BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

stock block limitations

+6
4thHorseman
valleydawg
dfree383
bbf-falcon
Northwest outlaw
cooter
10 posters

Go down

stock block limitations Empty stock block limitations

Post  cooter July 1st 2010, 12:25 am

I am new to this site and am looking through other topics and havent seen an answer to my question that i am sure has been discused to death. What is the hp limitation of a stock 2 bolt 460 block? I am trying to build a 575 hp and 575tq motor which is totaly reliable on the track and street use (mostly street driven) Love the site and am happy to be here!

cooter

Back to top Go down

stock block limitations Empty Re: stock block limitations

Post  Northwest outlaw July 1st 2010, 12:31 am

you will be fine. Some people have push a 2 bolt to the 1000+ mark
Northwest outlaw
Northwest outlaw

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon July 1st 2010, 5:05 am

cooter wrote:I am new to this site and am looking through other topics and havent seen an answer to my question that i am sure has been discused to death. What is the hp limitation of a stock 2 bolt 460 block? I am trying to build a 575 hp and 575tq motor which is totaly reliable on the track and street use (mostly street driven) Love the site and am happy to be here!

That would be a mild 385 series engine. Smile

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 July 1st 2010, 6:41 am

750hp is a general safe limit for 2 bolt blocks with proper parts and good tuning skills. They have been used sucessfully in much higher hp builds, But IMO your over the realistic pratical safe limit at 750......
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  valleydawg July 1st 2010, 7:02 am

You will be fine with a 600 hp engine and it should last forever!
valleydawg
valleydawg

Back to top Go down

Post  cooter July 1st 2010, 9:41 am

thanx everyone, i am being told by my machinist to buy a new 4 bolt block but i would rather spend the money on better pistons, crank and rods if i dont have to put it into a new block.

cooter

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 July 1st 2010, 9:53 am

At the level your wanting the factory block is fine..... your machinest must be a Chevy Guy?

Spend the money on H beam Rods and a good set of pistons. Ford also has a great deal on aluminum SCJ heads right now, contact Lem Evans.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  cooter July 1st 2010, 10:12 am

are the scj heads a good head for making 600 hp? I need a head with good low end torque

cooter

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 July 1st 2010, 10:23 am

yes, they will make your goals fine and are priced right.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  valleydawg July 1st 2010, 10:27 am

My car has ran 7.70's @ 175+mph...on a stock block.
valleydawg
valleydawg

Back to top Go down

Post  4thHorseman July 1st 2010, 2:35 pm

The BBF stock block is a bit of a hoss. It can take a bunch thrown at it with a solid tune. I'd agree to 750-800hp on a 2 bolt. This ain't no BBC here.

With any reputable BBF aftermarket head and a fairly mild valvetrain combo you should hit 575hp/tq like throwing a stick at a wall. Have the guys on this site critique your combo for you to dial it right in and set you up with the best deals before you spend the bucks. SCJ's would definately get you there and then plenty with the right combo, as would TFS streets and probably a number of stocker head castings which were shown some loving.

Good luck! Smile
4thHorseman
4thHorseman

Back to top Go down

Post  torkair July 1st 2010, 3:02 pm

cooter wrote:thanx everyone, i am being told by my machinist to buy a new 4 bolt block but i would rather spend the money on better pistons, crank and rods if i dont have to put it into a new block.

Sounds like your machinist is trying to make a quick buck selling you something you don't need, JMHO. Or he doesn't know about Fords...
torkair
torkair

Back to top Go down

Post  DJOHAGIN July 1st 2010, 8:27 pm

cooter wrote:I am new to this site and am looking through other topics and havent seen an answer to my question that i am sure has been discused to death. What is the hp limitation of a stock 2 bolt 460 block? I am trying to build a 575 hp and 575tq motor which is totaly reliable on the track and street use (mostly street driven) Love the site and am happy to be here!

cooter wrote:are the scj heads a good head for making 600 hp? I need a head with good low end torque

What are you planning to stick this engine into? What trans, rear end gearing, and rear tire height? Is this going to be a daily driver, or a sunny Sunday cruiser? When you say totally reliable, how many miles do you want to go before having to do a "freshen up". Is there a reason for the "575 hp" requirement?

Dave

DJOHAGIN

Back to top Go down

Post  342g July 1st 2010, 11:49 pm

Spend the money you save on a good mackinest, sounds like the one you have don't know how to build a ford, there is a boat full of guys, that say they are engine builders, but they can't build a big block ford, don't ask me how I know. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Laughing
342g
342g
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  cooter July 2nd 2010, 12:19 am

my machinist is very good but he likes to overkill things to prevent problems. He doesnt sell me the parts he just tells me what he thinks i require. I am building a 1962 unibody 1/2 ton pro street truck which i want to take on the HOTROD POWERTOUR in 2 years. 575 hp is a rough estimate of what i am aiming for but lots of torque is the requirement for this heavy truck. I havent picked a tranny yet but a c6 is probable, 18.5 x 33 tires with about a 411 gear

cooter

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty July 2nd 2010, 12:34 am

If tq is what you are mostly after, I'd drop in a good Scat 4.3" crank and bump in up in cubes. Not much cost for a lot of gain. I'd do a forged unit, easier/cheaper to balance, and definately able to handle more if you ever decide to up the power level. Cool
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down