this photo but it's just behind the loop with large lightning holes in it. I decided doing this a long time ago when I was building the car. I had heard of one incident were the driveshaft broke, not the joint or yoke, and ripped through the floor and almost killed the driver, it took him out of action for more than a year.

SFI Safety updates DSCF1227
Doug Rahn
Doug Rahn
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/228081

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori August 23rd 2009, 11:19 am

My buddy's altered had a tunnel surrounding the drive shaft. But it was between his legs Shocked

That intercooler blow-out sure would be hard on the ears inside the car!!! Maybe a blow-off panel would be an idea?

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE August 24th 2009, 5:58 am

You really only have to worry about a full driveshaft cover/inclosure/tunnel/tube made of .050" sheet 'moly until you get up in the faster door car classes.

But even without the full ds inclosure, just using a 360* ds loop at each end of the driveshaft within 6" of each U-joint (plus the "middle" loop built into back-half & full chassis cars) is pretty damn safe. And even if you have a car that's built in such a way that it's too hard to hang a rear 360* loop within 6" of the rear U-joint, Bickel makes a cool 360* loop that bolts directly to the 9" housing pinion support bolts.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  Bsherry August 25th 2009, 2:57 am

Doug Rahn wrote:Mine doesn't completely surround the driveshaft, but it should keep one from coming through the floor. It's not easy to see in this photo but it's just behind the loop with large lightning holes in it. I decided doing this a long time ago when I was building the car. I had heard of one incident were the driveshaft broke, not the joint or yoke, and ripped through the floor and almost killed the driver, it took him out of action for more than a year.

SFI Safety updates DSCF1227

Doug,

I wish the other side of my car was that clean Very Happy

Bruce
Bsherry
Bsherry
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content